Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just realized how stupid Nintendo is to put 3DS digital downloads on the SD card. Now we can examine the contents of the software and possibly find an exploit!
Gosh, you're definitely onto something there. Can't believe Nintendo didn't think of that. And no one else in this thread has thought of doing that! You're a genius, we'll have an exploit in a matter of hours :O

Note: This is sarcasm. Nintendo did nothing in the slightest bit stupid. The files on SD are encrypted and signed (probably several times, judging by the Wii). There is no way you are going to be able to decrypt them without knowing at least the 3DS common key, and probably a few others as well (SD key, maybe a per-console key specific to your device). None of these are common knowledge. So good luck with that.

Reactions: 4 people

Coltonamore

Time to stop Tron Bonne!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Man why didn't I think of that before now I will try to do that with my 3ds hack loader program for the 3ds to try and hack it using a swap note for an explot dang why didn't I think of that
I hope you're kidding, right?
nope not kidding at all I'm going to try it no one will stop me not even nintendo.

ytzone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
Looked into Colors 3D files... they look unencrypted, but don't they use the .drw extension (but still their own format)?

EDIT: After another very quick look I noticed this:

Magic ID: !loC

Header: Length: 0x159?
Header: Creator name offset: 0x40
Header: Creator name offset2: 0x80
Header: Drawing name offset: 0xC0

(Pixel?) Block: 4 bytes, usually starts with 0xFC, 0x10, or 0x01

I don't see any obvious checksums... unprotected?
Um... try modifying the data (eg, creator name) and see if Colours 3D still loads it. If it does, there's probably no checksum. If it doesn't, there's probably a checksum, hash or some kind of file signature. You could also try sharing the file data with another 3DS owner. If it loads on their 3DS, then that makes it a viable target for an exploit if a vulnerability can be found.

Unfortunately, since Colors! hasn't been released in Europe yet, I can't test it... if anyone wants to test modified DRWs, PM me. I can't just attach it to the post as it's not my drawing :P

Anyway, my fellow Colors! fans... does anyone know whether the app loads .drw files, and if they contain the replay?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, it's called Colors! 3D.
The EU release isn't looking like it will change the name, and since there isn't one at all, there's no point in you saying it the other way.
Kinda like "Mariokart". Nobody says "Mario cart".
Yup, I know what it's called. I'm still going to write it Colours! 3D out of principle. Also, Mario Kart is the correct title name, "kart" is more appropriate than "cart" in this case because the former defines a small racing vehicle. Kart is neither slang nor an Americanised spelling poisoning the English language in my country of origin.

IIRC, the Colours! 3D devs intended drawings to be posted to their online gallery, so it could be that they intentionally left the drawings unencrypted so they could be posted to the gallery manually, for those that don't have a consistent network connection for the 3DS.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='McHaggis']
Sorry for taking offense, but "Poisoning the English language"?
Since the inhabitants of England left to go to America, the mutations of language have been much more in England than America.
Do your research when you feel you must be offensive.

Also, Colors! 3D is the title of the game. Any game (and there are a lot) that says "Krazy" in the title is not corrected, because that's the title.
Also, all of these posts are going to be deleted because they're off-topic.

Reactions: 1 person

JuanGomezFernand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Soon we known a 3DS mode exploits, trying to analyze the system to verify possible weak points 3ds.

A possible way is looking for a root via JTAG but this is far.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Soon we known a 3DS mode exploits, trying to analyze the system to verify possible weak points 3ds.

A possible way is looking for a root via JTAG but this is far.
Who's "we"? And, AFAIK, the only games console ever to have been hacked using JTAG is the XBox 360.

@[member='McHaggis']
Sorry for taking offense, but "Poisoning the English language"?
Since the inhabitants of England left to go to America, the mutations of language have been much more in England than America.
Do your research when you feel you must be offensive.
Apology accepted, but really, there's no need to be so sensitive. You took those words out of context, I actually said "poisoning the English language in my country of origin", meaning that Americanisation (mostly due to media, TV, etc) is causing a lot of misspellings in today's youth. You're also missing the point; I wouldn't correct "Krazy" because it's not an American spelling for "Crazy", it's an attempt at creating buzz by doing something crazy with the word crazy (for which I'm sure there's a defined term I'm unaware of). What initially started out as a half-joking attempt at rebellion against the potential purveyors of such Americanisation has ended up derailing the thread because of your over-sensitive nature. "Lighten up, dude" (you Americans say that, right?). :wink:

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just realized how stupid Nintendo is to put 3DS digital downloads on the SD card. Now we can examine the contents of the software and possibly find an exploit!
Gosh, you're definitely onto something there. Can't believe Nintendo didn't think of that. And no one else in this thread has thought of doing that! You're a genius, we'll have an exploit in a matter of hours :O

Note: This is sarcasm. Nintendo did nothing in the slightest bit stupid. The files on SD are encrypted and signed (probably several times, judging by the Wii). There is no way you are going to be able to decrypt them without knowing at least the 3DS common key, and probably a few others as well (SD key, maybe a per-console key specific to your device). None of these are common knowledge. So good luck with that.
I know that already, but atleast we're able to examine the contents. That could be useful in the near future!

JuanGomezFernand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
SORRY.

SifJar, on 11 April 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In hexditor I can only see only 0, but translated TTL and CMOS header files therefore no value exists in the absence of Boolean functions. Or 3ds have a very low voltage and his chispet work in such tensions, or most likely the logic state is not understood because it encrypted with a programming language Nintendo.

Sorry for my bad English.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that already, but atleast we're able to examine the contents. That could be useful in the near future!
No, "we're" not because, as I said, they are encrypted. You may need to look that up, it means you cannot examine it.
No reply
Then don't reply. In all honestly, I believe this thread should be reserved for actual hackers.* The "ideas" thread should be in the EOF.

*of course, there's no way to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!