• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the freedom to go shopping unmasked without faceless sheep throwing things at you and yelling at the top of their lungs. If you're scared, you can stay home. If you're not scared, you shouldn't have to wear a mattress on your face.
The freedom to ignore science while endangering others (social distancing, climate change, anti-vax). This is why your candidate is getting pummeled in the polls.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

8 Karens and Kens who threw huge tantrums instead of putting on masks
https://mashable.com/article/karen-no-mask-videos-tantrums-coronavirus/

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eight major polls from October so far:

10/6 poll- Fairleigh Dickinson University: Trump down by 10 points
10/9 poll- Atlantic / PRRI: Trump down by 11 points
10/10 poll- NBC / Wall Street Journal: Trump down by 14 points
10/14 poll- Boston Globe / SurveyUSA: Trump down by 10 points
10/17 poll- Monmouth University: Trump down by 12 points
10/17 poll- CBS: Trump down by 9 points
10/17 poll- Bloomberg: Trump down by 9 points
10/19 poll- Brookings Institute / PRRI: Trump down by 15 points

Actually those were from 2016.

It's not over till it's over.

I don't believe polls represent reality but wonder why Biden is in the process of crashing, nothing to do with the fact he is a crook and has been exposed?

upload_2020-10-18_14-55-1.png

And I don't generally hear people complaining in different states about covid and Trump, it is their governors they usually complain about. Since that is who set the rules and plans.

When many governors in states during April/May had daily covid-19 broadcasts talking about what they were doing it was not Trump on their local TV in some cases daily, it was the governors.

You think NY folks who have had family members die who were in homes are irate about Trump? LOL It's Coumo all the way that they blame.

Also more lies from Biden at the town hall:

https://freebeacon.com/2020-election/pro-trump-union-blasts-biden-for-lying-about-endorsement/

Pro-Trump Union Blasts Biden for Lying About Endorsement
Pa. Boilermakers Trustee: 'Nobody from his staff—nobody—has ever spoken with us'

upload_2020-10-18_15-6-17.png

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I guess you just break all the laws then?

Lawlessness and anarchy!
"Above all else" has a nicer ring than "except for murder, theft, and assault".
The freedom to ignore science while endangering others (social distancing, climate change, anti-vax). This is why your candidate is getting pummeled in the polls.
You're talking about the same bull**** """science""" that claims that fetuses aren't people and a man can become a woman. Do you really think I'd trust something like that?
8 Karens and Kens who threw huge tantrums instead of putting on masks
https://mashable.com/article/karen-no-mask-videos-tantrums-coronavirus/
What about the sheeple throwing tantrums when someone at a restaurant gets up for two minutes to go to the bathroom without a mask on? Does COVID only spread at a specific level?

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Above all else" has a nicer ring than "except for murder, theft, and assault".

You're talking about the same bull**** """science""" that claims that fetuses aren't people and a man can become a woman. Do you really think I'd trust something like that?

What about the sheeple throwing tantrums when someone at a restaurant gets up for two minutes to go to the bathroom without a mask on? Does COVID only spread at a specific level?
I just tricked you into admitting you're anti-science. Nice one. See you in November.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't believe polls represent reality but wonder why Biden is in the process of crashing, nothing to do with the fact he is a crook and has been exposed?

View attachment 229736

And I don't generally hear people complaining in different states about covid and Trump, it is their governors they usually complain about. Since that is who set the rules and plans.

When many governors in states during April/May had daily covid-19 broadcasts talking about what they were doing it was not Trump on their local TV in some cases daily, it was the governors.

You think NY folks who have had family members die who were in homes are irate about Trump? LOL It's Coumo all the way that they blame.

https://freebeacon.com/2020-election/pro-trump-union-blasts-biden-for-lying-about-endorsement/

Pa. Boilermakers Trustee: 'Nobody from his staff—nobody—has ever spoken with us'

View attachment 229737
You are 100% right that it's not over until it's over. Anything can happen. Anyone who doesn't realize that didn't pay attention in 2016. That being said, Clinton was ahead by 6.6 points nationally, and a lot of swing states were very close. This year, Biden is ahead by 10.6 nationally, and the swing states aren't as close. If the state polls are as wrong this year as they were in 2016 (in Trump's direction), Biden would still win the electoral college in a landslide. I'd much rather it be 2020 than 2016.

*Above polling numbers are 10/18/16 and 10/18/20.

Last edited by Lacius,

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is more important than freedom, except for God.
You don't seem to understand that progressives value freedom, probably more than conservatives do. Your mistake, as I've said to you before, is that a person's freedoms end where another person's begins. Mask mandates are one of the best ways to mitigate a pandemic. Your freedom to not wear a mask ends where my freedom to not catch COVID-19 from you begins. I've used several analogies in the past that you seem to accept, but you never rationalized your disdain for mask mandates. You haven't realized yet that you're arbitrarily ignoring the freedoms of others in favor of your own. Conservatives often have issues with experiencing empathy for others.

Similarly, your religious rights end where another person's religious rights begin. Outlawing abortion on the basis of your religious beliefs, for example, is analogous to outlawing pork because some people have the religious belief that it's not kosher. This is a secular country with secular laws. Also, while I respect anybody's right to have whatever religious beliefs they want, there isn't actually any logically sound reason to think a god exists.

It is also worth noting here that nobody who has exclusively voted Republican has ever voted for a pro-life candidate. Republicans like to talk about how much they hate abortion, but their solution is to outlaw it. We know that doesn't stop women from getting abortions. What does reduce abortion are sex education, access to contraception, access to healthcare, etc. Republicans are generally against all of these things, and that's not even getting into the fact that "pro-life" Republicans are for the death penalty, anti-social programs that save lives, anti affordable access to healthcare, etc. If you want to vote for an actually pro-life candidate, vote for Joe Biden and the Democrats.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: IncredulousP

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't seem to understand that progressives value freedom, probably more than conservatives do. Your mistake, as I've said to you before, is that a person's freedoms end where another person's begins. Mask mandates are one of the best ways to mitigate a pandemic. Your freedom to not wear a mask ends where my freedom to not catch COVID-19 from you begins. I've used several analogies in the past that you seem to accept, but you never rationalized your disdain for mask mandates. You haven't realized yet that you're arbitrarily ignoring the freedoms of others in favor of your own. Conservatives often have issues with experiencing empathy for others.
If you give up your freedoms, you don't get them back. How many times do I have to say this?
Similarly, your religious rights end where another person's religious rights begin. Outlawing abortion on the basis of your religious beliefs, for example, is analogous to outlawing pork because some people have the religious belief that it's not kosher. This is a secular country with secular laws.
Abortion isn't about religion. It's about life. COVID deaths can't be prevented. Abortions can.
Also, while I respect anybody's right to have whatever religious beliefs they want, there isn't actually any logically sound reason to think a god exists.
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
1 Corinthians 1:21‭-‬25 NIV
It is also worth noting here that nobody who has exclusively voted Republican has ever voted for a pro-life candidate. Republicans like to talk about how much they hate abortion, but their solution is to outlaw it. We know that doesn't stop women from getting abortions. What does reduce abortion are sex education, access to contraception, access to healthcare, etc. Republicans are generally against all of these things, and that's not even getting into the fact that "pro-life" Republicans are for the death penalty, anti-social programs that save lives, anti affordable access to healthcare, etc. If you want to vote for an actually pro-life candidate, vote for Joe Biden and the Democrats.
The same logic applies to guns.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you give up your freedoms, you don't get them back. How many times do I have to say this?

Abortion isn't about religion. It's about life. COVID deaths can't be prevented. Abortions can.

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
1 Corinthians 1:21‭-‬25 NIV

The same logic applies to guns.
Mask mandates aren't permanent. Shutdowns, mask mandates, etc. have come and gone, depending on the area. So, this kind of tired soapbox hyperbole about losing freedoms forever isn't especially convincing.

The anti-abortion argument is purely religious. The idea that personhood/the soul begin at conception is inherently religious. Also, COVID deaths can be prevented. The idea that COVID infections and the accompanying deaths can't be prevented is dangerous conspiracy theory nonsense. Masks work. Social distancing works. Hand washing and sanitizing work.

Not to sound offensive, but Bible verses aren't convincing in the absence of any evidence that the Bible is true. It would be like me quoting Harry Potter books when asked for evidence that Voldemort exists.

Could you explain how the same logic applies to guns? Because it sounds like you didn't understand the argument, if that's what you think. Please be specific. There are a lot of things you could be trying to say, but I'm not going argue against what I think you might be saying when you might not be actually saying it.

Last edited by Lacius,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 229736

View attachment 229737

Upon further inspection, the aggregate polling data show's Biden's lead has been far more robust than Clinton's was:

5dLA9sZS_o.png

P09eTw2Y_o.png

• July 30th 2016: Clinton was up +0.8 points.
  • July 30th 2020: Biden was up +8.3 points. (+7.5 points over Clinton)

• August 15th 2016: Clinton was up +8.6 points.
  • August 15th 2020: Biden was up +8.5 points. (-0.1 below Clinton)

• September 26th 2016: Clinton was up +1.5 points.
  • September 26th 2020: Biden was up +7.3 points. (+5.8 over Clinton)

• October 18th 2016: Clinton was up +7.0 points.
  • October 18th 2020: Biden is up +10.6 points. (+3.6 over Clinton)

• November 7th 2016 (Final polls): Clinton was up +3.6 points.
  • November 8th 2016 (Election): Clinton wins popular vote by +2.1 points.

Clinton's polling sagged down to the +1 to +3 points range every 1-2 months during the 2016 election. Every time Clinton's numbers went up, they'd fall right back down. Biden's numbers have shown no sag at all. The last time Biden's lead dropped below +6 was when it dropped down to +5.9 back on June 3rd. That was 4.5 months ago. The last time it dropped below +5 points was all the way back in April -- 6 months ago!

Last edited by LumInvader,

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i went on /pol/ last night to try to hunt down the supposed email dump and couldn't find it. what i did find however was a bunch of tards arguing about how California is flipping red for sure this year.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the freedom to go shopping unmasked without faceless sheep throwing things at you and yelling at the top of their lungs. If you're scared, you can stay home. If you're not scared, you shouldn't have to wear a mattress on your face.

How did I ever forget to add you to my Trumper block list? I'm on that just as soon as I finish this post.

I was tested for Covid on Friday and I am supposed to have results tomorrow. I won't go into the long story about how/when/why I MAY have gotten it, but the chances due to circumstances are far greater than not. I do have plenty of the symptoms and feel like shit. If you're not scared, care to come over and give me a big sloppy kiss or let me cough in your face? Yeah... that's what I thought. Buh-bye now.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: IncredulousP

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did I ever forget to add you to my Trumper block list? I'm on that just as soon as I finish this post.

I was tested for Covid on Friday and I am supposed to have results tomorrow. I won't go into the long story about how/when/why I MAY have gotten it, but the chances due to circumstances are far greater than not. I do have plenty of the symptoms and feel like shit. If you're not scared, care to come over and give me a big sloppy kiss or let me cough in your face? Yeah... that's what I thought. Buh-bye now.

spit in his mouth.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope he brings crimpshrine, gregory-samba, Hanafuda, mrjoshuaco, tabzer, and anyone else I forgot with him.

Some of you really are the bottom of the barrel type of people.

Fortunately it is VERY few in the grand scheme of things.

I still have to laugh while Lum is busy posting poll #'s remember even Bidens campaign manager Jen Dillon said yesterday:

upload_2020-10-18_17-10-20.png

Too bad they don't have you Lum on their team, then they would be doing better :rofl2:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wandered back in here after some time away for no particular reason.

Still seems all politicians aren't worth being pissed on should they catch fire. Whoever wins nothing particularly good or bad will likely happen (too much inertia and distributed power with many and varied interests) almost regardless of what you think good or bad is, especially if that definitional line is anything like a popular one (the 5 extremes in any given direction or axis probably think bad/not far enough and thus bad is the only outcome there).

I do like stats and systems though and these things provide some nice ones to ponder.

Oh well. Hopefully it will all be over soon without people having to remember to double tap.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of you really are the bottom of the barrel type of people.

Fortunately it is VERY few in the grand scheme of things.

I still have to laugh while Lum is busy posting poll #'s remember even Bidens campaign manager Jen Dillon said yesterday:

View attachment 229747

Too bad they don't have you Lum on their team, then they would be doing better :rofl2:
Regardless of how the election turns out, one has to admit the Biden campaign is doing extremely well right now.

Reactions: LumInvader

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 229747

A campaign manager's job is to encourage his or her base to vote -- to discourage the complacency that occurs with massive +10.6 point poll leads. Well done, Jen Dillon.

Reactions: Lacius

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Regardless of how the election turns out, one has to admit the Biden campaign is doing extremely well right now.
How would I measure such a thing?

Polls (and what ones at that*), merchandise sales (be it silly hats or signs to put in the front
garden), betting patterns, early votes, TV ratings, internet video ratings, online engagement (do we look at twitter followers?)?

*itself a massive thing where you contemplate voters on the day (if no young people vote and you collect data from young people does it skew vs only collecting from those that went out and voted in the last however many), shy voters, questions asked.

Some of those might seem silly but at the same time some of those are money where their mouth is aka revealed preference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: