p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody sells goods at an almost 100% markup. The console business revolves around selling hardware at a slight loss and making money on software. The reason why Nintendo doesn't do that is that there's no software to make money on.

PFFFFFFF WOW, implying that Sony have ALWAYS sold their hardware at a loss

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/report-399-playstation-4-costs-about-381-to-build/
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/13/13273814/playstation-vr-profit

and Nintendo NEVER has

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/27/12294482/nintendo-earnings-q1-2016
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/nintendo-wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss/

btw it's usually consoles themselves that are sold at a loss, not controllers and accessories

and they're just that, accessories, there's really no obligation for the joy-cons to be cheap, it'll only cost a lot if you lose or break them easily or you REALLY need that 4-player action which given your attitude towards the Switch, you don't seem like the type whose interested in that in the first place

Last edited by UltraHurricane,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just showed you a list of'em. For God's sake, I can go to Adafruit right now and get a 3-DOF high-precision gyroscope module on a breakout for $12.50, and that's one unit for an individual customer on an assembled PCB, not thousands of chips bare.
Sorry, I saw the link name and thought it was just an explanation that phones are getting cheaper. Only see one Android phone in there at $30, though. Currently checking it out to see what it's all about. So far, though, I'm not seeing anything about gyroscopes. It, again, has an accelerometer, but I see nothing about gyroscope.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sure the 3 people that want those features will enjoy them.
I guess I'm one of those three. Seriously, people need to realize that motion gaming isn't going away. At least now, developers can't bitch about not having enough buttons. I'm no switch fan but we have motion, a plethora of buttons and HD graphics. I want some damn serious motion games or at least games with motion options for actions. BTW, every shooter for switch better have gyro aiming,

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue here is Nintendo could have kept things simple and gimmick free and kept the costs down too. I am sure even with the gimmicks everything could have been 20% cheaper easily and they could easily have made a profit still.

i don't think it could be that much cheaper honestly, according to @Foxi4, those gimmicky components cost less than $5 to manufacture afterall :yaywii:

Reactions: p1ngpong

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The issue here is Nintendo could have kept things simple and gimmick free and kept the costs down too. I am sure even with the gimmicks everything could have been 20% cheaper easily and they could easily have made a profit still. But what excited me about the switch originally was apart from the concept of the unit being in a dock and the two halved independent controllers it looked relatively gimmick free. The two obvious gimmicks were simple and were things devs could easily work with or not even consider. The unit being portable makes no difference, devs knowing the potential for two player gaming is always an option just adds a simple option to the equation.

But no, here we go again, gimmicks for gimmicks sake and this time in an impractical form factor considering the scope of the console. Are you going to use the waggle on the go ever? Chances are no you wont. When I see waggle and other gimmicks I get that same sinking feeling I have been getting with Nintendo over the past few years and generations. What games will be sacrificed and ruined just for the sake of trying to prove a point and justifying a gimmick? Zelda's on the DS anyone? How did Starfox Zero grab you? Or will the gimmicks just end up barely utilized and something that just adds extra cost to us for little gain like a motion plus or a Wii U tablet screen?

Nintendo expects us to trust them and invest a hefty premium once again in gimmicks that will more than likely amount to nothing. At this point their track record has been more miss than hit for the past few generations, I do not have that faith in them to deliver. This is why most people do not care about waggle controls and do not trust them. And when I say most people I am not talking to the people here that are reading this, you are the minority, the extreme minority. Sometimes I think that a lot of you do not realise that. When I say nobody cares about these gimmicks I mean average gamers, the vast majority that went out and got XBOXs and PS4's. If Nintendo kept things simple and invested the costs in simple thing both gamers and developers could widely appreciate, more powerful hardware, a better screen, better battery etc there would not be a problem here.

But no let's drink the Nintendo koolaid once again and empty out our pockets once again and pray that these gimmicks pay off and lead to an interesting game or two. Then we can smugly point at the two games that might actually benefit from all this and proclaim Nintendo innovative geniuses while the rest of the world doesn't care and plays on its xboxes and PS4's that have 10x more users and 10x more games in their libraries to play on.

when i saw the nintendo director,Tatsumi Kimishima, that this dude calls the team and goes like this:
hey you (developer team, designers etc) nintendo profits are not that good, do a new thing.
team briefs him in ideas "we can do blablabla etc etc etc"
tatsumi goes with: "kids like toys right?, put a bunch of them in the new console, they will love it."

ok, i don't even know if this guy actually cares or is related to the console development, this guy can be just the one that checks the bills and signs papers, maybe it's his employers who are in the charge of the system development and this guy is just there to give them budgets and bureaucratic stuff
but looking at his face, i just see an old gramps who barely knows what is a video game, and even despises videogames
when i look at him, i see my granlpa yelling at me cuz i waste time in theese vidya games toys and how i should be ashamed to be an adult playing with kids toys and games..

ok, maybe i am just judging a book by his cover, and i don't know him etc.. but he has that "i am a big and rich business man" face
maybe he is very good with burycracy papers and numbers, but i believe that the "boss" should know and is interested on what his company sells\creates.. not just about if the company makes money or not...

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I guess I'm one of those three. Seriously, people need to realize that motion gaming isn't going away. At least now, developers can't bitch about not having enough buttons. I'm no switch fan but we have motion, a plethora of buttons and HD graphics. I want some damn serious motion games or at least games with motion options for actions. BTW, every shooter for switch better have gyro aiming,
Serious games or motion games, pick one. You will not see gyro shooters on the switch, no dev would waste their time, they have to consider if that sort of thing is usable with a 7" screen and on the go which it is not. The fact that you barely saw anything like that on the Wii U says a lot as to how much interest there is for that sort of thing, with the exception of starfox that was completely ruined by lumbering it with gyro aiming.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry, I saw the link name and thought it was just an explanation that phones are getting cheaper. Only see one Android phone in there at $30, though. Currently checking it out to see what it's all about. So far, though, I'm not seeing anything about gyroscopes. It, again, has an accelerometer, but I see nothing about gyroscope.
This is a full phone, with a screen, GSM module, Wi-Fi, a proper CPU, the works, and it's half of the price of just the controller - surely you can cede the point that it's more packed than a joycon which runs on a cheapo microcontroller with no screen. All of the additional hardware more than makes up for the gyro you're obsessed about. C'mon now.
i don't think it could be that much cheaper honestly, according to @Foxi4, those gimmicky components cost less than $5 to manufacture afterall :yaywii:
They do, except $5 for each joycon equals $10 off for the pair, which means a $75 pricetag for a pair changes into $65, which is more acceptable. Everything adds up.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a full phone, with a screen, GSM module, Wi-Fi, a proper CPU, the works, and it's half of the price of just the controller - surely you can cede the point that it's more packed than a joycon which runs on a cheapo microcontroller with no screen. All of the additional hardware more than makes up for the gyro you're obsessed about. C'mon now.
I'm not obsessed with the gyro. The original post to which I responded said that you get these gyroscopes in $30 android phones. Some device that doesn't have a gyroscope is completely irrelevant to that claim.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do, except $5 for each joycon equals $10 off for the pair, which means a $75 pricetag for a pair changes into $65, which is more acceptable. Everything adds up.

so they're $10 more expensive then your liking, thanks for pointing that out...?

at this point you sound like someone whose being held at gunpoint to buy extra joy-cons, are you really that concern that they'll get lost/broken that easily that you're force to buy extras?

honestly you make the Joy-Cons sound like they're as durable as Ouya controllers

so what if they charge a $10+ premium? They're Nintendo, they know how to make a goddamn controller

did i mention they come with the system? i don't think i've ever mentioned that before, i could be wrong

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
I hate to stick my nose in here, but I do want to add that Nintendo's products generally have a higher quality standard than other items. My theory is that they intentionally design their products to withstand being hurled across the room by kiddo's and stuff. I know I used to pitch my controllers quite often for the first two decades of my life, and I still sometimes karate-chop my current products or knock them against the floor. I hold back, but I will at least say that overall their stuff's made to take abuse more than other stuff.

I mean, just look at the average smart phone with its busted screen. I imagine a sizeable portion of the cost is going to go to keeping that technology from breaking in the hands of younger gamers. And it's at least one thing I can still trust Nintendo on, for the most part. Durable accessories.

I do admit to cringing about the price of things, though. But one more point to make is that with the Wii U, you did not have to buy any new accessories in that generation. You got to make full use of all of your Wii peripherals. So in the end, the Wii U really was like an upgraded Wii, and not a new console. So lets see where things go, and if you can't justify the price right now, remember that unless you've got a terminal illness, you'll eventually get to play those games for less. Have patience, and try not to be too harsh of doomsayers. That negative atmosphere can in-itself severely hurt things these days before it even gets the chance to take off. Such is the modern information age...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PFFFFFFF WOW, implying that Sony have ALWAYS sold their hardware at a loss

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/report-399-playstation-4-costs-about-381-to-build/
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/13/13273814/playstation-vr-profit

and Nintendo NEVER has

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/27/12294482/nintendo-earnings-q1-2016
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/nintendo-wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss/

btw it's usually consoles themselves that are sold at a loss, not controllers and accessories

and they're just that, accessories, there's really no obligation for the joy-cons to be cheap, it'll only cost a lot if you lose or break them easily or you REALLY need that 4-player action which given your attitude towards the Switch, you don't seem like the type whose interested in that in the first place
Where in that quote did I mention Sony even once? I said that the markup is too high. Do you have some brand loyalty issues that need addressing before we can have a legitimate conversation? The controllers cost too much compared to the competition's, that's that.
so they're $10 more expensive then your liking, thanks for pointing that out...?

at this point you sound like someone whose being held at gunpoint to buy extra joy-cons, are you really that concern that they'll get lost/broken that easily that you're force to buy extras?

honestly you make the Joy-Cons sound like they're as durable as Ouya controllers

so what if they charge a $10+ premium? They're Nintendo, they know how to make a goddamn controller

did i mention they come with the system? i don't think i've ever mentioned that before, i could be wrong
One pair, yes. I have two PS4 controllers because I have a life. I plan to have two Switch controllers as well.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where in that quote did I mention Sony even once? I said that the markup is too high. Do you have some brand loyalty issues that need addressing before we can have a legitimate conversation? The controllers cost too much compared to the competition's, that's that

no, i wasn't implying you did either, just that it's not accurate that everyone expect nintendo always sells hardware at a loss, and certainly not controllers

One pair, yes. I have two PS4 controllers because I have a life. I plan to have two Switch controllers as well.
oh good, it comes with 2 already :yaywii::switch::yaywii:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
no, i wasn't implying you did either, just that it's not accurate that everyone expect nintendo always sells hardware at a loss, and certainly not controllers
oh good, it comes with 2 already :yaywii::switch::yaywii:
Pretending that the two joycons are two controllers is the equivalent of pretending that the WiiMote and the Nunchuck are also two separate controllers - they're two parts of one complete whole. Games like ARMS require two joycons, most normal games require a complete controller with two sticks and a full set of buttons, stop being facetious.

Reactions: Minox and thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, ohkay