Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendaryPlayerFer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There's so much wrong with this post and it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. Let's break it down:

Because this is an English fan-translation. You seem competent enough with English to the point where you should understand simple voiceclips like "Objection" and "Hold It!". Would you prefer these be in Spanish?

Huge mistakes such as? The vast majority of game translation are high quality. There's the occasional typo or improper grammar, especially in a text heavy series like Ace Attorney, but those are not even close to being "huge mistakes".

Capcom has said nothing about translating DGS, they have never said it was "too Japanese" to translate. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences between translations and localizations. Translating is the act of making text understandable in your target language. Localization is taking that translated text and adapting it so it conveys the meaning behind the original text. The words are often used interchangeably and almost every single translation in existence localizes some aspects of the text. For instance, let's say DGS has a Japanese Pop Culture reference. In a straight translation (which is what you're advocating for), this reference would fall on deaf ears because no English reader would get it. In a localization, you would change that Japanese Pop Culture reference into an English one, as an English-speaking audience would properly get the reference. For video games, there's varying degrees of localization work done on each unique game. For a series like Persona, they localized less aspects of the games, like character names, compared to other series because the series is heavily based around Japanese culture and the translators assume the English audience buying the games (i.e. a more hardcore audience/weeabos) are more familiar with Japanese culture than most people because of how niche the series is. For a series like Ace Attorney, where the mainline games aren't based heavily around Japanese culture, they localized more aspects of the games, like character names. This is also because Capcom wanted Ace Attorney to be a success overseas so they tried to reach as wide of an audience as possible with the first few games, hence changing the location from Japan to LA. The current localization director for the series, who came in after AA1, even admitted this was a mistake by the old translation team, but it's too late to change it and now they're just rolling with it.

All of this makes translating DGS interesting. Phoenix Wright's Japanese name is Ryuuichi Naruhodou. And the name of the main character in DGS is Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, Phoenix Wright's ancestor. But how do you translate that into English? In English, Phoenix Wright's canon last name is "Wright", so you just localize Ryuunosuke Naruhodou's into "______ Wright", right? But DGS obviously takes place in Japan and is heavily based on late 19th century Japanese culture; Ryuunosuke is a blatantly Japanese character and that is an aspect of the plot. So what do you do? If you do a straight translation, not localizing any aspect of the names, like what you're advocating for, you lose the connection between Phoenix and his ancestor.

No, I understand perfectly the difference between translating and localizating, and that's the whole point. When I criticized localizations, I was talking in general, BUT, the official Spanish versions of ALL GAMES translate from English spoken localizations, and I friggin' hate that. IMO, the team should focus in translating and nothing more for this particular title. As for the shouts, I prefer them in Japanese because I'll always value the source material. If I watch a Hollywood movie, I watch it in English, for example. I NEVER watch anything dubbed, EVER. For the Ryuunosuke part? Easy: you could say that Phoenix had a Japanese ancestor, if the connection is ever mentioned in-game. If it's not...who cares? The experience won't be changed at all.

Note: errors in localizations?? None??? Really??? Google Legends Of Localization and see for yourself. Some changes are stupid. The thing is...I hate the concept of localization. Is bigot and nationalist, and it doesn't encourage to learn new cultures.

Last edited by LegendaryPlayerFer,
Reactions: Noroxus

jojosobjection

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am stuck trying to decrypt DGS but I can't get Decrypt9UI to load from the Homebrew. I think I should probably take a break though. I feel like I've been researching and attempting stuff for like 8-9 of the last 10-11 hours. I want to help the coders but my knowledge is definitely still lacking. Knowing my luck I'm probably doing stuff that is unnecessary.:(

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
If you managed to decrypt the text so are the pointers if located in the same file (*.gmd, if I recall). Or this game use AAI #1 pattern and pointers are located in main code.

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why not let the actual team decide what to do? Be patient.
Why would they make a thread if they aren't interested in feedback? What I suggested is just convenient, do the necessities first, then the extra bells and whistles which are just for pleasure later. It's hard to avoid spoilers these days, so the earlier we get the game, the better.

Last edited by shahanshah,

spacorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I'm pretty sure this must have been brought up at some point, but since I have these two tabs open, I might as well leave this tip in case it hasn't been noticed yet:
There's a very advanced fan-translation of this game on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTSZwQu41cKBhot7R5MzPYg
Hopefully there's a chance of cooperation between you guys hacking the game and this other translation team that has already done a good portion of the work.

jojosobjection

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have the .3ds file for DGS decrypted and extracted. Although by the time I got to that point I was half asleep so I didn't really get much done (or even realize what I was doing/needed to do). Right now I want to view the .gmds with the Ace Attorney GMD tool but I can't seem to get it to work. I feel like the file path might be too long which is causing it to crash.

If you managed to decrypt the text so are the pointers if located in the same file (*.gmd, if I recall). Or this game use AAI #1 pattern and pointers are located in main code.

Do you know what the pointers look like? Also I know that the reason to use pointers is to reference something in memory, do you have any idea what it would be referencing?

I'm pretty sure this must have been brought up at some point, but since I have these two tabs open, I might as well leave this tip in case it hasn't been noticed yet:
There's a very advanced fan-translation of this game on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTSZwQu41cKBhot7R5MzPYg
Hopefully there's a chance of cooperation between you guys hacking the game and this other translation team that has already done a good portion of the work.

IIRC there is a post on court-records that has most of the text already translated (I believe it was linked earlier in this thread). It just needs to be proofed.

Last edited by jojosobjection,

AceAttorney524

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any people who frequent this thread that are active members of the project? Idk if making a new thread is the best idea (I feel like there are already plenty of dead threads for this project). It might just make it appear as if the project is dead. Sorry if I am just overthinking things.

You know I did make my own thread for this kind of problem. It looks like most of the team is not doing this anymore and they haven't given downloads to what's been completed

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
See on GMD extractor :
static byte[] xor_cipher(byte[] data)
{
string key1 = "fjfajfahajra;tira9tgujagjjgajgoa";
string key2 = "mva;eignhpe/dfkfjgp295jtugkpejfu";

for (int i = 0; i < data.Length; i++)
{
char x1 = key1[i % 32];
char x2 = key2[i % 32];

data = Convert.ToByte(data ^ x1 ^ x2);
}
return data;
}

Where does Key1 and key2 came from guys ?

SoyAlexPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You know I did make my own thread for this kind of problem. It looks like most of the team is not doing this anymore and they haven't given downloads to what's been completed

I DON'T TALK FOR THE TEAM, I TALK FOR MYSELF.

Dude seriously, your thread was created so you can get control over the project. We have a team at the moment and we are working on the project, sadly, we don't make money out of this so some people have to work or go to school, you know? real life stuff, we are doing this because we are fans and love the franchise. Your thread is just as dead as this one or even more. We haven't posted anything on here because WE ARE WORKING, we won't post every two seconds of the progress. There are no download BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A PATCH YET. It's not like *puff* translation is completed y'all, because it's not that simple, and if it was somebody else would do it. Like I said not to long ago WE ARE WORKING AND PLEASE DON'T ASSUME NOTHING TILL WE SAY SO.

For the translation we are working with K-sha's translation and using it as a starting point. Once we are comfortable with how the things are going we will make a new thread. But I hope this is the last time I say this. It's coming, please wait.

D

Deleted User

Nobody wants to move to your retarded thread, this one is fine. The only reason you made that thread is because you want to hijack the project and insert your own autistic music into the game.

Also, downloads for what? The fan-translation is nowhere close to having a playable build as of now. It's obvious you have no idea how this works.
"nah man it's easy just use google translate and yandex translate and you'll be good 2 go how is this not done already lmaoo"

D

Deleted User

I'd play a Google translated version, sounds fun
From personal experience, Yandex Translator gives better bad results, and it's easier to translate a phrase from language to language because it has a button that moves the translated phrase over to the box where you input text to translate, and automatically changes to the correct language. I was making a "Vietnamese EarthBound" (referencing Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal) a while back, and there was a phrase that contained "Oh!" and every time you translated it into Vietnamese and back into English, Yandex Translator would throw on another "Oh!". The phrase said something about you not having enough money to buy an item and ended up becoming something along the lines of "Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! You don't have enough money!", though the last part was nearly incomprehensible at that stage.

Ace_arcanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
They are doing what they can. Let them work in this whenever they have free time to do it. They have work to attend, maybe university or something else. They also have problems or want a moment to spare doing nothing like everyone. We arent paying them for this, and they are making it because they like the game like us. Do your best team, you are heroes( I always say this to teams that work in translating games), no matter what people say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    QuarterCut @ QuarterCut: my reaction to such information +1