Hacking Pasta CFW - A CFW that allows unsigned CIA to be installed on Old and New 3DS! (required ninjhax)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyfairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather see people collectively develop a better solution than to take a bunch of crappy ones (without permission in some cases) and throw them together. Clean code is better in the long run.

that's what I was just going to post before I've seen your post. why not concentrate on writing clean, documented and clean code and contribute it to an existing solution?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
that's what I was just going to post before I've seen your post. why not concentrate on writing clean, documented and clean code and contribute it to an existing solution?
That'd be fantastic, but prior to Pasta there WERE no open source solutions that accomplished the same thing. I'm sure SALT's codebase is pure artwork with comments out the ass, but since they want to keep that between the several of them there's little opportunity for outside contribution.
EDIT: excluding bootstrap and by extension brahma, of course, but those are used pretty much as is, so you can't blame the Pasta devs for whatever state those parts are in. :P

Last edited by Vappy,

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well, at the last news we have access to ARM9 code loading thanks to him (and brahma)...
I was referring to karl, salt or whatever the name will change. I know about brahma and all the stuffs, but i find ridiculous to come to every cfw threads and blaming for the shitty code here, only 8 bit there and so.

hairyfairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'd be fantastic, but prior to Pasta there WERE no open source solutions that accomplished the same thing. I'm sure SALT's codebase is pure artwork with comments out the ass, but since they want to keep that between the several of them there's little opportunity for outside contribution.
EDIT: excluding bootstrap and by extension brahma, of course, but those are used pretty much as is, so you can't blame the Pasta devs for whatever state those parts are in. :P

damn i was so sure this was the "cake" thread when i posted it, sorry.

edit: From my little experience, the pasta code looks ok, maybe requires some cleanup. with bootstrap, brahma, region free tools all being open source, why is everybody trying to bake his own cake instead of using a single codebase. isn't this what github can be used for?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
with bootstrap, brahma, region free tools all being open source, why is everybody trying to bake his own cake instead of using a single codebase. isn't this what github can be used for?
No doubt a cleaner, better solution will be developed in the long run, but basically every solution so far having been released/leaked as closed binaries, people are just kind of making do with what they have. The patches and features of Cake can probably be rewritten and integrated to Pasta at some point, but getting the code written in the first place in a form that's human readable and managable to save anyone else the effort of reversing is still a fairly important step imo.
The initial release of the patched rxTools may have been over the line, but no changing what's already done. And roxas appears to have given up public support for it, so if it wasn't fair game for RE before, it certainly is now.
And lest we forget that the sdmc code used by a lot of homebrew projects was for a long time reversed/stolen work, but everyone was quite happy to turn a blind eye to that fact because it just worked.

hairyfairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And lest we forget that the sdmc code used by a lot of homebrew projects was for a long time reversed/stolen work, but everyone was quite happy to turn a blind eye to that fact because it just worked.

who is the copyright holder of the sdmc code? nintendo? it's been reversed by normmatt, right?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
who is the copyright holder of the sdmc code? nintendo? it's been reversed by normmatt, right?
I believe it's at least partly Nintendo, yes. It's been replaced by sdmmc.c now, but it took a good long while for a legal replacement to come along.

hairyfairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it's at least partly Nintendo, yes. It's been replaced by sdmmc.c now, but it took a good long while for a legal replacement to come along.

same should be done to pasta. cleaning up code should have a higher priority over adding new features. otherwise, the code will turn out to be huge, unmaintainable mess in no time.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Don't worry, it will come today as well as the New UI.
We are finishing some settings for the new UI, then we will release everything.
(Note : Firmlaunch is tested and working.)
I'm so hyped for this update! It looks awesome. :yay:

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't worry, it will come today as well as the New UI.
We are finishing some settings for the new UI, then we will release everything.
(Note : Firmlaunch is tested and working.)
waiting eagerly...-_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land