Possibly won't be home to block IPs before the 5.1 update pushes out. Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by LeifEricson, Jul 21, 2014.

1. LeifEricson
    OP

LeifEricson Coming Soon™

Jun 22, 2012
    United States
    New York, USA
    Basically, I went on a pretty long vacation to Florida. Long enough that this whole "block IPs to stop updating when 5.1 comes out" thing happened while I was here. I know there's still a lot to get done before homebrew is even viable, but I want to stay on 5.0 regardless.

Standby mode is currently on on my Wii U back home, and it's plugged in. Is it going to auto update if the update really does come out and I'm not home in time for it? Or will it not update until it's booted and then I could cancel it?

2. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    You might be okay. The first time you fire on the Wii U make sure its not connected to the internet and hope for the best I guess..... Theres no way of knowing for sure until you get home I presume

3. darkseekerliu

darkseekerliu Advanced Player

Jun 13, 2013
    Brazil
    Drakonia
    The best option I see is the following: If you have someone you trust and have access to your house (e.g. father/mother/brother or sis) call them and ask them to pull the plug off the outlet. Or you can call and ask your neighboor to shut down the main energy switch of your appartmen/house.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can always try using Remote Desktop if your PC is turned on or can wake up upon request, then you'll be able to access the router.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if you have a static external IP, you should be able to access the router remotely anyways. ;)

5. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    This is a really bad idea, unless you don't have a refrigerator in your house (which I doubt).

6. soratheultima

soratheultima GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Why not just delete the wifi connection that you have set up on the Wii U during that time? (assuming you are using Wifi)

7. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    hes not at home, no way to disable it remotely. He's on away on vacay.

8. darkseekerliu

Jun 13, 2013
    Brazil
    Drakonia
    Now that you said it you are absolutely right. But as he said that he 'went to a long vacation' some of the things that are on the refrigerator may be expired when he comes from his vacation...

But the remote access suggested by FOXI4 seems to be the best alternative, if he has set up his machine to work remotely he will be able to log into his computer where he can access the router and disable the internet connection...

9. soratheultima

soratheultima GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2008
    Gambia, The
    now that i have re read it, it makes a little bit more sense now.

10. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States

lol

11. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States

I'm assuming you and everyone who lives/has access to the house is with you. And you are not "borrowing" internet access. Then, call up your isp and suspend internet access until you return. Tell them you left computer on and are paranoid someone will hack into while you're gone. "Snowbirds" from the northern states often suspend services while in AZ or FL over winter months. This is not uncommon to many utilities(companies).

12. LeifEricson
    OP

LeifEricson Coming Soon™

Jun 22, 2012
    United States
    New York, USA
    Alright well, I don't have remote access installed on my new computer. I also don't have anyone currently at home to disconnect it. My neighbors don't have a key... I basically screwed myself. Might call my ISP later to have them do what Bug_Checker_ suggested.

13. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

I don't know a single other person who does this besides me, but it's the most convenient thing ever. I can get on any of my computers from my phone, anywhere.

14. darkseekerliu

Jun 13, 2013
    Brazil
    Drakonia
    I agree if you. Its very nice to have all your devices at the palm of you hand.. I use teamviewer, What do you use?

15. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States

I use teamviewer all the time at work XD.

16. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

TightVNC for the server, and RealVNC for the client. VNC is so light-weight, but isn't very good for streaming video over the air.

AKA, it does it's job enough.

17. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    If you can afford such a long vacation in Florida, can't you afford to buy a new Wii U if it does update by itself?

Taleweaver and the_randomizer like this.
  18. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    OMG this is so funny I had to reply. If you ever had a fridge die on you then you would know how horrible this is. It takes forever to get the stink out and the clean up is terrible!

justinkb and TeamScriptKiddies like this.
  19. mutinize

mutinize dazed and confused

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    Oh you'll probably be fin-

Owch. I'm sorry. With any luck you might be able to circumvent it by booting into Wii mode and then to the Wii U menu, assuming it hasn't updated by itself.

20. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
  21. jaouad
    This message by jaouad has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 22, 2014, Reason: off topic.
    Jul 22, 2014