Persona 4 Golden is now available on Steam

header.jpg

Persona 4 Golden is out now. You can buy it on Steam for $19.99. It hasn't been unveiled during the PC Gaming Show, but it went live early anyway.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI, Persona 5 is playable on PC as well using PS3 emulation (RPCS3)

4k resolution
16x anisotropic filtering
30fps or 60fps (60 breaks the game in a few instances)
uprezed 2D art assets
removed blur
and removed day/weather hud element (if you want, so it is not on screen all the time)

Full speed on a 3700X with a 1660Ti under Vulkan. (That configuration is probably overkill, but I had to change the automatic underclocking of my 3700X to a 50 Watt power target to keep the system silent - (basically it stresses the cpu quite a bit)).

To set it up, watch this video:

I found that enabling the blur removal hack is beneficial, same with the remove date and weather from top left UI hack (hash (#) comment out all other hud disablers in that cheat option to leave all other hud elements on). Renderer Vulkan, Anti aliasing disabled (if you run it in 4K internal resolution AA just made it blurrier (fonts especially)).

edit: The mod used in the video works on both the NTSC and the PAL version of the game. (On both english is the only western text language option though. :) )

P4G can run on a craptop but p5 requires a minimum $600 pc though.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
P4G can run on a craptop but p5 requires a minimum $600 pc though.
True. :)

Bought P4G today myself its a great game in its own right. :) I just wanted to indicate, that its possible.
-

Also, if anyone is interested, Moonlight game streaming P4G from a PC to a smartphone using a controller like this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-e...t-official-release.565779/page-6#post-9070487
- is possible.

In Moonlight ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en ) settings I deactivated 'automatic gamepad recognition' and Xbox360/one gamepad driver. The controller works in app, when the steam big picture overlay launches, for some strange reason it cant be navigated with the controller, but via touch inputs. And as soon as P4G launches, the controller (through Moonlight) works again. :)

Use force h265 and 90Hz options in Moonlight to reduce latency. Also use the stretch image to the entire sceen option imho. (P4G can be stretched horizontally a little without immediately looking too off. That is if you own one of those ultrawide smartphones, if your screen is 16:9, the game already outputs in 16:9).

Also tried Rainway gamestreaming - on my Android device it doesnt support h265, which means higher latency, which means bye, bye Rainway. ;) Rainway has the option to also set a crop of the image to max width (keeping the aspect ratio, loosing a bit of the top and bottom of the image.. ;) ), Moonlight has not.

(Nvidia Geforce Now has solved the phone aspect ratio issue best btw, it allows you freeform pinch/zooming and cropping. But Persona 4 Gold isnt part of Nvidia Geforce Now. Yet. ;))

Last edited by notimp,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Hmm, not something I've noticed at all. Maybe it's only certain cutscenes?
I'm not sure. I haven't played enough of the game to know. Its noticable in the intro song. For me its only a split second so it isn't too huge. But that might be because I have an NVME drive? The reviewer had it worse.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Xzi
At 2:40 The reviewer had stutters.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. I haven't played enough of the game to know. Its noticable in the intro song. For me its only a split second so it isn't too huge. But that might be because I have an NVME drive? The reviewer had it worse.

@Xzi
At 2:40 The reviewer had stutters.

That's gotta be the difference, I have it installed on an HDD instead of an SSD. I definitely do not have that same stutter in the intro video.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
For anyone interested, apparently it is possible to transfer your save from a modded or even unmodded Vita to the Steam version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/h8j7ji/psa_you_can_transfer_persona_4_golden_vita_saves/

The thread links back to GBAtemp for instructions on transferring saves from an unmodded Vita, lol.
Can confirm that this works, but there are some caveats:

It doesn't notice NG+ files, or notate them on the save screen
This also means you can't fuse Izanagi no Okami, as the game knows you're not on a NG+
It will definitely crash unreliably, bringing up Japanese error messages when you do certain things (try to do the accomplice ending, try to load a "clear save file", etc.)
For some reason, importing more than one Vita save caused load times to skyrocket for no apparent reason
It also crashed getting achievements out of order a few times, i.e. triggering all the compendium achievements in one go

Restarting the game a few times let me eventually get past that, though. Performance overall outside of trying to macgyver my save file
has been fantastic on two different setups, and it also works super well streamed via SkyNX to my Switch.

Reactions: Xzi

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Who knows. Atlus are the kings of irrational decision-making. Maybe we'll get a Switch port in ten years and a PS4 port in twelve.
Irrational decisions like launching a remaster of a remake with Denuvo? :P

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Irrational decisions like launching a remaster of a remake with Denuvo? :P
I can kind of understand the decision to include Denuvo, assuming Atlus is using P4G as a test balloon to decide whether or not to port other games. You can't accurately gauge interest with piracy being a valid option from day one. Also it's priced very reasonably ($17 on GMG and other sites), and they clearly did put a fair amount of work into the port, so even the stingiest of penny-pinchers doesn't have much of an excuse with this one.

Thankfully the game is doing incredibly well, and it's actually become the most concurrently-played JRPG of all time on Steam in just 24 hours after release (previous record-holder was FFXV). If there was even one person inside Atlus considering bringing other games to PC before this, the whole company should be convinced now.

odd crashes, weird saves, and lagging cutscenes?
Keep in mind Chary was talking about the results of transferring a Vita save, which obviously isn't officially supported. I've had none of these issues with starting a new game from the beginning.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Digital downloads are worthless.
Only if you see no inherent value whatsoever in the game itself, which would be ridiculous in this case because P4G is amazing.

Besides, any physical game you plan to keep for the long run is also worthless from that point of view. If you're treating gaming like the stock market, you went terribly astray somewhere along the line. There's value in the experiences themselves, and there's also value in keeping a collection, whether it be physical, digital, or both.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Sometimes buying digital games is better than ordering and waiting for it to arrive. Specially Japanese games.

Physical games are not worth it like before their is no manuals and the blu ray game must be written to the ssd/hdd in order to play it anyway because blu ray is slow to read.

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
anime is disgusting; i'm not trolling.

If you would care to look up the definition of trolling you would see that you are.

Also i want to clarify that just stating "Anime is disgusting" makes you sound like a prick with no brain. There are so many styles and genres of Anime and Anime related Games that its not really possible to hate it all because then you would hate everything. For every Genre and style there is a Anime Pendant for it. Also if you dont like it at all, then why even care to write in a related Thread?

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Apparently it has English and Japanese audio. One less reason to own a Vita.
As if vita is used only to play stupid persona....

anime is disgusting; i'm not trolling.
If you would care to look up the definition of trolling you would see that you are.
Did you look at the definition "butthurt"? :D

No seriously, it's not trolling if someone has a opinion lol.
That word is so missuses these days.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dont know. Because NVME are suppose to be much faster at loading.
Sorry I didn't notice this reply earlier. There isn't really much of any loading involved with pre-rendered videos, so I'm thinking it was just a lack of QA testing on different hardware configurations that caused this issue. In other words, the game is expecting data to stream at a slower rate more consistent with Vita hardware, and the overflow causes video to lag/stutter. At least, that's my best guess.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
As if vita is used only to play stupid persona....

Did you look at the definition "butthurt"? :D

No seriously, it's not trolling if someone has a opinion lol.
That word is so missuses these days.
I feel a little conflicted replaying this game. You have to romance a bunch of teenagers pick who you want to date, watch cutscenes of teenagers flap their breasts and stuff. Seeing adults in game talk about hot teenagers. And the beaty pageant part from a game made and written by adults. Its going into pedo territory. Makes it uncomfortable when those scenes happens. I dont know if I should feel bad playing this game or not. And if I do feel bad its because of reasons I or someone else creates for me. Its a fake game and not real people but still. I'm in a conflicting process on how should I feel playing this and similar themed games.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a Wii U that's modded there is kinda no real reason to own a switch the only game I can think of that the Wii U doesn't have is Mario Odyssey almost everything else is ported over.
Fire Emblem Three Houses. Animal Crossing. Pokemon. Dragon Quest XI. Smash Ultimate. Luigi's Mansion. Skyrim. Witcher III. DOOM. Octopath Traveler. Splatoon 2. Dead Cells. Tetris 99. Cuphead. Clubhouse Games 51. Dragon Ball FighterZ. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.

I must've missed those Wii U releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-