Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small question, but how would one go about installing a RAM tracer on the 3DS if taken apart? I might be able to get my hands on a spare, and I'd like to be able to get a RAM dump. Or is the problem that nobody can dump the RAM?

Goldneedle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question: if 3DS had been hack, could it also unlock region lock too?
I sick with that f*cking stupid lock already, waiting US game is such :hateit:

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Perhaps someone could make a .tmb file (for Colors 3D) than when put on the SD Card and loaded with Colors 3D, it freezes the system with buffer overflow?

NathanDuma

Trophies
XP
Perhaps someone could make a .tmb file (for Colors 3D) than when put on the SD Card and loaded with Colors 3D, it freezes the system with buffer overflow?
Probably not.
If it wouldn't work with the camera, why would it work with Colors!?
Also @RaulPica it was true anyway.
………………………......…………………………………………………………………………...__,,,---~''¯'\,
……………………_,,,----,…………………………………………………………………___,,,---~~''¯¯ . . . ,/'
…………….._,-~'¯ ; ; ; ; ;'\,----,……………………………………………………….,~'' . . . . . . . . . . __,-~~'¯
………,_,-~'¯; ; ; ; ;,-'¯¯¯'' '¯~'\,|,……………………………………………….._,-~' . . . . . . . ._,--~'''¯¯
…… '¯¯; ; ; ; ; ;_. ,/' . . .¯'o~- '|…………………………………………_,-~-~'¯ . , . . . . ¯¯\, . . '\,
……¯¯,-~*_ . /' . '\| . . . . . . . .'\…………………………………_,-~*'¯,/',/' . . . . .¯¯¯'~----,,,\,,,, .'\,
………..¯¯--, .'\, . . . . . . ,--~-,' '|…………………………_,-~*'¯ ; ;;;;; | .| . . . . . . . . . . . : . .|¯'*| .|
…………….."\,-'¯''|, . . .,/' ¯¯'-/'/………………….._,-~'¯¯; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;; '| .'| . . . . . . . . . .___,,--~'~''|
……………….| . . '\, . . '\,; ; ;|/'.__,-~~--,_,/'¯¯'~'¯; ; ;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; '|,'\, ---,_,,---~'''¯\\''~''''¯¯,--~/''
………………/'____ '''`~-,,,--~'''¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; /' ; ;;;;; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;'\, .'~-,,-~''~---~''''~---~~'''¯
…………….,/'¯'\, . .¯¯,~';;;;;;; ; ;/' ; ; ; ; ; ;;;;;/ ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;'~,--~''¯¯';,/'
…………..,/',--,-~',_,~'' ;/';;;;;;;;;/';; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;'~-,_,/'/'
……….,,~'| /' /' . ,~'~-,;;;;;;;;;;;;|;; ;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ;,__,,,,,,-----~~'''¯
……,~'' ,/'/'/ : | .,/';;;,~';;;;;;;;;;;;'\,;;;;;; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;_,-~''¯¯
….,/' ;,/;;;|' : :|,/';;-~' ¯¯¯ ;;;;;;;;;;''\, ; ; ;;;;;;; ;_,,,---~~'''¯¯
…,|;;;;'|;;;| :,/';;,~' |;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; '\;;;;; ; ;;,/'
…|';;;;;'|;;| /',~';;;;|';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;''~-~''¯/
..,|;|;;;;;\;||/';;;;;;;|';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;/'
,/'|;'|;;;;;;,|';;;;;;;;|';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ;,/'
;;;|;|;;;;,|';;;;;;;;;;|';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ;,/'
;;;|;|;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,/'
;;|';|;;;;|';;;;;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; ;|'
;;| |;;;;'|;;;;;;;;;;;'|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; |'
;;| |;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
; | |;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
/''| |;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; '|
..| |;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;'\,

They are 2 different applications, so it's worth a try.

Reactions: 2 people

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my 3ds today (sweet!) so yeah i was playing smackdown vs. raw 2008 (ds mode) and i removed the cartridge for fun. the game went to a black screen but nothing appered saying the game was removed or anything and when i pressed home it said return to menu? some can happen here?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it is a fantastic idea to get the homebrew channel, for the 3DS. What cam be ways to install it though? Is there going to be some SD card thing like the Wii?

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It'd be as useful and TIMED as the Sudokuhax exploit for the DSi. Nintendo could pull the application and fix it quickly, or even just push an update out. Given that the 3DS can update itself (according to the ToS), it may be a bug that'd only last a day.

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably not.
If it wouldn't work with the camera, why would it work with Colors!?
Also @RaulPica it was true anyway.

If TMB files aren't encrypted, it's worth a try...
Can anybody upload one?

On a side note, a buffer overflow would be the key to the exploit, and not to the softmod itself.

EDIT: FYI, people have tried doing buffer overflows on Pushmo and Pyramids, but they failed.

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
Looked into Colors 3D files... they look unencrypted, but don't they use the .drw extension (but still their own format)?

EDIT: After another very quick look I noticed this:

Magic ID: !loC

Header: Length: 0x159?
Header: Creator name offset: 0x40
Header: Creator name offset2: 0x80
Header: Drawing name offset: 0xC0

(Pixel?) Block: 4 bytes, usually starts with 0xFC, 0x10, or 0x01

I don't see any obvious checksums... unprotected?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Looked into Colors 3D files... they look unencrypted, but don't they use the .drw extension (but still their own format)?

EDIT: After another very quick look I noticed this:

Magic ID: !loC

Header: Length: 0x159?
Header: Creator name offset: 0x40
Header: Creator name offset2: 0x80
Header: Drawing name offset: 0xC0

(Pixel?) Block: 4 bytes, usually starts with 0xFC, 0x10, or 0x01

I don't see any obvious checksums... unprotected?
Um... try modifying the data (eg, creator name) and see if Colours 3D still loads it. If it does, there's probably no checksum. If it doesn't, there's probably a checksum, hash or some kind of file signature. You could also try sharing the file data with another 3DS owner. If it loads on their 3DS, then that makes it a viable target for an exploit if a vulnerability can be found.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... try modifying the data (eg, creator name) and see if Colours 3D still loads it. If it does, there's probably no checksum. If it doesn't, there's probably a checksum, hash or some kind of file signature. You could also try sharing the file data with another 3DS owner. If it loads on their 3DS, then that makes it a viable target for an exploit if a vulnerability can be found.
Actually, it's called Colors! 3D.
The EU release isn't looking like it will change the name, and since there isn't one at all, there's no point in you saying it the other way.
Kinda like "Mariokart". Nobody says "Mario cart".

Reactions: 1 person

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just realized how stupid Nintendo is to put 3DS digital downloads on the SD card. Now we can examine the contents of the software and possibly find an exploit!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: as to you