PlayStation is discontinuing credit card payments for PSN Store purchases on PS3 and Vita

sadasdasd.png

While preservationists lucked out when PlayStation decided to not shut down the digital storefronts for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, it seems like Sony is still keen on reminding players that these two systems are definitely on their way out, eventually. Starting on October 27th, credit and debit card payments as well as PayPal will no longer be accepted as valid options on either the PS3 or Vita. You'll still be able to make purchases, but it'll require you to specifically buy PlayStation Store gift cards to add to your account balance, through the web PSN Store or on PS4 or PS5, after which you can then use to buy games.

From 27th October, 2021, you will no longer be able to use a credit or debit card or a payment method such as PayPal to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3™ console or PS Vita system.

To buy digital content for your PS3 console or PS Vita system, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet on PlayStation Store. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card, or using a credit or debit card, PayPal, or other available payment method via a desktop computer, mobile device, PS4 console or PS5 console.

How will this affect games with an in-game store? Can I purchase DLC in an in-game store?
You will still be able to purchase content (including DLC) via in-game stores, but you will need to use wallet funds to pay for the content on PlayStation Store. You will not be able to use a credit or debit card or other payment method such as PayPal to complete the purchase.

Can I still use PlayStation Store gift cards on my PS3 console or PS Vita system?
Yes, PlayStation Store gift cards can be used on both PS3 consoles and PS Vita systems. Product vouchers and subscription vouchers can also be used.

:arrow: Source

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is basically them saying...

Sony: Okay, listen. We've listened to you and promised not to close the PS3 and Vita stores down... yet. We actually don't want you to keep using those consoles, though, so the sooner you can have PS4s and PS5s, the better!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope all games and game updates get backup to certain archive. A shame for online play but whatever.

you can make your own archive of ps3 game updates with this updates text file. use this command to wget in command prompt:

pacman -S base-devel gcc vim cmake

then, use this command to get all updates in a single folder. it will skip over any updates you already have in case it's added to:

wget -nd -nc -i updates_v6.txt

thanks go to jcorrea for making this list on psx place.

Attachments

• updates_v6.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 225

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
TBF as someone living in North America this isn't that big a deal for me. But hey, if Sony wants to make it more difficult for me to give them money, who am I to argue?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony sucks when it comes to credit card. Can't imagine any other company that would make it harder for you to pay them money. Amazon would gladly take the card and get a cut. They should have made customer load up their Sony wallet with credit card and only allow Sony wallet to buy game. That way they can make sure you always have some money in the wallet and come back to buy more games so as not to waste the remaining value in the wallet.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sony sucks when it comes to credit card. Can't imagine any other company that would make it harder for you to pay them money. Amazon would gladly take the card and get a cut. They should have made customer load up their Sony wallet with credit card and only allow Sony wallet to buy game. That way they can make sure you always have some money in the wallet and come back to buy more games so as not to waste the remaining value in the wallet.

This is just one of the steps taken before they shut everything down. Next PS3 and Vita won't take any new money at all and then they will give you like a month or less to expend it all.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope all games and game updates get backup to certain archive. A shame for online play but whatever.

btw, here's that in action (posted on psx-place). the second photo is what happens when it encounters a pkg already in the folder, skipping it. don't use -x, use -nd instead, because -x will put each download in a separate folder:

upload_2021-10-2_12-11-7.png

upload_2021-10-2_17-26-44.png

Reactions: NeoGranzon

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, you can do the same with jdownloader if it's easier for you. just disable this option:

1633627351221.png

the one that's not checked is the one you want to uncheck. otherwise, all packages will go in separate folders. jdownloader errors on the .hip files, but they're not really necessary. wget doesn't error on any of the links.

Reactions: NeoGranzon

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use gift cards exclusively as a way to prevent myself from making impulse purchases, and because of the multiple breaches they had in the early days of PSN, however I changed to credit card during the pandemic.

It’s also annoying to do gift cards because the cards are in even amounts, and the games are usually at an even price point, but state sales tax (which isn’t revealed until after you enter your payment method, which won’t even be possible now without a live gift card!) has made it a little more difficult.

In any case, as much as I like digital, they don’t have sales anymore and everything is at top MSRP, so it kind of makes more sense to buy physical from the dwindling section of the local game store…

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto