PlayStation Vita production officially ends in Japan

PCH-2000-Slim-New-Colours-September-2015.jpg

As reported on last year, Sony officially announced plans to fully discontinue shipments of the PlayStation Vita in Japan this year, a statement which came a couple of months after they had announced the discontinuation of game cartridge production for the system. Now, as of March 1st 2019, the official pages for the remaining 2 models which were being produced, the PCH-2000 ZA11 (black) and PCH-2000 ZA23 (aqua blue), have been appended with the statement "shipment ended", now meaning that no further systems are being manufactured at all.
The Vita was launched in December 2011, enduring a fluctuating amount of praise and support until it was gradually abandoned by Sony and major AAA title developers in just a mere few years. Fortunately, the flourishing amount of third-party support in which the Vita had gained over the years just showed how spectacular the system could still be in the current generation.

:arrow: Source: PlayStation Japan - Vita Product Line-up

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is completely Sony's fault. They really only needed to do two things, better marketing and switch to microSD cards. They really didn't need to do that much to make this product a success, but Sony just fell on their ass and sat there.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Still somewhat surprising that production lasted until today.

Agreed. The library of official games is so poor no Vita emulation exists. Probably because like 95% of Vita games exist for other systems.

Still, hacking a Vita still sounds cool.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Who's the genius at Sony who suggested the sales of proprietary memory card would give them a better profit than the lifetime if vita sales?

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Poor TheFlow is gonna get a lot more requests for a hack now for 3.70 as he said when it's end of life...

If i was him i'd wait a bit longer and see if any more updates happen.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Uh? Retroarch?
He meant there's no Vita emulator out there, although work is being done on one.. but he's kind of right, Vita has few exclusive games of note (although a quick wiki gives 87 results..)
Great little machine anyway! Was never gonna take on Nintendo, and the decision not to use sd cards certainly didn't help, but I love a bit of Spelunky etc on the go with it! I will admit my Switch is slowly killing off my gametime on it though...

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I A M S A D because i wanted one because if you can have Xash3D on a handheld device, you can do friggin everything. Also, Minecraft: PS Vita edition isn't a cut-down version of Pocket Edition adapted for the 3DS with the 3DS edition! Granted, it's still left in the Legacy Console Editions, but hey. The PS Vita seems like a really good console to pick up, hack with Enso or something like that, and play some well-done HB emulators and games. I also desire a New Nintendo 3DS (see how I didn't put in XL there?) because those cool-looking, are still "New" systems, and is compact enough for my cool Nintendo DS Lite case, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT Nintendo crushed my dream before I conceived it by discontinuing it for no clear reason other than the New 3DS XL. >:c

sblast3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita has more homebrew potential than any other console I've ever seen, and that's by a long shot. It supports older versions of GameMaker and Unity, so anyone can make a game for it with ease without having a PhD in Computer Science. In addition, the CFW on it is extremely simple and straightforward, unlike the current situation with the Nintendo Switch. The Vita TV is the icing on the cake, making it double as a home homebrew console, with PS3 and PS4 controller support. Also, if you unlink your PSN, you can use the same 256GB SD2Vita card on all your Vitas, if they're on the same FW. Finally, you also have access to the enormous library of PSP homebrew.

Only cons with the vita:
- Limited RAM/CPU power
- Questionable legality of GameMaker and Unity exporting

Reactions: Gamer90Kirby

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita has more homebrew potential than any other console I've ever seen, and that's by a long shot. It supports older versions of GameMaker and Unity, so anyone can make a game for it with ease without having a PhD in Computer Science. In addition, the CFW on it is extremely simple and straightforward, unlike the current situation with the Nintendo Switch. The Vita TV is the icing on the cake, making it double as a home homebrew console, with PS3 and PS4 controller support. Also, if you unlink your PSN, you can use the same 256GB SD2Vita card on all your Vitas, if they're on the same FW. Finally, you also have access to the enormous library of PSP homebrew.

Only cons with the vita:
- Limited RAM/CPU power
- Questionable legality of GameMaker and Unity exporting
imagine if an expansion thing came that upgraded the Vita! Probs never gonna happen, and the Wii U's CPU's clock is 1.6 GHz compared to the Switch's 1.0 GHz, but just imagine.

sblast3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imagine if an expansion thing came that upgraded the Vita! Probs never gonna happen, and the Wii U's CPU's clock is 1.6 GHz compared to the Switch's 1.0 GHz, but just imagine.
The power is not really an issue, it just means that more powerful homebrews will only be available on the Switch.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I hope they get another handheld going, the Vita is still a great buy even if part of its library has been ported to other consoles, and IMO, it tried to do what the Switch is doing right now, bring the console experience on the go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)