p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by p1ngpong, Jan 13, 2017.

1. p1ngpong
    OP

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

2. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    The U.S. doesn't have this problem. Maybe there's some problem going on inside of NOE, and hopefully they will fix this before launch.

Last edited by Deboog, Jan 13, 2017
  3. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    Don't mind me fapping to your voice [​IMG]

4. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    I'm pretty sure mainstream media doesn't really seem to care about Nintendo (and I can't really say I do too lmao) which is probably why there was no news outlets turning up or whatever.

5. F4LK

F4LK GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2017
    Sweden
    So $300 for the console, $60 for Zelda (the only interesting game atm), and $ ~80 for another gamepad...

Nintendo pls y u do this.

endoverend likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Absolutely ridiculous pricing for accessories. There is nothing that justifies controller prices like this, no matter what kind of tech is in them. DS4 controllers have sixaxis, a touchpad, the works - all they're missing is the kitchen sink and they cost 49,99. There is no reason why a bunch of buttons and an accelerometer should cost this much, the PS4 and XBO controllers are overpriced as-is and Nintendo went far beyond what was already too much. This very well might bury an otherwise interesting, albeit underpowered system.

ArturDat3DS, Ra1d, McHaggis and 17 others like this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    To be fair, the joy cons do have far more features in them than even DS4 controllers. Object recognition, HD (haptic) rumble, full motion controls, NFC reader/writer, and two controllers in one. Still, Nintendo certainly isn't doing themselves any favors here. They're going to have a hard time explaining why the controllers cost as much as they do. We'll probably see some pretty quick price drops, ala 3DS release.

Last edited by Xzi, Jan 13, 2017
    UltraHurricane and iAqua like this.
  8. p1ngpong
    OP

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    All features nobody cares about that inflate the price for no reason. The joycons are impressively accurate but I would have taken a £40 cut in price for the console and the joycons and left out the waggle shit and HD rumble that nobody cares about.

nonamejohn, Ra1d, McHaggis and 7 others like this.
  9. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I see them dropping prices on accessories, before dropping the console price.

10. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    when i think of Nintendo the following quote comes to mind: how the mighty have fallen.

i really want switch to do well. but for it to do well: you need games. at the moment is they really any good on the 1st day?

Last edited by Flame, Jan 13, 2017
  11. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    they've been reusing the same design for 20 years now, of course their stuff is cheap.
    nintendo buys custom hardware to put into its mini controllers. no way they would be cheap to make.

also, if you want to play with others, have them get their own switch...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

no one cared about being able to point and click on your tv screen before the wiimote either.

osaka35 and Arithmatics like this.
  12. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    1st day isnt what we should be looking at, we should be looking at launch window(from a business perspective), its too early to say what will come on launch as devs chip in for their say on the Switch.

13. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Wow, your voice sounds so familiar it's kinda scary.

Yeah, I can agree with you on the price. It's disgusting how they have priced their stuff. This is a last ditch effort trying to shell out as much money before they die.

14. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    IMO the haptic rumble sounds really cool, if they do, do VR in the end, this is a pretty big head start.

15. p1ngpong
    OP

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    And nobody has cared about pointing and clicking at your tv screen since then either.

jupitersj, Ra1d, McHaggis and 5 others like this.
  16. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Man, the Temp is pessimistic as fuck, while I can agree the pricing is high, expect a price drop sooner or later.... Jesus cant get over this irrational pessimism people have.

Other than VR of course... And smart TV's....

Millsy and Nah3DS like this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Whoo I saw myself there.

VinLark likes this.
  18. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    i said 1st day cause the launch window is worse.

it will once it hits the bargain bin. i think you are blinded by your love of Nintendo. some times you need to give tough love for them to understand what time it is.

jupitersj, aljpn91 and LightyKD like this.
  19. p1ngpong
    OP

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    The HTC vive type controllers were inevitable for VR, you need to manipulate 3D space, they are not aping wii motes even if wiii motes never existed a similar device would be invented for VR.

Also Nintendo didn't invent air mice that were around long before wii motes.

Also waggle doesn't sell in 2017.

20. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    How is the launch window worse? Also as i had said, its too early to tell.

Call me optimistic. Didnt know temp has basically no optimism, sometimes i think some of you guys just hate life.

Well its not waggle though, is it? Based on ARMS it seems more precise than motion plus at least. Its not just HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and Playstation VR use similar principles, youre not trying to tell me they arent popular right now are you? It seems the gimmicks Nintendo is adding is mostly for future proofing, just in case they do get into VR, because at that point, Nintendo would be the cheapest option. (Other than phone VR, which isnt really meant for gaming)