• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trophies
XP
Who cares how old it is, well, obviously you people do, but the electoral college is in place for a reason. Take it away, and there is no democracy, just the big cities dictating what laws get passed and who gets elected. That doesn't sound like democracy to me.
holy shit we got an education problem

RyanfromWork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Chary. Slavery would still be a thing.... Who side was it that started the civil war? It couldn’t have been Lincoln’s side, since he was a republican....

I’m confused how all those people who were against abolishing slavery ended up getting any of their votes.

Trophies
XP
I agree with Chary. Slavery would still be a thing.... Who side was it that started the civil war? It couldn’t have been Lincoln’s side, since he was a republican....

I’m confused how all those people who were against abolishing slavery ended up getting any of their votes.
the parties flipped during the civil rights era, more specifically southern democrats switched to the republican party as the parties became more socially polarized

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares how old it is, well, obviously you people do, but the electoral college is in place for a reason. Take it away, and there is no democracy, just the big cities dictating what laws get passed and who gets elected. That doesn't sound like democracy to me.
Tell us again how the electoral college brings democracy. Most of you fail to realize that a presidential candidate can win 100% of the popular vote & not win any electoral college votes because there are no laws in place that prevent electoral college votes from going against the people vote.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia

I see you're one of those guys who thinks that the democrats of today are the democrats of the 1800s.

Let's look at something more interesting. The first map is of the United States during the Civil War. The red states are the confederate states. The second map is of the current presidential race as I screenshotted seconds ago. Ope, looks like those confederate states arent full of democrats. Ope, looks like your argument fell apart.

Because the people living in the states that were pro slavery are now by and large conservative states.

f9y3ehafojj41.png
SmartSelect_20201104-134331_Google.jpg

RyanfromWork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parties flipped. I remember being taught that in school.

Isn’t it interesting how a party represents an idea. Or they align with similar thoughts on topics?

So when people start mixing ideas, why is the entire party “flipped”. Makes no sense to me. The people who were against abortion and now are pro abortion should they leave their party to go to the other party?

Its like capitalism suddenly like communist ideas. The communist country’s wouldn’t start calling themselves capitalist.

“ A rose by any other name would smell as sweet“. A Democrat’s a democrat. A republican is a republican.

Why did the past find it necessary to call a Democrat a republican and vice verse?

I find that hard to swallow. It’s almost convenient weak excuse..... please do not take this as anything but a conversation.

I love hearing opinions. I think psychology of humans is much more interesting than politics.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

The republican party was formed during Lincoln's presidency in order to abolish slavery. There was no such thing as republicans or democrats before that. The thing is, though, is that political ideologies shift all the time. When LBJ ended Jim Crow, all the democrats went republican. Racists and nationalists align themselves with whatever party supports their worldview, and the ending of segregation is what turned the south red.
You mean if it's taken away, a republican would never win. Please explain how gerrymandering is in any way representative of a democracy.

Reactions: IncredulousP

RyanfromWork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you don’t believe the people and population in the 1800s even remotely come close to today’s census.

I’m not white but I’m born and raised in this nation.

How can the map from 1800 showing the southern states be relatively even remotely close to what is going on in today’s age?

Please keep this civil. I really do not care for anything but facts. I will never slander you. But don’t criticize me if i am not aware of things you are aware of.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Joom... exactly all the democrats went republican. Why did they decide that changing names is best? The name should represent their ideals. Just because a large group of one side changes their mind, so instead of switching sides they switch the meaning behind being a democrat and republican?

Also.... would you want one party to always hold power??

Last edited by RyanfromWork,
Trophies
XP
I hope you don’t believe the people and population in the 1800s even remotely come close to today’s census.

I’m not white but I’m born and raised in this nation.

How can the map from 1800 showing the southern states be relatively even remotely close to what is going on in today’s age?

Please keep this civil. I really do not care for anything but facts. I will never slander you. But don’t criticize me if i am not aware of things you are aware of.

Joom... exactly all the democrats went republican. Why did they decide that changing names is best? The name should represent their ideals. Just because a large group of one side changes their mind, so instead of switching sides they switch the meaning behind being a democrat and republican?
they didnt change names, in the civil rights era the parties became very polarized in social policy whereas before both parties had socially liberal and socially conservative factions so southern democrats (a huge wing of the democratic party and what controlled the entire south) switched to the republican party and socially liberal republicans switched to the democratic party, i can link a good video on it

RyanfromWork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please? That would clear up a lot of my confusion regarding the “switching”.

Or you can tell me keywords to look up in YouTube if you don’t wanna link. I’m sure I can find it.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The Republican Party was committed to restricting the growth of slavery, and its victory in the election of 1860 was the trigger for secession acts by Southern states. The debate before 1860 was mainly focused on the Western territories, especially Kansas and the popular sovereignty controversy.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/republican-party-founded

Are you agreeing with me, or...? *shrug* Maybe not during his presidency, but that was the purpose of it, and he was the first republican president.

Last edited by Joom,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/republican-party-founded

Are you agreeing with me, or...? *shrug* Maybe not during his presidency, but that was the purpose of it.
In Ripon, Wisconsin, former members of the Whig Party meet to establish a new party to oppose the spread of slavery into the western territories.
Thats not the same as abolishing slavery. Not in intend, not in direction, not in effort, not in claim, not in proclamation, not in... ;)

It basically was a conflict between ongoing industrialists and the landownership-nobility which operated on a conflicting business model. :)

Humanitarian efforts were nowhere to be seen during the 'setup' of this conflict. But they make for a good story for the after unification periods. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Joom
Trophies
XP
Thats not the same as abolishing slavery. Not in intend, not in direction, not in effort, not in claim, not in proclamation, not in... ;)

It basically was a conflict between ongoing industrialists and the landownership-nobility which operated on a conflicting business model. :)

Humanitarian efforts were no where to be seen during the 'setup' of this conflict. But they make for a good story for the after unification periods. :)
the south still believed that slavery was under threat and needed to be protected at all cost to 'preserve their way of life', no matter what lincoln indicated before and during his presidency

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

Humanitarian efforts were no where to be seen during the 'setup' of this conflict. But they make for a good story for the after unification periods. :)
I was mostly generalizing as the party's formation eventually led to it. At least over time it became the inherent goal.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I was mostly generalizing as the party's formation eventually led to it. At least over time it became the inherent goal.
Yes, after unification, certainly.. ;) (You had black people fighting on the front, you had to give them something. How about something without value to you, that you dont care about? Hey, good luck fellas! Hows that freedom treating you? What segragationist state? Sorry, cant hear you pal, the lines not so good... ;) )

edit: But then the south went na-ah. And installed a defacto segregationist system, and nobody in an important position seemed to care for another 50+ years. They did that to 'protect' their societies/their way of life. (Protect in quotes for a mountain of reasons. As in - well, powerstruggles and PR BS out of those.)

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

So... please explain to me how say idk. Popular vote wouldn't be democratic. If anything, it could be argued as more democratic than the electoral collage.

the electoral collage goes against it, it allows minorities of people to be in power. If I recall correctly, back in 2016, Hillary had 3,000,000 more votes than trump. That's a fuck ton of votes to be said f you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist