Hacking Homebrew Project SwitchMobber - Explaining Better

DecoTheEpicGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since the project hasnt been having any progress at all (despite me finally being able to mod my Switch) i will make it open for people to develop it themselves.

Another reason on why i do not plan on making the project on my own is because i am deathly afraid of being sued by Nintendo, this project potentially breaks digital locks and that is illegal in some countries.

Since i am able to explain better on what the project aims to be, i will make a breakdown of what it is.

First of all, this is a project that isnt necessarily aiming to be a safe method on modding your Switch, it is technically permanent, but reversible, it will be similiar to how you flash Android/Linux to the Switch eMMC, SwitchMobber aims to be the same concept.

Installation

The SwitchMobber installer will be booted from a payload via RCM, and due to payload size limitations, all of the UI design will have to be on the microSD card (like Hekate)

You will have to accept various warnings that this tool flashes a custom eMMC, but if you so insist, it will begin installing.

Then, SwitchMobber will flash an eMMC file containing a Payload Launcher (that boots into "payload.bin" on the root of the microSD card)

The result is something that in my opinion acts like a hardmod/modchip, but reversible.

Backing up the original eMMC

The SwitchMobber installer, once again will boot via RCM, and you choose a second option named;
"Backup your NAND backup/eMMC file"

You choose your NAND backup that youve made before, then you also accept various warnings, then the result will be a NAND file on a folder named "nandbackup"

Restoring the original eMMC

The SwitchMobber installer, once again will boot via RCM, and you choose a second option named;
"Restore a NAND backup/eMMC file"

You choose your NAND backup that youve made before, then you also accept various warnings, then the result will be a fully stock Switch.

Is this tool even good?

It depends, let me know your opinion in the comments!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess you're intending that once you've flashed this payload launcher to emmc, you'll be able to start it by just turning on your Switch, like with a glitch modchip. You won't. The modified emmc won't pass the standard checks and won't boot, so the Switch would move onto the secondary copy and boot the unmodified code. The only way to boot the modified emmc would be by running a hack beforehand, such as the RCM vulnerability. In which case you can boot whatever payload you want anyway, including forwarding to payload.bin on the SD card, so why modify the emmc at all?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since the project hasnt been having any progress at all (despite me finally being able to mod my Switch) i will make it open for people to develop it themselves.
Oh thank you, you are so kind.

Another reason on why i do not plan on making the project on my own is because i am deathly afraid of being sued by Nintendo, this project potentially breaks digital locks and that is illegal in some countries.
😂 and not because you have no idea how to achieve this and your knowledge about RCM vulnerability underhood is equal to 0?

it will be similiar to how you flash Android/Linux to the Switch eMMC
It won't.

The SwitchMobber installer
You even have a name for this already even though your real input is non existent.

Then, SwitchMobber will flash an eMMC file containing a Payload Launcher (that boots into "payload.bin" on the root of the microSD card)
To achieve this you forget about one, tiny small detail - it requires flashing bootrom... stored in Read Only Memory. Bootrom has validation checks implemented, if loaded files fail that check bootrom goes into RCM and waits... for payload send via USB.

I am ignoring here modchip users as their method is slightly different, but in their current form it's still required to run payload not from encrypted medium like Switch's eMMC.

Is this tool even good?
It's not, because it's not possible to make it your way today.

Similar vibe, also 15-year old

RDT_20240317_0950422932932789115387712.png

Last edited by masagrator,

DecoTheEpicGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To achieve this you forget about one, tiny small detail - it requires flashing bootrom... stored in Read Only Memory. Bootrom has validation checks implemented, if loaded files fail that check bootrom goes into RCM and waits... for payload send via USB.

I.. didnt know that.. information regarding RCM is barely accessible and i wasnt even aware of that.

😂 and not because you have no idea how to achieve this and your knowledge about RCM vulnerability underhood is equal to 0?

THAT is exactly why this is a post opening the idea up for more experienced people.

Oh thank you, you are so kind.

??

also 15-year old

What?! why is it even worth mentioning my age? you cant just determine peoples skills by their ages.
Post automatically merged:

So there's no progress, no development and just an idea?

Concept art has been made, but you will have to look in previous ports regarding the project.

Although it doesnt really count as something useful.. + its outdated

And all of this functionality this is what hekate already does..

Mostly, it just warns you to backup your eMMC/NAND before installing, its useful for beginners.

The only way to boot the modified emmc would be by running a hack beforehand, such as the RCM vulnerability. In which case you can boot whatever payload you want anyway, including forwarding to payload.bin on the SD card, so why modify the emmc at all?

Huh, you are correct.

I assume Linux and Android has the same thing too.

That isnt me.

Last edited by DecoTheEpicGuy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto