PlayStation Vita production officially ends in Japan

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Voxel, Mar 1, 2019.

1. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    they were still making this failure? even the wii u seemed successful in comparison

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Wonder how history will ultimately view this one. I reckon it could either go a Saturn (flop at the time with some bonehead decisions but several highly sought after games) or go a N64 (horribly aged failure with a few notable efforts).

Assuming firmware updates stop with this (barring any fun and games with the EU or something in years to come like saw that 360 update a while back) do we have relatively achievable hacks for any commercially sold Vita out there?

3. WaluigiMan

WaluigiMan GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2018
    Germany
    at ur moms place
    yay

4. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    I'm surprised the vita has finally stopped production...... not.

It's a shame because the system had great potential, but if Sony couldn't be bothered to back it then no wonder third parties didn't.

I liked that Sony pushed portable console hardware to something Nintendo never would, it had great promise for console quality portable games.

Now I cant see Sony doing another portable console for a while, theirs no sense with the switch on the market and chances are it gets littered with its indy shit.

Or if Sony are able to allow remote play of titles you own on disc, streamed to your handheld device and play on the go.

5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    The 3DS/2DS is still going... for now.

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    They were still producing it??

7. sblast3

sblast3 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    You may be surprised by this, but the Vita had a fairly successful run in Japan, outselling the N64 and Gamecube.
    http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Hardware/JP/

7 years is a good life cycle for a handheld console, especially when you consider that the iPhone 4S came out a few months before the Vita. With the rise of the Switch and Sony USA screwing over Japanese developers, it's also a good time for it to retire.

PokeNas likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    No surprise at all, actually. The Vita has always been a huge hit in Japan due to the on-the-go nature of that country.

9. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Anti Switch Owners

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    AS I said, no good portable consoles are being made any more.

PokeNas likes this.
  10. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    RIP. Amazing little thing.

PS: Does anyone know the RRP and a good game store in Tokyo where I might pick one up for a decent price?

PokeNas likes this.
  11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    The Vita is really unpopular in Japan, you are better buying it online. Unless your Japanese kanji reading and writing is really good, in that case you should be asking in a Japanese gaming forum.

12. Coto

Coto -

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    1) I think the Vita should´ve had used a better GPU since that´d have hidden the system slower CPU. (like switch does), so the aging hardware would somewhat stand out

2) any smartphone from 2013+ has similar hardware.

3) and Sony should've supported something like registering your UMDs online for a small fee so these could've acquired through PSN. Ninty knew very well backwards compatibility was a great deal (and they did it for years) as a backup plan if the selling points of a given console would flop.

13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    "It was not by my hand that I could not buy your games. I was denied the ability to play the games I downloaded, by the proprietary cards that no one should've had to buy in 2011/2012 when microSD cards were on the horizon!"

Bimmel likes this.
  14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Unless they figure a way to make it compatible, Gamefreak is gonna get a lot of heat from people who use the paid Pokebank service that are unable to transfer Pokemon to Sword and Shield.

15. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Eh, it's winding down at this point, the only game that I can think of that's a new release is the US localization of Persona Q2. I'd rather have a port of Persona 5 (preferably the new enhanced version) to the Switch. Nintendo better not perform self sabotage and make a successor to the DS product line though if that quote from Furukawa was anything to go by a year ago!

16. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Well, if by new games you mean no ports, we did had Wario Ware Gold last year.

Then there is the pointless remake of Bowser Inside Story, that yes is a remake we are getting this year.

Nintendo will keep the 2DS/3DS going until Pokemon Sword and Shield is released, then maybe a year more so people has time to transfer their Pokemon from the Pokebank.

So yeah, the 2DS/3DS either dies at the end of this year or on the next year.

Considering the rampant piracy, is a miracle they haven't killed the console already.

17. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    There are public exploits to versions up to 3.68, and two unreleased exploits for versions 3.69 and 3.70, a downgrade tool which allows you to go back to the golden standard 3.60 firmware, a FreeShop-like utility, plugins to allow newer games to run in any version, a full PSP virtual machine, a thriving homebrew community, etc.

And unlike the 3DS scene, it hasn't died out. It is pretty much full blown unlocked, even hardware encryption has been cracked.

18. nathone

nathone Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Wouldn't be surprised if Sony continue putting out stability updates even though the hardware is EOL...

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Too bad the proprietary memory cards suck and are overpriced.

20. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    SD2Vita is a thing, dude. If you have a 1000, you just have to get the cheapest memory card and then you can go SD2Vita, on the 2000, the internal storage is enough to set it up.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted