• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very ironic that its a conservative complaining about not being able to download paid products for free when the right wing narrative is that "liberals just want free stuff".
My problem isn't with free stuff, it's with "free" stuff. The difference is one affects nobody while the other is paid by taxes.
Bringing up Marxism won't work, as that affects everyone negatively.
I sell modded accounts and have made well over $2000.
Good for you.

Reactions: GhostLatte

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
My problem isn't with free stuff, it's with "free" stuff. The difference is one affects nobody while the other is paid by taxes.
Spoken like a true fascist. Like you know anything about Marx or what's good for the tax payer. You're not even old enough to legally pay taxes.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: IncredulousP

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good for you.
You do know that piracy isn't "free" as you're using the word, yes? People took the time to work hard to make the thing you're downloading like a leech.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoken like a true fascist. Like you know anything about Marx or what's good for the tax payer. You're not even old enough to legally pay taxes.
Sales tax exists.
You do know that piracy isn't "free" as you're using the word, yes? People took the time to work hard to make the thing you're downloading like a leech.
A few people like myself downloading these games off of the internet isn't going to prevent good developers from making a profit. Plenty of indie developers are okay with piracy, including the developers of Freedom Planet, Just Shapes & Beats, and even Minecraft (before it got bough out by Microsoft).

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good for you.
What about free college? College education isnt an object, it doesnt "steal" anything physical from the teacher, all it takes is their time and effort the same way making a game or movie would. But im sure you'd object to allowing people to go to college for free.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sales tax exists.

A few people like myself downloading these games off of the internet isn't going to prevent good developers from making a profit. Plenty of indie developers are okay with piracy, including the developers of Freedom Planet, Just Shapes & Beats, and even Minecraft (before it got bough out by Microsoft).
  1. If everybody pirated games, there would be no profit.
  2. By pirating a game, you are reducing profit.
  3. By pirating a game, you are leeching something of value from the hard work of others.
  4. Whether or not some developers are okay with piracy is irrelevant to whether or not piracy is moral (it's immoral) or legal (it's illegal).

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Sales tax exists.
It sure does, doesn't it. What's your point?
Yeah, and you're not entitled to any of it for free, either. Also, anyone that pirates indie games is scum. I don't care if there's a handful out there who are trust fund kids who don't rely on their work as a means of survival. They aren't representative of the grand majority who have to grind tirelessly to kick out a passion just for some punk kid detached from reality to come along and steal it. And to think, you conservatives call us the degenerates. It's even sadder to see a kid such as yourself so detached, because it just means you're gonna have a really hard time adjusting to what actual reality is like once you're an adult.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If everybody pirated games, there would be no profit.
That's the thing: not everybody does.
By pirating a game, you are reducing profit.
No.
By pirating a game, you are leeching something of value from the hard work of others.
What are your thoughts on Epic Games' Free Game of the Month?
Whether or not some developers are okay with piracy is irrelevant to whether or not piracy is moral (it's immoral) or legal (it's illegal).
Illegal? True. Immoral? False.
What about free college? College education isnt an object, it doesnt "steal" anything physical from the teacher, all it takes is their time and effort the same way making a game or movie would. But im sure you'd object to allowing people to go to college for free.
Fair point.
Yeah, and you're not entitled to any of it for free, either. Also, anyone that pirates indie games is scum. I don't care if there's a handful out there who are trust fund kids who don't rely on their work as a means of survival. They aren't representative of the grand majority who have to grind tirelessly to kick out a passion just for some punk kid detached from reality to come along and steal it. And to think, you conservatives call us the degenerates. It's even sadder to see a kid such as yourself so detached, because it just means you're gonna have a really hard time adjusting to what actual reality is like once you're an adult.
If you're making a living off of game development, you probably have more than enough good people buying your games. Some indie developers see pirates as publicity.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing: not everybody does.
When assessing the morality of an action, figuring the consequences of the action if everyone did it is a hallmark in figuring if it's immoral or not. Did you know that? You also never provided a substantive response to my point about you not wanting someone to download a free copy of something you worked hard to make. That's your MO. You ignore substantive rebuttals and just barrel through the conversation. Concede, offer a better rebuttal, or go away.

If you pirate a game instead of buying it, the developer makes less money.

What are your thoughts on Epic Games' Free Game of the Month?
It's irrelevant. The developer receives a kickback and/or advertisement, and most importantly, the developer consents.

Illegal? True. Immoral? False.
Piracy is immoral. You are downloading for free something the developer intends for you to purchase. You are violating the rights of the developer. If you directly benefit from a service I provided, for example, it would be immoral for you to not pay me what I charge for that service.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: 0x3000027E

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When assessing the morality of an action, figuring the consequences of the action if everyone did it is a hallmark in figuring if it's immoral or not. Did you know that?
So I'm not the only homophobic individual here...
If you pirate a game instead of buying it, the developer makes less money.
If you buy a game used instead of new, the developer makes less money.
It's irrelevant. The developer receives a kickback and/or advertisement, and most importantly, the developer consents.

Piracy is immoral. You are downloading for free something the developer intends for you to purchase. You are violating the rights of the developer. If you directly benefit from a service I provided, for example, it would be immoral for you to not pay me what I charge for that service.
Would you say that Adblock is immoral?

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no moral problems with everyone having consenting sexual relationships with the people they're attracted to. Hell, there are no moral problems with everyone being homosexual.

If you buy a game used instead of new, the developer makes less money.
If you buy a game used, you're paying (some of) the cost the original owner paid to the developer. Like, this isn't a hard concept to understand. The original owner also has the legal right to sell their own property.

It is, yes.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A truly tight election, it was fun to watch. A few things are pretty sus, but that's for the courts to settle. Historic turnout for both sides, bigly energy - hopefully that's an indication for future . As far as the numbers go, GG Team Blue.

Regarding the off-topic discussion about piracy, it's most definitely immoral to download content you do not own a license for. With that said, piracy causes negligible losses to rights holders - the phenomenon of a "lost sale" is deceptive and grossly overblown. A pirate downloading a video game was highly unlikely to purchase the game in the first place - people with TB's worth of ROM's weren't planning to buy hundreds of games. If they would've bought any at all, it'd be a couple at best. The likelyhood that they would've bought a platform that they *can* pirate on instead is significantly higher. This is why many developers nowadays choose to distribute their games DRM-free - the primary victim of aggressive DRM is the consumer, not the pirates.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no moral problems with everyone having consenting sexual relationships with the people they're attracted to. Hell, there are no moral problems with everyone being homosexual.
Think of the effects on the population. That seems to be something you're obsessed over with the Coronavirus.
If you buy a game used, you're paying (some of) the cost the original owner paid to the developer. Like, this isn't a hard concept to understand. The original owner also has the legal right to sell their own property.
You own a house and you can let as many people as you want in.
It is, yes.
*laugh track*

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
How did you get homophobia out of that? My god, you conservatards really reach far, don't you?
No, because there's a difference between consenting over your privacy, and stealing. Ad blockers don't cost sites or content creators money. It's not the same as theft in any way since the money didn't exist in the first place without those ads. In fact, in the case of YouTube, content creators either have to abide by YouTube's Draconian monetization rules, or go a different route. Even if they decide to stay monetization safe, Google takes most ad revenue (and Superchat revenue). What content creators get from ads is pitiful. This is why many create their own promotions for different companies, have Patreons, or some other third-party means one can support them through.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of the effects on the population. That seems to be something you're obsessed over with the Coronavirus.
There are no harmful effects on the population when everyone is having consenting sexual relationships with the people they're attracted to. There are no harmful effects on the population when everyone is homosexual. 99.9% of sex is not reproductive, and that doesn't change in either scenario. Hypothetically, people can and would continue to procreate in both scenarios.

Also, hypothetically, it's not immoral for a generation to choose not to procreate and for the human species to go extinct because of it.

You own a house and you can let as many people as you want in.
What is your point?

*laugh track*
I hope you understand that these mindless quips that don't convey anything of substance are analogous to a white flag of surrender. Actually respond or go away.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How did you get homophobia out of that? My god, you conservatards really reach far, don't you?

No, because there's a difference between consenting over your privacy, and stealing. Ad blockers don't cost sites or content creators money. It's not the same as theft in any way since the money didn't exist in the first place without those ads. In fact, in the case of YouTube, content creators either have to abide by YouTube's Draconian monetization rules, or go a different route. Even if they decide to stay monetization safe, Google takes most ad revenue (and Superchat revenue). What content creators get from ads is pitiful. This is why many create their own promotions for different companies, have Patreons, or some other third-party means one can support them through.
He's (incorrectly) arguing that if everyone were gay, then there would be no babies, and that's immoral.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see how using an Adblock would in any way constitute an immoral act. Advertisers pay for advertising spots on websites, but at no point are they ever guaranteed that the ads will be delivered to every customer. You can choose to ignore a flyer in the same way when walking down the street - you just say "no, thank you". You're in no way obligated to look at ads and you're welcome to take any measure to avoid them, advertisers pay per click or per displayed instance, there is no extra cost attached to ads that were blocked by the user. It decreases the revenue for the website in question, that's the only verifiable "loss", and I still don't find it immoral. In fact, given the possible vulnerabilities associated with ads, I recommend using an adblocker on sites that you don't trust and whitelist on a case-by-case basis to protect your privacy and data.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, hypothetically, it's not immoral for a generation to choose not to procreate and for the human species to go extinct because of it.
You have lost the right to discuss morality if you'd be okay with the entire human race going extinct by our own doing.
What is your point?
You own a house and you can let in as many people as you want.
You own a copy of a game/movie and you should be able to let as many people play/watch as you want.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have lost the right to discuss morality if you'd be okay with the entire human race going extinct by our own doing.
This is hyperbolic nonsense. I've lost no rights.

That being said, there's nothing immoral about choosing not to have kids. Imaginary people who may or may not be born in the far future have no rights today. If the entire human population decides they don't want to have kids, who is harmed? If no one is harmed, it's not immoral.

You own a house and you can let in as many people as you want.
You own a copy of a game/movie and you should be able to let as many people play/watch as you want.
I'm not preventing a developer from getting money for their work by letting people enter my house. I'm uninterested in false analogies. Please try again.

Also, I bought one copy of the game, which gives me the right to do with one copy of the game what I want. It does not make copying the game moral. It's their intellectual property.

You're not going to win the argument that piracy isn't immoral.

Last edited by Lacius,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    F = Freedom units
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: F = Freedom units