Hacking Point of updating to latest Gateway release (Newb question)

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi folks,

My kids are still using Gateway 3.7.1 on their O3DS consoles running Gateway and their N3ds console.
I did the work for them long ago and beside putting the latest launcher files onto their SD cards I haven't done much.

I there there's been a few releases (4.1B being the latest). Do I have to update their O3DS and N3DS consoles with it? What will it bring my kids (quicker, safer, new features or supported games...)?

Any risk in upgrading (especially with their N3DS console)?

Could someone explain the update process in simple words for an old fart like me?

Thanks,

Reactions: yossii

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You don't need to update, 3.7.1 allows you to update to the latest emuNAND. 4.0/4.1 have updates for Gateway's a9lh installation method (which nobody should ever use) and they also allow updating by sysupdater without bricking (but that isn't anything you need to worry about).

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beg to differ, on N3DS Launcher.dat 4.0 or 4.1B fixes the screen init bug, it's totally worth it even if you have no plans to use the other features.

Reactions: Hayleia

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for both replies. The screen bug is indeed annoying so I may try to go on with the update. Any special care ? How do I go about it?
Not sure I understood about the latest emuNAND. 4.0/4.1... I don't have my kids consoles with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure my kids are running a newer version of emunand on their O3DS (I'm not sure about the N3DS though)

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
can i use updated sysnand with gw a9lh?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

or do i have to use emunand?

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
can i use updated sysnand with gw a9lh?

or do i have to use emunand?
Maybe and no.

"Maybe" because, well, maybe it does support an updated sysNAND, there is no reason why it wouldn't (though they'll be annoying with that and nag you to use emuNAND instead).
"No" because you must not update your sysNAND in GW mode. Do it while in Luma or whatever, but just not with GW mode or you'll remove a9lh.

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for both replies. The screen bug is indeed annoying so I may try to go on with the update. Any special care ? How do I go about it?
Not sure I understood about the latest emuNAND. 4.0/4.1... I don't have my kids consoles with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure my kids are running a newer version of emunand on their O3DS (I'm not sure about the N3DS though)
Nothing special, just overwrite Launcher.dat at the root of sdcard and use as usual.

Purple_Heart

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
can i set up luma after a9lh with gw? i am going to turkey and i dont have enough time for plailect guide (wich takes 2-3h)

Purple_Heart

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thats no good

i only use gw but i want updated sysnand

because my little brother plays sometimes with it and if he updates sysnand than i am screwed

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
More space, 2GB? That can be filled twice with one game only. To get more space, your best option is to buy a bigger SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."