Hardware Misc PS1/2 Unknown Modchip and Mechapwn Question

Jebi_Bones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to use Mechapwn while I already have a Modchip without any problems. I own a Slim PS2 (9xxxx series) with a modchip already installed, however I noticed that it doesn't load PSX backups (PS2 Backups work fine). I purchased a memorycard with OPL preinstalled (not FreeMCboot, just directly it boots into OPL version 1.0.0) to use POPStarter, although the compatibility isn't the best. While investigating my modchip (which apparently is some matrix clone, however I don't really know which one), I found that using the Mechapwn exploit you can load PS2 and PSX backups without problems.

I don't have that much technical knowledge about PS2 modding, so could I use Mechapwn while the modchip is installed? The exploit attacks the same chip that the modchip is already using, so I don't want to brick the system.

If so, what would you recommend? Also, can I even load Mechpwn with just OPL? If it is a .elf file I think you can run them with OPL (like the homebrew apps and the POPStarter backups I currently use) but I'm not sure in the case of the exploit.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tested the console with burnt PS2 CD games? It seems weird to be that a PS2 modchip doesn't support ps1 games so I'm wondering if it's a CD issue.

Jebi_Bones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Have you tested the console with burnt PS2 CD games? It seems weird to be that a PS2 modchip doesn't support ps1 games so I'm wondering if it's a CD issue.
I do remember playing a burnt cd copy of Half-Life years ago in this same PS2, although I can't really find it anywhere, so I probably lost it. I will buy some CDs tomorrow and test it again.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I haven't looked too much into Mechapwn, but regarding the PS1 game issue, try booting from standby with the PS1 game inserted and by holding down the Power button until after the Eject button lights up

Jebi_Bones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello, I tested a fresh burnt copy of Half-Life and it works fine. However, I burned two different PSX games and they don't work.
At first it loads into a black screen and then it either stays stuck in the black screen or goes back to the red error screen ("Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 disc.")
Post automatically merged:

I haven't looked too much into Mechapwn, but regarding the PS1 game issue, try booting from standby with the PS1 game inserted and by holding down the Power button until after the Eject button lights up
I have a slim ps2, it doesn't have an eject nor reset buttons, just power.

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
Although this PS2 is the older model the comments say just hold power for a few seconds.

Have you tried pressing triangle on the controller at console boot as that can bring up some options.
Also do you have an original PS1 game to test boot.

Jebi_Bones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Although this PS2 is the older model the comments say just hold power for a few seconds.

Have you tried pressing triangle on the controller at console boot as that can bring up some options.
Also do you have an original PS1 game to test boot.

I tried the power button method, but the screen just stays black or the system just resets (if I press it for too long).
I can access the Matrix Infinity boot menu by pressing Triangle and Circle, and I already enabled all PSX related options. The Bios seems to save the settings, but still no luck.
Just for the record, the Bios states that it is a Matrix Infinity v1.99 firmware, which means it is a clone, although I don't know which one. Probably a Modbo 4 or 5, for what I've seen on the web, but take that with a grain of salt as I am not knowledgeable in PS2 Hardware modding.

Edit: Sadly no, I don't have my original PSX games in a playable state anymore. That's why I wanted to play backups CDs.
Post automatically merged:

Okay, I just decided to open up my console to find out what Modchip it has installed. Here are the pictures, maybe someone knows what chip it is and what is causing the problem.

Attachments

• chip2.jpg
    chip2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 11
  • chip1.jpg
    chip1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by Jebi_Bones,

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
In case you are unaware here is the control list copied from ps2-home.com

Originally Posted by Matrix Infinity Website wrote:
NOTICE!!
On turning on the PS2 the Infinity will start to look for the Joypad in slot 1.
If no Joypad is present the Infinity will keep on looking for it for about 10/15 seconds.
The screen will remain BLACK in these 15 seconds.
After the time elapses Infinity will boot the PS2 normally.

⭕ - Boots Chip/system into PSX DVD Video mode. This forces the PS2 to either play PS1 games or DVD movies.

🔺 : - Forces the system to boot the Infinity Manager (if installed - To install, please refer to the Infinity Manager section in this tutorial)

❌ - Forces the system to bypass settings and boot to the Sony Browser with the chip enabled.

:start: - This Disables the chip. Once this is done, tap the standby button to reset the system to finish disabling the chip. To Re-enable the chip you must place the system into standby.

:select: - This forces a Fast boot on PS2 games. Basically skipping the startup animation and PlayStation 2 Logo on disc boot.

:R1: - This boots a homebrew ELF file from the first memory card mc0:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF If installed - To install, please refer to the DEV1 section of this tutorial.

:L1: - This boots a homebrew ELF file from the hard drive if installed hdd0:/__boot/boot.elf. To install, please refer to the DEV2 section of this tutorial.

:triangle: + :circle: - To enter the Configuration Menu, hold :triangle: + :circle: at power on.

Reactions: BigOnYa

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I just decided to open up my console to find out what Modchip it has installed. Here are the pictures, maybe someone knows what chip it is and what is causing the problem.
This is a Modbo/Matrix Infinity clone. The firmware, v1.99, is not official and doesn't contain major differences over the final 1.93 release. Depending on which place you get them from, some doesn't save the configuration properly. Maybe swap the chip over for a Modbo 4 or 5.

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
To add I have seen a scph 90004 with matrix v1.93 chip and also changed to DTL H90001 with MechaPwn.

Appears to work without problem with PS2 and PS1 backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto