Hacking Perfect Dark WAD!

AK47A

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
How to launch Perfect Dark as a .wad VC game?

Yeah, your dream is now a reality.

Perfect Dark (and all others games that don't work) doesn't work because of its crappy boot CIC that is not emulated by currents VC emulators.

You have to change this boot CIC to make this game working.

1) Go here to have a list of games Boot CIC.
2) Search for Yoshi's Story (It's an example. You can use any rom that is emulated as a VC game)
QUOTE said:
Yoshi's Story CIC-NUS-6106 EEPROM (16 Kbits)
So, you need a rom with the same region, the same save format (16Kb EEPROM) and the same boot CIC (6106).
3) Perfect Dark has a 16Kb EEPROM save format (good) but a 6105 boot CIC (not good). We have to change it.

4) You need:
-Yoshi Story WAD
-Yoshi Story rom (.z64)
-Perfect Dark rom (.z64)
-Autoinjectuwad (for injecting rom into WAD)
-This tool for extract the boot CIC
-This tool for change the boot CIC

-Place all these things in the same directory.
-Use "rn64crcv21" to extract the CIC 6106 from YOshi'Story (rn64crc.exe -e Yoshi.z64)
-You'll have a new CIC6106.bin file
-Use "rn64crcv21" to import this CIC 6106 into Perfect Dark. (n64cicc.exe -FPerfectDark.z64 -C6106)
-Inject the new perfect Dark into Yoshi'story.wad using autoinjectuwad and enjoy !

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually asking others, we've had new members post illegal or damaging files saying that they are something else.

G!N

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I will try it
wink.gif
I have Starfall and the Twighlight Hack on my wii, so i can delete the wad if i will get a wad brick.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
AK47A said:
QUOTE said:
Mmm are those files "legit"?

Not sure :/

lol, then why making a post to say "it works"

CIC header is not the only thing preventing RARE games to work under emulators

this has already been discussed many times here or elsewhere, ROM patching is NOT enough because RARE games make use of a custom RSP microcode : the RSP is the chip handling graphic & sound in N64, it's completely reprogrammable by game programmers using microcodes that are linked in the ROM and injected into RSP when necessary, nintendo provided its basic microcodes to devs, Rare developped its own)

current VC emulators does not emulate the RSP completely, at least, they only support nintendo common microcodes

ROM patching is still feasible to make use of the default microcode but will result in graphic/sound weirdness

hope that help

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
anyway, the reasoning is false

according to the link he posted, "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" also use the same Boot CIC as Perfect Dark

just inject Perfect Dark in the Zelda's VC and see if it works

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Use "rn64crcv21" to import this CIC 6106 into Perfect Dark. (n64cicc.exe -FPerfectDark.z64 -C6106)

^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a wrong command, you'll get an error. It's a simple fix though, use this

-Use "rn64crcv21" to import this CIC 6106 into Perfect Dark. (n64cicc.exe -FPerfectDark.z64 -CIC6106)

And it will work.. Now onto injecting, autoinjectuwad has never been my friend, I've rarely gotten it to work.. But I'm trying now, I'll let you guys know what's up.

Edit: I'm kinda sure it's not going to work, cause I dont think the CIC6106 command I just gave even looks for CIC6106.bin, but who knows.

Edit2: Error, Rom file too large to inject to selected entry, or whatever.. Dunno if that's just me messing up with injectuwad or I don't have the current one or whatever, but I thought that was a rule, they had to be the same size..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure why, every other N64 game just runs fine with all kinds of enhancements but noooo KI... +1