Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would like to see a port of turok or turok 2 from pc. I know it can be done and I would even be willing to help.

Do you have any sources to work with?
Do you have any prior coding experiences?

Could this be useful to reach your goal: https://github.com/svkaiser/TurokEX ?

EDIT:

Apparently not. As far is i understand, the code linked to, would be an early adaptation of the long released Turok available on steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/405820/Turok/

Other than this, i'm not aware of any turok port being available.

Last edited by MrHuu,
Reactions: Nutez

FairInHeight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any sources to work with?
Do you have any prior coding experiences?

Could this be useful to reach your goal: ...

I do have good knowledge of C++ which as far as I understand is the language the 3ds likes, and other than the source code for the pc version of turok i have no definitive sources but if someone can take quake or doom and make it run on the 3ds im pretty sure we could water down the pc remaster of turok and lock the graphical settings and transfer it over. Turok is coded entirely in angelscript which is a C++ style script (i'm part of the turok modding community is how I know all this) so if the time was put in to turn the exe source code into something the 3ds could run, the rest of the game data can be slapped on top and i could even mod it to disallow tweaking of advanced graphical stuff to help it run better on the 3ds. The only thing i would need is someone who knows how to take source code and make it recognizable for the 3ds and is able to make the buttons on the system emulate the control setup and we are in business. we basically need a bootlegged 3ds enabled kex engine (turok engine) and tell players to drag and drop their game.kpf file from their legit copy to the turok 3ds directory that way we are doing it legit. I am willing to pour my heart and soul into this and even put blood sweat and tears into giving it stereoscopic 3D support. I just need to know where i can find someone who can help on the 3ds side of things.

Last edited by FairInHeight,
Reactions: MrHuu

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do have good knowledge of C++ which as far as I understand is the language the 3ds likes, and other than the source code for the pc version of turok i have no definitive sources but if someone can take quake or doom and make it run on the 3ds im pretty sure we could water down the pc remaster of turok and lock the graphical settings and transfer it over. Turok is coded entirely in angelscript which is a C++ style script (i'm part of the turok modding community is how I know all this) so if the time was put in to turn the exe source code into something the 3ds could run, the rest of the game data can be slapped on top and i could even mod it to disallow tweaking of advanced graphical stuff to help it run better on the 3ds. The only thing i would need is someone who knows how to take source code and make it recognizable for the 3ds and is able to make the buttons on the system emulate the control setup and we are in business. we basically need a bootlegged 3ds enabled kex engine (turok engine) and tell players to drag and drop their game.kpf file from their legit copy to the turok 3ds directory that way we are doing it legit. I am willing to pour my heart and soul into this and even put blood sweat and tears into giving it stereoscopic 3D support. I just need to know where i can find someone who can help on the 3ds side of things.

Please do understand that the Quake and Doom ports are built from well maintained source code, coded with portability in mind. For both, the engine code has been released officially.

The Turok source linked to in the previous post, is an early attempt to re-create something similar. But it evolved into a closed-source commercial product.

Do you have any other open sources available? If you do, please share.
As far as i'm aware no other Turok ( kex engine ) ports are available to public. For any platform.

The game itself could definitely run on a 3DS, but without any working source code it will be quite a struggle to get it running. Definitely out of my league.
I'd say, don't get your hopes up to high. But i love to be proven wrong.

FairInHeight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please do understand that the Quake and Doom ports are built from well maintained source code, coded with portability in mind. For both, the engine code has been released officially.

The Turok source linked to in the previous post, is an early attempt to re-create something similar. But it evolved into a closed-source commercial product.

Do you have any other open sources available? If you do, please share.
As far as i'm aware no other Turok ( kex engine ) ports are available to public. For any platform.

The game itself could definitely run on a 3DS, but without any working source code it will be quite a struggle to get it running. Definitely out of my league.
I'd say, don't get your hopes up to high. But i love to be proven wrong.

Okay I can look around for something

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Speaking of old games being ported, anyone thinks they could maybe do a port of Dungeon Master? Really loved that game, but it's a pain playing it on modern computers because it's an 8bit executable (meaning you need XP/earlier or XP Mode to play it) unless emulating it and also would be great to have on the go, but PSP (what I use for emulating stuff most of the time) has too wide a screen for old 4:3 games to look good, meaning the 3DS would be a better fit (but can't run Amiga/DOS/Atari ST games). It might even be possible to put the control panel on the bottom screen so it feels like a 3DS game...

So, anyone thinks they could maybe just try and see if this could be done without way too much work?

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

sodoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The Game Boy Color has an IR sensor, correct? The 3DS has IR too, so maybe loading GBC homebrew from the 3DS can be possible?

Last edited by sodoguy,

darkweb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Speaking of old games being ported, anyone thinks they could maybe do a port of Dungeon Master? Really loved that game, but it's a pain playing it on modern computers because it's an 8bit executable (meaning you need XP/earlier or XP Mode to play it) unless emulating it and also would be great to have on the go, but PSP (what I use for emulating stuff most of the time) has too wide a screen for old 4:3 games to look good, meaning the 3DS would be a better fit (but can't run Amiga/DOS/Atari ST games). It might even be possible to put the control panel on the bottom screen so it feels like a 3DS game...

So, anyone thinks they could maybe just try and see if this could be done without way too much work?

You could check out my release of Dungeons of Daggorath on the 3DS to get a dungeon crawler quick fix: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-dungeons-of-daggorath-3ds.560934/

I took a look around and it looks like there is an SDL port of Dungeon Master and it's sequel called CSBWin: https://github.com/BeipDev/CSBWin
Based on that alone, it might be portable to both the PSP and 3DS.

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You could check out my release of Dungeons of Daggorath on the 3DS to get a dungeon crawler quick fix: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-dungeons-of-daggorath-3ds.560934/

I took a look around and it looks like there is an SDL port of Dungeon Master and it's sequel called CSBWin: https://github.com/BeipDev/CSBWin
Based on that alone, it might be portable to both the PSP and 3DS.
Dungeon Master's source code IS available and it has been ported to most systems already so it's definitely possible, there's even a SNES VC version for the 3DS, it's just that I'm on O2DS so can't run SNES games, only NES, meaning a homebrew port would get around that...

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A stand-alone MAME emulator would be the sh*t

I concur. It has been proven many times that the whole Retroarch approach is a handicap for the 3DS. The physical features are just too different from the "mainstream" devices, like a PC with a separate controller, or phones where the controls, menus etc have to be put on an overlay of the main screen. The bottom touch screen is such a big deal, it requires so much customization to make full use of it, you can't stay within the framework of Retroarch anymore.

The best example is Vice3DS for the Commodore 64, below. For MAME and other arcade-ish platforms I envision crazy features, like portrait cabinets where the screen is split between bottom and top screen.
The best part is though, that you can let the emulation run uninterrupted, while you have the controls and menu running, changing the virtual machine settings on the fly. You can also display cabinet artwork on the bottom screen. It would be so cool, MAME afficionados will purchase a 3DS for the experience.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-vice3ds-c64-emulator.534830/
2-png.195186

PrisonMike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird request but a gb/gbc with a menu style, home menu icon, and features similar to VirtuaNES and SNES9x. Super Game Boy Compatibility, GBC palettes, the works. I know mGBA exists, but i'm making this for my son, who has really bad OCD. He likes emulators on his 3ds, and likes them to look like VirtuaNES for some reason. I'm not a programmer, but Iassume it wouldn't be too difficult, because mGBA exists.

Last edited by PrisonMike,
Reactions: Area69

Area69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird request but a gb/gbc with a menu style, home menu icon, and features similar to VirtuaNES and SNES9x. Super Game Boy Compatibility, GBC palettes, the works. I know mGBA exists, but i'm making this for my son, who has really bad OCD. He likes emulators on his 3ds, and likes them to look like VirtuaNES for some reason. I'm not a programmer, but Iassume it wouldn't be too difficult, because mGBA exists.

Honestly, that's not a bad idea. I would like that, even as a person without OCD. Granted, I started taking graphic design courses online, but I'm sure people would like that.

Also how is gb/gbc compatibility, mainly with the sgb palettes

Reactions: PrisonMike

HangerGuardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A way to play games in local multiplayer mode over the internet would be awesome. Some games only support local multiplayer and tons of others have many more options for game modes when played locally.

Reactions: PrisonMike

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it