PS1/2 Pre-programmed PSX Modchip?

About7fish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an SCPH-9001 and I'd like to mod it (after I learn to solder). Problem is, I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure which chip to go for, I'm not sure who even still sells PSX modchips (eurasia is the only vendor I've even found so far), I'm not sure if I'll have to program it myself, I'm not sure what materials and knowledge would be necessary to do so, and so on.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a (preferably stealth) modchip that comes pre-programmed and a vendor from which to purchase?

About7fish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While looking a little bit more, I found this. Is this any good? And this sites schematics kinda suck, can anyone tell what 2, 3, and 6 are pointing at? The instructions for the 7 wire counterpart are crystal clear, but I'm not sure the 7 wire has as good of stealth as the 8 wire.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While difficult to tell for sure, that modchip appears to be similar to the Stealth Elite modchip modchip.ca (modchip.us) used to sell before they shutdown. The product from modchip.ca was always reliable and worked well, although all of the image links on that site appear to be broken. A quick search leads me to believe the Stealth Elite modchip was actually the more common MM3. The first site you mentioned has the MM3 hex files and install diagrams. While they appear to still sell pre-programmed chips, I’ve heard that shipping is from China and slow. Just remember to make sure whatever option you choose is compatible with your PSX region/model and that you use the install diagrams from the site where you buy the chip or download files. There are a number of different PSX modchip offerings, and each used its own wiring scheme.

I took a look at the install diagram that you mentioned and it appears to be at least as good a quality as you can hope to expect. If you are having difficulty interpreting it, try enlarging the image slightly. The #2 is pointing to the “top left” pin of a chip, #3 is pointing to the “left” side of either a resister or capacitor, and #6 is pointing to the “top” side of either a resistor or capacitor.

When installing the modchip, just go slow, make sure you are making solid connections with no shorts, you don’t damage anything, and you don’t leave wire clippings or small pieces of solder loose in the system. Additionally, the first thing you should do is plan on where you are going to mount the chip and how you are going to route the wires. Try to not cross any wires or have them cross over an existing component. The PSX is a relatively easy console to chip, so you should be fine, just go slow and be careful.

About7fish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only disparage that diagram because its 7 wire sister chip on the very same site's diagram is so much more clear and detailed.

There's certainly no rush, I haven't even learned to solder yet. I just want to make sure I get the highest quality modchip with the best stealth mode available. I don't know if that comes in the form of an MM3 from Eurasia or from what I linked in the second post, but I'm hoping one of you do. Thanks for your input so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does...