Status
Not open for further replies.

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why the fuck does it need English voice acting for "Objection", "Hold it!" etc? Is the Japanese language that bad? Having a couple of faggots screaming words into their $20 microphones is cringey. A localization is completely unnecessary.
It's clearly a Japanese game in a Japanese setting with Japanese characters, all it requires is a translation.
I totally agree...

EVF

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Thanks for all your efforts and your hard work!!! :)

Maybe you can relase a patch with only the translation, and then later, you can make another with the English voices included?

BroBuzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would ANYONE want to play this game with English voices? I don't get it...
For the "Objection" voice clips, why not? Every single other Ace Attorney game has had English voice clips and DGS should be no exception. The fan-dub voiceclips sounded great in AAI2. I'm not advocating dubbing the cutscenes, but dubbing the voiceclips should be well within the reach of a fan translation like this.

And jesus christ this thread is a shitshow. It's obvious a lot of people here don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Last edited by BroBuzz,

LegendaryPlayerFer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm not from the US or the UK, English is not even my mother tongue, so why the hell would I want to hear those shouts? Besides...localization. Damn, I hate that, for the same reason: why must I submit to the decisions of a yank localizer, who 95% of the time make huge mistakes? And beisdes, this game can't and musn't be localized. As CAPCOM themselves said, it's too Japanese. That doesn't mean they couldn't translate it though, but then again, it's an online petition, it means nothing. Cheers and keep up the translation, and make it text only ^-^!!!

BroBuzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not from the US or the UK, English is not even my mother tongue, so why the hell would I want to hear those shouts? Besides...localization. Damn, I hate that, for the same reason: why must I submit to the decisions of a yank localizer, who 95% of the time make huge mistakes? And beisdes, this game can't and musn't be localized. As CAPCOM themselves said, it's too Japanese. That doesn't mean they couldn't translate it though, but then again, it's an online petition, it means nothing. Cheers and keep up the translation, and make it text only ^-^!!!
There's so much wrong with this post and it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. Let's break it down:

I'm not from the US or the UK, English is not even my mother tongue, so why the hell would I want to hear those shouts?
Because this is an English fan-translation. You seem competent enough with English to the point where you should understand simple voiceclips like "Objection" and "Hold It!". Would you prefer these be in Spanish?

Besides...localization. Damn, I hate that, for the same reason: why must I submit to the decisions of a yank localizer, who 95% of the time make huge mistakes?
Huge mistakes such as? The vast majority of game translation are high quality. There's the occasional typo or improper grammar, especially in a text heavy series like Ace Attorney, but those are not even close to being "huge mistakes".

And beisdes, this game can't and musn't be localized. As CAPCOM themselves said, it's too Japanese. That doesn't mean they couldn't translate it though, but then again, it's an online petition, it means nothing.
Capcom has said nothing about translating DGS, they have never said it was "too Japanese" to translate. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences between translations and localizations. Translating is the act of making text understandable in your target language. Localization is taking that translated text and adapting it so it conveys the meaning behind the original text. The words are often used interchangeably and almost every single translation in existence localizes some aspects of the text. For instance, let's say DGS has a Japanese Pop Culture reference. In a straight translation (which is what you're advocating for), this reference would fall on deaf ears because no English reader would get it. In a localization, you would change that Japanese Pop Culture reference into an English one, as an English-speaking audience would properly get the reference. For video games, there's varying degrees of localization work done on each unique game. For a series like Persona, they localized less aspects of the games, like character names, compared to other series because the series is heavily based around Japanese culture and the translators assume the English audience buying the games (i.e. a more hardcore audience/weeabos) are more familiar with Japanese culture than most people because of how niche the series is. For a series like Ace Attorney, where the mainline games aren't based heavily around Japanese culture, they localized more aspects of the games, like character names. This is also because Capcom wanted Ace Attorney to be a success overseas so they tried to reach as wide of an audience as possible with the first few games, hence changing the location from Japan to LA. The current localization director for the series, who came in after AA1, even admitted this was a mistake by the old translation team, but it's too late to change it and now they're just rolling with it.

All of this makes translating DGS interesting. Phoenix Wright's Japanese name is Ryuuichi Naruhodou. And the name of the main character in DGS is Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, Phoenix Wright's ancestor. But how do you translate that into English? In English, Phoenix Wright's canon last name is "Wright", so you just localize Ryuunosuke Naruhodou's into "______ Wright", right? But DGS obviously takes place in Japan and is heavily based on late 19th century Japanese culture; Ryuunosuke is a blatantly Japanese character and that is an aspect of the plot. So what do you do? If you do a straight translation, not localizing any aspect of the names, like what you're advocating for, you lose the connection between Phoenix and his ancestor.

Last edited by BroBuzz,

KingDatcom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
At the moment we plan to change at least the bubbles if we can, seeing as they're pretty much the icon of the series. However we don't have to, and the main priority is on the script.

Remember we can compromise and have multiple patches if we need to.

jojosobjection

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyone here who is currently working on the project? I spoke to luyairis who recommended I talk to someone on the project. I want to offer my services for the project. I might be a bit busy today so if you could either send me a message on here (so I'll get an email) or on skype (just put something to let me know you aren't a spammer) at kaitokidlotus1990 I would appreciate it as I would hate to inadvertently miss a conversation.

luyairis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, small update:

Contact the other members of the group if you wanna join. I left the group to focus on my upcoming moving.

jojosobjection

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any people who frequent this thread that are active members of the project? Idk if making a new thread is the best idea (I feel like there are already plenty of dead threads for this project). It might just make it appear as if the project is dead. Sorry if I am just overthinking things.

KingDatcom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any people who frequent this thread that are active members of the project? Idk if making a new thread is the best idea (I feel like there are already plenty of dead threads for this project). It might just make it appear as if the project is dead. Sorry if I am just overthinking things.
Yes, hello. We will make a new thread if we have to but for now there no reason to change.

As for the project, we're stalled. Our coders simply don't have enough time to figure out the files. If you or anybody you know has significant 3ds hacking knowledge, please PM me.

jojosobjection

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...that's outside my very limited knowledge. I'll ask a few of my friends if they have any ideas. I'll keep on doing research when I'm not busy.

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Translation first, then release it. Minor details such as English exclamations can come later. That would be ideal, we're very eager for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet...