Hacking Please DON'T sign up for the Nintendo DEV program! And I'll explain why.

Do you agree?

• Yeah, I agree with you

Votes: 50 44.6%
  • No way! Hacking for life!

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • I really don't care

Votes: 39 34.8%

• Total voters

Wellington2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: A developer (@apachehavok) who has released several games in the past has made a good point:
And until you shell out the cash for the Dev kit to get a proper build, your game is NEVER going to see the light of day. What does it take to get a DEV kit even if you have the cash? Everything you mentioned. That dev kit with its software is CLOSELY monitored by Nintendo. They give zero fucks about who is a "Nintendo game developer" according to their site. Once you actually get the devkit hardware, then and ONLY then are you a certified Nintendo Developer. Go ahead and sign up! Don't listen to OP.

SOURCE: Shipped 4 Nintendo game products.
I guess I've still got a lot to learn about console development, and I'm willing to admit that I was wrong. What he says makes a lot of sense, so I guess feel free to sign up. :)

If you still want to read my previous opinion, feel free to read it below:

Original Opinion:
So, Nintendo has their new developer program (technically not, though, they just allow indies in). This blog post is to convince you to NOT sign up for it unless you legitimately want to develop and release a game on the Nintendo eShop.

My Story
I am an independent game developer. I've been programming since I was 6, and I'm currently a junior in college working towards a degree for Game Development and Animation. My dream since I was young was to code a video game, and I've made quite a few small games for my personal enjoyment.

Today, I have enough programming knowledge to make a legitimate game, and I've been working on a rhythm game for Wii U for the last 6 months. Yes, I was a part of the original Wii U developer's program for independent developers.

In case you don't know what the original developer program was, it was made specifically for indie developers who wanted a chance to make a Wii U game. Unlike every one developer program which requires you to have already released a game, Nintendo was nice enough to allow anyone to join, if they had a good idea. It took 6 months before they accepted my application. I was overjoyed.

For the next 6 months, I worked on my game, and it's almost ready to be kickstarted. This game is full of blood, sweat, and tears. I'm proud of it, and none of this would be possible without Nintendo's desire to let anyone join, no matter their previous experiences in development.

Nintendo loves indies.

Now, Nintendo has done something incredible. They've given indies EVERYTHING that big name developers get. No more being stuck with Unity and Web Framework, and plus we can make games for 3DS now too.

The best part, though? No more waiting period. This is a huge blessing, seeing as it took me 6 months to be accepted. I managed to switch over my project from the old developer program to the new one in only 3 hours. I am overjoyed.

The Reason You Shouldn't Sign Up

Now, don't you think Nintendo will find it odd that all these people are signing up for the developer program and never releases a game? Don't you think they'll find it interesting that people are leaking the SDKs?

What do you think Nintendo will do to stop this? Let me give you some options:
1. Add an unneeded waiting period
2. Add background checks
3. Require more info
4. Require phone interviews
5. Require previous released games
6. Require an office (no home address)
7. Give independent developers less privileges

This won't just stop non-developers from getting accounts, but it will also stop REAL indie developers too.

Do you really think, that by signing up fake accounts, Nintendo will do nothing? Really?

Summary

Now, I know this is the Internet. I know that changing people's opinions is near impossible. But, I hope I can at least help you understand why you shouldn't make a developer account without plans to develop games for the eShop (or just to develop games in general). Doing this will only make it harder for real independent developers being able to release their first game. It hurts people like me, who just need a chance.

Please, at least consider my point of view.
If you have any questions, leave a comment below. I'll try to answer them in a respectable way.

Last edited by Wellington2k,

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everybody can make their account and get to the SDK instantly, like you said. When all the people who want to play with the SDK get it, there'll be much fewer fake accounts. Maybe Nintendo won't put those guidelines in place as only legit game devs would want it with just the occasional person who'll toy with it in the future.

Baphomet

Homebrew Justice Warrior™
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Now, don't you think Nintendo will find it odd that all these people are signing up for the developer program and never releases a game? .
I don't find it that odd to be honest. I actually can understand it. You have an idea for a game, that idea turns out to be bad or, it's not really worth the investment and you don't release a game. Some people like to tinker too, it might be somebodies intention to just mess around... that could lead to something worthwhile in the future, perhaps on other systems. Not all idle curiosity is bad.

I appreciate your sentiments, but, I really think the only people who shouldn't sign-up are idiots who just want to get their leak on.

Best of luck with the everything. I do love a good rhythm game.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must disagree. In my opinion, it would be counter intuitive for Nintendo to restrict access once again. I know Nintendo hasn't always been the most rational corporation, but assuming this move is to attract more indie devs, they need to keep the program as open as it currently is, if not more so. Closing the platform again would likely just drive away developers elsewhere. Seeing as how the Xbox One has its "dev mode" that anyone can use, and how Apple recently lifted their $99/yr iOS development fee, and the ever-open PC and Android platforms, they have some competition.

If anything, more people signing up is likely a good thing in that it expresses a clear interest to Nintendo that many people might actually want to make games for them. Hopefully, consumer NX units will have a similar "dev mode" that anyone can sign up to enable, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: YayIguess and DKB

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it is a big concern of theirs if people sign up and do nothing. What does Nintendo have to lose by having the SDK publically available? Nothing, since ideally the consoles don't allow piracy. In practicality this is not the case, but at this point having the SDK won't make it any easier to pirate anything. I also don't think they care about homebrew made outside of the SDK.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see your point of things.

By the way, I just checked, and it's not lifted.
You can develop things and run them on your own devices without paying Apple anymore, but publishing on the app store still costs $99/yr (previously you had to pay just to have the ability to even develop).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As cool as I think this idea is, it's definitely not for me not because of the SDK, but the fact I can't program or even use Unity; I know that's something that I admit, and I'm ashamed of it, but it wouldn't personally do me much good. I'm happy for those who want to use it though.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried to apply to the original Developer program you talked about since 2013. I sent a request at least once a month, just to see if their answer changed.

What was the answer all these years? "Sorry, but the Developer program isn't available for your region."

I'm really glad they did this. However, it's such a shame that it's near the end of the Wii U's era. Still better than nothing, I think. Hopefully, next console will be as open for developers of countries like mine as Wii U and 3DS just got.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though I've ranted a fair bit about people signing up I have to say I'm totally happy for how much easier it is for actual game developers to get a foot in the door and am glad it made things easier for you.

It just worries me how many joined up thinking they could use the SDK to make homebrew or just to leak it. I've even seen suggestions that emulator devs sign up to get the documentation to make the emulators better. It hurts my head that people can't see what a bad idea that is.

Reactions: Wellington2k

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's almost like they're making it open source, except its not. It's just closed with unlock doors.

As cool as I think this idea is, it's definitely not for me not because of the SDK, but the fact I can't program or even use Unity; I know that's something that I admit, and I'm ashamed of it, but it wouldn't personally do me much good. I'm happy for those who want to use it though.
There's nothing to be ashamed about not knowing how to code in a certain language. I currently only know about one language, and it's one of the easiest, HTML.
Though I've ranted a fair bit about people signing up I have to say I'm totally happy for how much easier it is for actual game developers to get a foot in the door and am glad it made things easier for you.

It just worries me how many joined up thinking they could use the SDK to make homebrew or just to leak it. I've even seen suggestions that emulator devs sign up to get the documentation to make the emulators better. It hurts my head that people can't see what a bad idea that is.
Just think of what Nintendo would do once they found out hackers used their SDK for things like that.

Last edited by 7Robins,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah so what if it's a honeypot if it leads to good wiiu homebrew than who cares. wiiu is dead anyway so ninty won't give a shit about it soon.

i want my wiiu n64 and psx emus NAO

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah so what if it's a honeypot if it leads to good wiiu homebrew than who cares. wiiu is dead anyway so ninty won't give a shit about it soon.

i want my wiiu n64 and psx emus NAO
And you're the part of the problem. The WiiU isn't "dead" and it won't be til 2018 or later. And Nintendo certainly does care. They'll most likely put up a last good final fight until they give in after the NX is out.

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I suppose there's not a portal like the developper one to ask Nintendo to translate for them right...? I'm not interested in developing but in translating RPGs from English to French...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1