Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can we hack a 3ds like a ps2?

have a cheap game when it load a part quickly switch the game to a flash card with only the game but alter the coding to at that part when it load to open a patcher that allows a any flash card to run in 3ds-mode

(just an idea)
Since the games have the ability to get updates, any exploit would likely see a patch quick.

As for hotswapping as you mentioned, I doubt it. I think it either just freezes or goes back to the home menu.

they cant update if you turn of the wireless
True, but without wireless you lose Swapnote, Streetpass, Nintendo Video updates, multiplayer....
free games/backups (dont know what side ur on) or that

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can we hack a 3ds like a ps2?

have a cheap game when it load a part quickly switch the game to a flash card with only the game but alter the coding to at that part when it load to open a patcher that allows a any flash card to run in 3ds-mode

(just an idea)
Since the games have the ability to get updates, any exploit would likely see a patch quick.

As for hotswapping as you mentioned, I doubt it. I think it either just freezes or goes back to the home menu.

they cant update if you turn of the wireless
True, but without wireless you lose Swapnote, Streetpass, Nintendo Video updates, multiplayer....
free games/backups (dont know what side ur on) or that
I am on the side of doing as much as I can with the hardware I buy.

Reactions: 1 person

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember the 'emulator' cards for the 8052 'smart cards' that let you clone cards?
Replacing the CPU wouldn't be practical but is very much possible. Too bad you'd need millionsbillions to buy a factory! ;)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This may be of mild interest, but I do mean mild.

Awhile ago I found a way to use Link's Awakening DX to freeze up the 3DS, by a bug that anybody can do, but of little significance.
Before, doing the glitch would make the 3DS totally unresponsive, but now the system will be aware that an error has occurred, forcing it to close the software and reboot the 3DS.
It returns to the home menu and is totally locked down, home button will do nothing, pressing power will not display the "software closed" screen. All you can do is press A or tap the icon, or otherwise press and hold the power button. Even removing the SD card will do nothing.

gallery_125264_224_40745.jpg

Does a similar screen appear when trying to use a blocked flashcart?
There are two possible reasons this is different from before, it's either the 4.0.0-7E firmware I installed today, or the update for the Virtual Console title I downloaded from the eShop today.
Whatever the reason, the 3DS knows how to handle unexpected errors differently now and I guess that kinda has some significance, it might reduce the possibility of relying on a crash to run an exploit...

It should be noted however that the "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER" password crash on Metroid (NES) will still lock up the system as before, unresponsively.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has anybody tried tilting the cartridge?
which cartridge?
He's talking about physically messing around with the cartridge orientation to make glitchy things occur.
This was a common practice on the N64 with hilarious results, done right. Arguably one of the most famous examples is to cartridge tilt Goldeneye on N64.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJQb_9CVHc&feature=related

Cartridge tilting on the 3DS would probably prove all too difficult though, with the cartridge being completed nested into the system rather than sticking out, an added nub on the side that stops 3DS carts fitting into the DS, and the cartridge slot being spring-loaded.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember the 'emulator' cards for the 8052 'smart cards' that let you clone cards?
Replacing the CPU wouldn't be practical but is very much possible. Too bad you'd need millionsbillions to buy a factory! ;)
so what does that have to do with anything?
Well if the copy protection is inside the chip... It's very relavent since they had the same idea of locking down the CPU itself instead of just relying on external code read from a ROM.

I believe it works like this:
1) CPU checks the contents of a memory chip on the circuit board... The NOR Flash ROM in other words.
2) Flash ROM's code checks the contents of the game cartridge or similar storage (NDS carts and SD cards in this case).
3) Both have multiple checks to prevent "once hacked, always hacked" exploits without hacking the entire thing. So getting one (private) encryption key or exploiting one check is not enough. They'll just patch the Flash ROM if we get a game exploit to somehow work and then we can't run newer carts. No CFW like on PSP, in other words.

So if you had a way to modify the CPU to ignore the check or replaced the CPU with one that did... It should be obvious why this would work but isn't very practical. It's like asking us to use one of those 'fake NDS' systems mentioned in another topic. It's better if the official system can be made to work without essentially replacing possibly the hardest component to replace.

sillyrabbit221

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so since this post has reached 52 pages I am sorry if this idea has already been mentioned. (which i dont see why it wouldnt have been)

So i recently letterbombed my 4.3U wii and it made me think, the 3ds is very similar in layout (though I have no idea codewise)

And you can see your mac address on the 3ds, and there is a sd slot. So wouldn't it be plausible to create a letterbomb technique for the 3ds? My only issue that I seem to notice is, is there even a message board on my 3ds? Ive been looking and have only found the notifications page, and am not sure if that is the same.

Anyways what are the thoughts on this?

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay so since this post has reached 52 pages I am sorry if this idea has already been mentioned. (which i dont see why it wouldnt have been)

So i recently letterbombed my 4.3U wii and it made me think, the 3ds is very similar in layout (though I have no idea codewise)

And you can see your mac address on the 3ds, and there is a sd slot. So wouldn't it be plausible to create a letterbomb technique for the 3ds? My only issue that I seem to notice is, is there even a message board on my 3ds? Ive been looking and have only found the notifications page, and am not sure if that is the same.

letterbox

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

sillyrabbit221

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

letterbox

Ah, I see you have to download it, no wonder I can't find it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings