Point of updating to latest Gateway release (Newb question)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aglae Pheryl, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Hi folks,

My kids are still using Gateway 3.7.1 on their O3DS consoles running Gateway and their N3ds console.
    I did the work for them long ago and beside putting the latest launcher files onto their SD cards I haven't done much.

I there there's been a few releases (4.1B being the latest). Do I have to update their O3DS and N3DS consoles with it? What will it bring my kids (quicker, safer, new features or supported games...)?

Any risk in upgrading (especially with their N3DS console)?

Could someone explain the update process in simple words for an old fart like me?

Thanks,

yossii likes this.
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You don't need to update, 3.7.1 allows you to update to the latest emuNAND. 4.0/4.1 have updates for Gateway's a9lh installation method (which nobody should ever use) and they also allow updating by sysupdater without bricking (but that isn't anything you need to worry about).

3. TheShadowRunner

TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    I beg to differ, on N3DS Launcher.dat 4.0 or 4.1B fixes the screen init bug, it's totally worth it even if you have no plans to use the other features.

Hayleia likes this.
  4. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks for both replies. The screen bug is indeed annoying so I may try to go on with the update. Any special care ? How do I go about it?
    Not sure I understood about the latest emuNAND. 4.0/4.1... I don't have my kids consoles with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure my kids are running a newer version of emunand on their O3DS (I'm not sure about the N3DS though)

5. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Keyblade Warrior

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Realm of Darkness
    can i use updated sysnand with gw a9lh?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

or do i have to use emunand?

6. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Maybe and no.

"Maybe" because, well, maybe it does support an updated sysNAND, there is no reason why it wouldn't (though they'll be annoying with that and nag you to use emuNAND instead).
    "No" because you must not update your sysNAND in GW mode. Do it while in Luma or whatever, but just not with GW mode or you'll remove a9lh.

7. TheShadowRunner

TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Nothing special, just overwrite Launcher.dat at the root of sdcard and use as usual.

8. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Realm of Darkness
    can i set up luma after a9lh with gw? i am going to turkey and i dont have enough time for plailect guide (wich takes 2-3h)

9. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Do you mean "GW's a9lh" ? Then no, with their a9lh you can only use their stuff.

10. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Realm of Darkness
    thats no good

i only use gw but i want updated sysnand

because my little brother plays sometimes with it and if he updates sysnand than i am screwed

11. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
  12. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Realm of Darkness
    i want more space on my sd

13. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    More space, 2GB? That can be filled twice with one game only. To get more space, your best option is to buy a bigger SD card.