Post your scary moments, if you had any when doing the A9LH CFW install:))

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by retrofan_k, May 26, 2016.

1. TheAnt317

TheAnt317 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Earth
    Pretty much the entire process was one long scary moment for me. Luckily for me, everything went really well aside from the occasional Homebrew app failure to open and having to reboot to try opening it again, and the downgrade to 2.1 causing a black screen on boot with the SD card in. I feel like following the NOOB friendly guide's parts about formatting the 3DS and the SD card helped. That and taking my time, re-reading and re-checking everything twice before proceeding. The whole process of the Plailect guide took me about 7 hours.

Last edited by TheAnt317, May 27, 2016
  2. Hunter Guimont

Hunter Guimont John Wick

Jan 5, 2016
    Canada
    Everything worked out pretty good for me besides the time that my friend closed my 3ds while it was downgrading (emunand). I just restored a backup and re-did it.

emuashui likes this.
  3. retrofan_k
    OP

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    You A9LH'd you're boyfriend?:D Bet that was fun. Need to check with my Girlfriend on that myself:P

4. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    Nothing happened on A9LH masterace masterace. ;O;

5. retrofan_k
    OP

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    But on a serious note, I have noticed quite a few have mentioned the 2.1 black screen issue of not removing the SD card. I forgot to mention I did that too and got nervous until I remembered why.

6. PaiiNSteven

PaiiNSteven Newbie

I bricked downgrading to 2.1, so when I did it on my other 3DS i was sweating bullets.

7. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I kept getting an error with the NFIRM. Then an error occurred message. Turns out that I had the firmware bin in the root of the SD instead of in the LUMA folder.

8. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    1. before downgrade, backing up these or those nands and whole sdcard content, with fear that what would go bad to the nnid within the sysnand (and also in emunand, both nands linked, as a previous unlinking of them went wrong ending up freezing in Data Management and was only fixed by restoring earliest backup of the sdcard content).

1.5 Not knowing how to verify if restoring TWL / AGB modification can be considered successful and thus safe to start downgrade. After several Tempers said they managed to downgrade without having TWL AGB modification undone, i proceeded as well successfully.

2. hestitating whether to downgrade from 11.0 or 10.7 emunand, as i only know for sure 11.0 is currently unlikely to downgrade without hardmod.. i finally chose 10.7 emunand for downgrade.

3. what the, booting up my n3dsxl at 2.1 gave "flicking" screen display, the guide does not mention! Luckily manged to obtain the otp file.

Last edited by emuashui, May 27, 2016
  9. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada
    After installing a9lh on my o3ds and 2ds, my n3ds bricked during 2.1 downgrade . I was able to install a hard mod and restore it though after ordering the correct SD card reader. After, I installed a9lh on my n3ds just fine...

10. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    downloading the WRONG firmware for my 3DS. I can't believe I did that.....downloaded N3DS firmware for my O3DS....BRICK! (Thankfully I had the money to buy a N3DS within a couple days)

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Nah he injects code into me :tpi:

retrofan_k likes this.
  12. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    And when a Mommy code and a Daddy code like each other very much, a new program is formed.

XRaTiX, hobbledehoy899 and DinohScene like this.
  13. HenryLeonheart

HenryLeonheart GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2014
    Back when Plai published the original guide with CN or Browserhax, it said specifically to NOT do it on a N3DS without a hardmod and I just thought "Ah fuck it, I'll try it anyway. If it bricks, so be it." So I did the whole procedure without a hardmod, reading everything carefully and slowly and when I booted 2.1 for the first time, the guide didn't say that you had to remove the SD card in case it didn't boot. So I was just looking at my console with a blank expression thinking about how I bricked it until I had the idea of removing the sd card to see if it booted because of past menuhax problems I had had in the past. Turns out it worked and I continued the guide. Good times :rofl2:

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  14. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2015
    Antarctica
    And that's why you use Luma3DS!

15. naivegirl2411

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    I had a problem that I was pretty lucky to resolve:

I just managed to get my OTP on 2.1 and needed OTP helper to restore my system back to a FW where I could access HBL. Unfortunately backing up 3ds with different versions of OTP helper leads to incompatibility and locks the user out of restoring a nand backup that isnt verified. I didnt know what to do and rushed into updating my system using my game cart (ORAS) which should have taken my system to FW 8-something IIRC. Not only did I realise afterwards that this meant I was marooned on that FW but my 3ds started to act up and prevented me from accessing ANYTHING without freezing. I managed to boot into recovery to update AND get cubic ninja the next day which I thank my lucky stars for

16. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I spent an hour figuring out why I could not update A9LH after using the older non-screen init CloudA9H payload.
    I was getting a message telling me that the OTP.bin could not be found or was corrupt. I knew for a fact it was not corrupt and that is what bothered me the most.

Turns out, I named the A9LH folder "AL9H" and that is why it did not work.

----------------------------------------

Second scenario:
    I did a quick 10 minute A9LH install on a O3DS by downgrading to 2.1, with no 9.2 NAND backup and forgot that 11.0 was out already (10.7 was the latest when I did this method the time before)
    I got to 2.1 then realized I could not use recovery to get to 10.7 to downgrade to 9.2

I ended up using a cart with 4.5 (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity) then used PastaCFW via MSETHax to boot SysUpdater then updated to 9.2.

---------------------------------------
    Third scenario:
    I downgraded my friend's brand new N3DS XL to 9.2 via @Plailect's guide then had the error occured screen when FIRM was being downgraded. I was able to fix this by rerunning SysUpdater and letting it downgrade FIRM and it succeeded.

emuashui and Tomato Hentai like this.
  17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This is the one true scary moment:
    [​IMG]

XRaTiX and retrofan_k like this.
  18. astronautlevel

astronautlevel GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Maryland
    This wasn't even my first time doing it, it was more like the fourth, I forgot to select (keep a9lh) when I was transferring EmuNAND to SysNAND. Fortunately only 10.7 was out at the time and I had cubic ninja, so it didn't turn out to be a big problem in the end, but I was repeatedly slapping myself the rest of the day.

emuashui likes this.
  19. starly396

starly396 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2010
    United States
    Berkeley, CA
    Whew, I somehow came out of it alive!

At the end of Step 3, after upgrading my RedNAND to the latest system version, I was unable to boot into it. I got the "Preparing home menu" screen, but after the progress bar finished the screen stayed black. I tried several more times, and now the progress bar wouldn't even fill before the screen faded to black. I asked a friend what to do, and they suggested "it's okay, just restore from your 9.2 rednand backup and try again." Turns out I hadn't backed it up yet, as I was out of space on my hard drive and thought this wasn't a very crucial/dangerous step. Apparently it was!

I was about to give in and sacrifice all of my old save data by reformatting, but as a last resort I tried deleting the theme data after stumbling upon https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/commen..._to_backup_your_3ds_folders_on_its_sd/ctoqubt.

Lo and behold, the progress bar filled again and it booted properly! Strangely I had only updated to 9.9 instead of 11, but updating once more fixed everything else! It was smooth sailing after that, having fun configuring my boot manager! al9h ftw

emuashui likes this.
  20. Dorimori

Dorimori local death grips enthusiast

Mar 17, 2016
    United States
    the closet
    Your average OH MY GOD MY SCREEN IS BLACK AFTER 2.1 AND MY SD CArd is still in...

retrofan_k likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted