p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No gyro shooters? We already have IR based shooters

- Multiple Call of Duty Games on Wii and Wii U
- The Red Steel series
- The Conduit Series
- Residnt Evil Chronicles games
- Dead Space Extraction
- GoldenEye
- HOTD Overkill

All of these were good, mature games and they all had IR pointing. On the Switch the IR is in the wrong place so developers will have to switch to using gyro aiming. Motion aiming is way better than dual analog and IMO a lot more godly than using a standard mouse. Its the sole reason why I have no problems playing PC shooters with a wireless 360 controller in my left hand and a gyro mouse in my right.

You might not enjoy motion gaming and that's fine but for many more of us, the more options we have, the better. The one thing that I really hope they push with Switch that they didn't with Wii and Wii U is the fact that these recent home consoles have been the switch army knives of gaming. "Don't wanna use the GamePad for Smash? Fine! Here's a Wii Remote, or a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, or the Wii Classic Controller and its pro variant. Don't like those? How about a Wii U Pro Controller or a Wii Classic Controller shaped like a GameCube Controller or better yet, a fucking GameCube controller?! Enjoy!" Seriously! This was the best part of being Wii/Wii U gamers. People that came over to your house to game had no excuse when it came to controller type and basically, the same goes for developers.

Last edited by LightyKD,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

- The Red Steel series
- The Conduit Series
- Dead Space Extraction
- GoldenEye
- HOTD Overkill

All of these were good, mature games and they all had IR pointing. On the Switch the IR is in the wrong place so developers will have to switch to using gyro aiming. Motion aiming is way better than dual analog and IMO a lot more godly than using a standard mouse. Its the sole reason why I have no problems playing PC shooters with a wireless 360 controller in my left hand and a gyro mouse in my right.

You might not enjoy motion gaming and that's fine but for many more of us, the more options we have, the better. The one thing that I really hope they push with Switch that they didn't with Wii and Wii U is the fact that these recent home consoles have been the switch army knives of gaming. "Don't wanna use the GamePad for Smash? Fine! Here's a Wii Remote, or a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, or the Wii Classic Controller and its pro variant. Don't like those? How about a Wii U Pro Controller or a Wii Classic Controller shaped like a GameCube Controller or better yet, a fucking GameCube controller?! Enjoy!" Seriously! This was the best part of being Wii/Wii U gamers. People that came over to your house to game had no excuse when it came to controller type and basically, the same goes for developers.
I never said that there are no shooters using the control scheme, I said it's a poor alternative. It works well with rail shooters designed for lightguns, like most of the games you mentioned, but in most games it's awkward at best. As for "gyro aiming", those games use IR aiming, bar some sections in Red Steel AFAIK. The one game that does use gyro aiming that I can think of is Zombi U when using the Gamepad and that feature was awful - I immediately switched to the stick.

Last edited by Foxi4,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said that there are no shooters using the control scheme, I said it's a poor alternative. It works well with rail shooters designed for lightguns, like most of the games you mentioned, but in most games it's awkward at best. As for "gyro aiming", those games use IR aiming, bar some sections in Red Steel AFAIK. The one game that does use gyro aiming that I can think of is Zombi U when using the Gamepad and that feature was awful - I immediately switched to the stick.

You're right that the games I listed are all IR based but motion plus more than proved that we don't need a IR pointer and sensor bar to get the same effect. If the motion capabilities of the Switch's joy cons are even more capable then we shouldn't have an issue with using gyro controls as an alternative. Obviously this won't be the default for Switch games but it would be nice to have as an option. Heck, at least I'm not asking for touchscreen aiming I.e. mobile games lol. I can bet that we will also be seeing that for the sake of bringing mobile gamers into the Switch tent.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're right that the games I listed are all IR based but motion plus more than proved that we don't need a IR pointer and sensor bar to get the same effect. If the motion capabilities of the Switch's joy cons are even more capable then we shouldn't have an issue with using gyro controls as an alternative. Obviously this won't be the default for Switch games but it would be nice to have as an option. Heck, at least I'm not asking for touchscreen aiming I.e. mobile games lol. I can bet that we will also be seeing that for the sake of bringing mobile gamers into the Switch tent.
Just so you know, I love rail shooters and I quite liked IR aiming, one of my favourite Wii titles use that method (CoD Reflex was great and unique because of it), but in my experience gyros are too finicky when not augmented by a camera, like in a VR setup. Fast motion tends to confuse them. I guess it depends on the implementation, but between the two I choose sticks.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know, I love rail shooters and I quite liked IR aiming, one of my favourite Wii titles use that method (CoD Reflex was great and unique because of it), but in my experience gyros are too finicky when not augmented by a camera, like in a VR setup. Fast motion tends to confuse them. I guess it depends on the implementation, but between the two I choose sticks.

You do have a point that there will be a lot of camera adjustment. In Splatoon I find myself pushing (Y) a lot. I guess after a while you just get used to it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why is partnering up with NVidia a sign of them catching up with the market? AMD and IBM are mainstream companies too, that doesn't mean that the final product is competitive.
You know as well as I do that you get better performance out of Nvidia chipsets than AMD, and not by a small amount. With an AMD architecture a device the size of Switch wouldn't be nearly as powerful as it is. You mentioned GTA5, CoD, and BF1, and I'd be willing to bet it'd be easy to port over two out of three even if it had to be 900p/30, mostly just carry-overs from the XB1 versions. Or is this the part where we pretend like XB1 is some behemoth in regard to actual performance?

Reactions: UltraHurricane

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the games he mentioned were full-on first person shooters rather than light-gun games.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

- The Red Steel series
- The Conduit Series
- Dead Space Extraction
- GoldenEye
- HOTD Overkill

I said gyro shooters as a genre have been completely dead for an entire console generation pretty much, not that none ever existed. When did the last of the games in your list come out? 2010? Yeah people are really clambering for them, cant wait for carnival games 2 to come out on the switch for £60.

Christ.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
50$ Joycon, 60$ games, 70$ controller, $80 2x Joycon, 90$ dock

There is nothing acceptable about the above numbers. Absolute lunacy. $70 for a regular-ass controller? I... I can't even...

All optimism gone.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
50$ Joycon, 60$ games, 70$ controller, $80 2x Joycon, 90$ dock

There is nothing acceptable about the above numbers. Absolute lunacy. $70 for a regular-ass controller? I... I can't even...

All optimism gone.

Most of us feel that way. BTW I thought the dock and controller grip were both 30. Basically a Switch with an extra controller grip add Player 2 JoyCons and one game is gonna cost someone at minimum 470 dollars. WTF?! This system is NOT worth it!

Reactions: SaffronXL

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most of the games he mentioned were full-on first person shooters rather than light-gun games.
...that are only playable with a Nunchuck in one hand and the remote in the other, using IR to aim. I can't even imagine how that would work on just one remote used for both aiming and walking, especially when using gyro aiming. Can we at the very least agree that it's hardly an ideal control scheme for the genre and leave it at that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You know as well as I do that you get better performance out of Nvidia chipsets than AMD, and not by a small amount. With an AMD architecture a device the size of Switch wouldn't be nearly as powerful as it is. You mentioned GTA5, CoD, and BF1, and I'd be willing to bet it'd be easy to port over two out of three even if it had to be 900p/30, mostly just carry-overs from the XB1 versions. Or is this the part where we pretend like XB1 is some behemoth in regard to actual performance?
You missed my point, which was that Nintendo has been using hardware from mainstream manufacturers for years now, it's not a recent development.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dock: $90
Joycon : $80
Grip : $30
Charger $30
Total: $230

Console: $69?
69 is what fanboys are doing non-stop since the announcement for some reason, even though there's ample reason to worry. Lots of devs had a positive opinion of the Switch, shame that it didn't translate into announced games. They had a great opinion of the Wii U too, if I recall correctly.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't mind nintendo not just offering the standardized gaming platform of windows/xbox/ps4/steam. i don't need another one. i have a PC.

i would like accessories to be reduced by 10-20 bucks though. a pro controller shouldn't cost more than a ps4/one controller.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...that are only playable with a Nunchuck in one hand and the remote in the other, using IR to aim. I can't even imagine how that would work on just one remote used for both aiming and walking, especially when using gyro aiming. Can we at the very least agree that it's hardly an ideal control scheme for the genre and leave it at that?
I wouldn't knock it before trying it. I hypothesize it would not be ideal, but I've yet to hold a joycon, and I can't really judge how well that control scheme would work without giving it a try.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK a thought about the $90 dock price: USB-C to HDMI and USB 3.0 is generally $30-$40, was even more before it gained adoption. The Switch dock also has to negotiate charging for the Switch, in addition to the two USB ports on the side. It wouldn't surprise me if the actual cost was a decent chunk of that $90. The Joy-Cons might also be using some relatively new tech or chips which could cause the cost to be higher, but it may lower as time goes on and adoption of the technologies rises.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to make it clear that I am not "waving off" pricing concerns, especially outside of the US. To me, it is perfectly plausible that Nintendo sees the product exactly as they say: an improved successor to their former home console (it is) that is the definitive expression of "Nintendo's DNA" (it is that for sure) that while designed for TV use, it can also be played away from a TV.

This is Nintendo talking to Nintendo's customers, right? Is this the kind of thing that would appeal *first and foremost* to the *majority* of those people...because they do NOT want to lose them.

Then, there is a play here, clearly, at/for a more...uh, affluent set of the usual claimed "everyone" target...BUT I believe I understand why this is - demand control. The more affluent will soak up the primary market inventory very quickly, and after a couple of cycles of this and more production and software, people's trepidation will be assuaged...both "general" consumers and developers/the 'punditry'. This will free up Nintendo to drop perf prices a little and offer some digital rebate in their store. Most of that first wave won't care as the "buyer's remorse" subset will have been weeded out and grousing on the Internet, and the rest, well these are the kinds of people that spend $100s on things sight unseen, because they can. They absorb the first big chunk of risk, everyone generally wins in these scenarios.

I think a big part of the "where are the 'Big name Games'? Why 'Nintendo'?" is only part of the question: do the *vast majority* of people that are already buying what Nintendo is selling really want these things...and if they *DO*...it appears to me that Nintendo isn't "nerfing" anything to stop developers from making whatever. Perhaps *they* don't believe it will sell on the platform because "Nintendo"?

And what does it matter, anyway? In virtually every space Nintendo has entered with every product...except the WiiU, they have dominated. Because Nintendo's answer was the same as everyone else's (more of what we were already doing, better. I mean, where did Sony or MS plant any new flags with the PS4 or Xbox One that were wildly divergent from the PS3 and 360? Right. Exactly. Triangles. Oh. And more "convergence" crap that "adds false value in the form of features"...like BluRay in a world of on-demand streaming from every source...or a clunky TV interface...or TV service. Ugh. And Sony. 4K that really isn't...not that it matters...HDR...I have a supported Bravia and...more eye candy. Same.) but people didn't want it *last time*. Not a bad record. Past Performance/Future Results do not always follow...YMMV.

And too, let's be honest. Virtually every recently released OMG Tour de Force in the last year has had the same basic "issue" - lot of flash. Lacking in substance. Save for the debacle that was NMS out of the gate, most of the accolades have been going to the indie crowd. If you are spending 60M+ to produce blockbusters that don't burn up the charts...but that's a digression.

If Most Anticipated Cross-Platform release of 2017 doesn't get released on a platform that is *coming out in March 2017*...who would expect otherwise...in the really-for-real-world? These titles were in most cases started like two years ago. C'mon :)

Very early angst here people. I mean except for Foxi4. This person seems to believe they have insights that the thing is already failed before it hits retail...and Nintendo, the channel and pretty much everyone else is just going thru the motions and have already moved on to the next thing ;)

Last edited by darkten,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or move to Linux, which was the reason why I hate Windows with a passion.