p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The U.S. doesn't have this problem. Maybe there's some problem going on inside of NOE, and hopefully they will fix this before launch.

Last edited by Deboog,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mind me fapping to your voice
jerk.gif

F4LK

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So $300 for the console, $60 for Zelda (the only interesting game atm), and $ ~80 for another gamepad...

Nintendo pls y u do this.

Reactions: endoverend

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Absolutely ridiculous pricing for accessories. There is nothing that justifies controller prices like this, no matter what kind of tech is in them. DS4 controllers have sixaxis, a touchpad, the works - all they're missing is the kitchen sink and they cost 49,99. There is no reason why a bunch of buttons and an accelerometer should cost this much, the PS4 and XBO controllers are overpriced as-is and Nintendo went far beyond what was already too much. This very well might bury an otherwise interesting, albeit underpowered system.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely ridiculous pricing for accessories. There is nothing that justifies controller prices like this, no matter what kind of tech is in them. DS4 controllers have sixaxis, a touchpad, the works - all they're missing is the kitchen sink and they cost 49,99. There is no reason why a bunch of buttons and an accelerometer should cost this much, the PS4 and XBO controllers are overpriced as-is and Nintendo went far beyond what was already too much. This very well might bury an otherwise interesting, albeit underpowered system.
To be fair, the joy cons do have far more features in them than even DS4 controllers. Object recognition, HD (haptic) rumble, full motion controls, NFC reader/writer, and two controllers in one. Still, Nintendo certainly isn't doing themselves any favors here. They're going to have a hard time explaining why the controllers cost as much as they do. We'll probably see some pretty quick price drops, ala 3DS release.

Last edited by Xzi,

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
To be fair, the joy cons do have far more features in them than even DS4 controllers. Object recognition, HD (haptic) rumble, full motion controls, NFC reader/writer, and two controllers in one. Still, Nintendo certainly isn't doing themselves any favors here. They're going to have a hard time explaining why the controllers cost as much as they do.
All features nobody cares about that inflate the price for no reason. The joycons are impressively accurate but I would have taken a £40 cut in price for the console and the joycons and left out the waggle shit and HD rumble that nobody cares about.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
when i think of Nintendo the following quote comes to mind: how the mighty have fallen.

i really want switch to do well. but for it to do well: you need games. at the moment is they really any good on the 1st day?

Last edited by Flame,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
they've been reusing the same design for 20 years now, of course their stuff is cheap.
nintendo buys custom hardware to put into its mini controllers. no way they would be cheap to make.

also, if you want to play with others, have them get their own switch...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

All features nobody cares about that inflate the price for no reason. The joycons are impressively accurate but I would have taken a £40 cut in price for the console and the joycons and left out the waggle shit and HD rumble that nobody cares about.
no one cared about being able to point and click on your tv screen before the wiimote either.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
when i think of Nintendo the following quote comes to mind: how the mighty have fallen.

i really want switch to do well. but for it to do well: you need games. at the moment is they really any good on the 1st day?
1st day isnt what we should be looking at, we should be looking at launch window(from a business perspective), its too early to say what will come on launch as devs chip in for their say on the Switch.

D

Deleted User

Wow, your voice sounds so familiar it's kinda scary.

Yeah, I can agree with you on the price. It's disgusting how they have priced their stuff. This is a last ditch effort trying to shell out as much money before they die.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMO the haptic rumble sounds really cool, if they do, do VR in the end, this is a pretty big head start.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, your voice sounds so familiar it's kinda scary.

Yeah, I can agree with you on the price. It's disgusting how they have priced their stuff. This is a last ditch effort trying to shell out as much money before they die.
Man, the Temp is pessimistic as fuck, while I can agree the pricing is high, expect a price drop sooner or later.... Jesus cant get over this irrational pessimism people have.

And nobody has cared about pointing and clicking at your tv screen since then either.
Other than VR of course... And smart TV's....

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
1st day isnt what we should be looking at, we should be looking at launch window(from a business perspective), its too early to say what will come on launch as devs chip in for their say on the Switch.

i said 1st day cause the launch window is worse.

Man, the Temp is pessimistic as fuck, while I can agree the pricing is high, expect a price drop sooner or later.... Jesus cant get over this irrational pessimism people have.

it will once it hits the bargain bin. i think you are blinded by your love of Nintendo. some times you need to give tough love for them to understand what time it is.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
The HTC vive type controllers were inevitable for VR, you need to manipulate 3D space, they are not aping wii motes even if wiii motes never existed a similar device would be invented for VR.

Also Nintendo didn't invent air mice that were around long before wii motes.

Also waggle doesn't sell in 2017.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i said 1st day cause the launch window is worse.

it will once it hits the bargain bin. i think you are blinded by your love of Nintendo. some times you need to give tough love for them to understand what time it is.
How is the launch window worse? Also as i had said, its too early to tell.

Call me optimistic. Didnt know temp has basically no optimism, sometimes i think some of you guys just hate life.

The HTC vive type controllers were inevitable for VR, you need to manipulate 3D space, they are not aping wii motes even if wiii motes never existed a similar device would be invented for VR.

Also Nintendo didn't invent air mice that were around long before wii motes.

Also waggle doesn't sell in 2017.
Well its not waggle though, is it? Based on ARMS it seems more precise than motion plus at least. Its not just HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and Playstation VR use similar principles, youre not trying to tell me they arent popular right now are you? It seems the gimmicks Nintendo is adding is mostly for future proofing, just in case they do get into VR, because at that point, Nintendo would be the cheapest option. (Other than phone VR, which isnt really meant for gaming)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs