Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I'm having trouble loading my .wbfs version of the game in USB Loader GX. On load, I only get a black screen. Is there some sort of setting I'm supposed to use? Dolphin can load the .wbfs fine, if that makes any difference.

I realize you're the author of the Line Attack Heroes translation as well. I'm having the same issue there - I installed the WAD to EmuNAND, but I get locked on a black screen. The WAD loads in Dolphin.

Other translations, such as Earth Seeker, load on my Wii without issue, and as far as I know I installed the cIOS correctly when going through the Homebrew process.
Hello,

Are you using the "Riivolution" method in Dolphin that I described in the manual? Getting a black screen with this method shouldn't be possible : the worse you could get is no translation, if you didn't set your path correctly.

Maybe try this method before extracting your WBFS? That should make it faster and easier to determine whether the culprit is the disc image, or the configuration.

Looking forward to reading from you.

HelpWantedPerson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Brand, thank you for the reply. I will try the Riivolution method in Dolphin when I get home from work, which will be 10+ hours. Thanks for troubleshooting with me.

To clarify a few things - I have an HDD plugged into my Wii. I took that HDD and loaded the exact .wbfs that was on it in Dolphin, and it loaded. I believe it has the translation because I got an English "No WiiMote detected" warning, but I went no further. I noted in the unpatched iso that message was in Japanese, so I had reasonable confidence I had patched correctly. I'm fairly new to USB Loader GX, so I was hoping there was an obvious setting I was just unaware of.

You would almost certainly no more about patching than I do, so perhaps I missed something that doesn't impact Dolphin but would impact real hardware. I went off instructions on the patching process and used Dolphin to extract the "filesystem" and re-convert to an .iso, rather than using your recommended tool, could that be the culprit? I then used WiiBackupManager to convert to a .wbfs and store on my HDD.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hey Brand, thank you for the reply. I will try the Riivolution method in Dolphin when I get home from work, which will be 10+ hours. Thanks for troubleshooting with me.

To clarify a few things - I have an HDD plugged into my Wii. I took that HDD and loaded the exact .wbfs that was on it in Dolphin, and it loaded. I believe it has the translation because I got an English "No WiiMote detected" warning, but I went no further. I noted in the unpatched iso that message was in Japanese, so I had reasonable confidence I had patched correctly. I'm fairly new to USB Loader GX, so I was hoping there was an obvious setting I was just unaware of.

You would almost certainly no more about patching than I do, so perhaps I missed something that doesn't impact Dolphin but would impact real hardware. I went off instructions on the patching process and used Dolphin to extract the "filesystem" and re-convert to an .iso, rather than using your recommended tool, could that be the culprit? I then used WiiBackupManager to convert to a .wbfs and store on my HDD.
I believe your Wii is PAL? In that case, try forcing NTSC in your video setting "per game" (don't use the general setting, or it will force video mode in all your games). That could do the trick, considering using the wrong video mode will indeed give you a black screen.
And I can confirm I had to translate that sentence : so yeah, I'm pretty sure you patched the iso right. ;)

HelpWantedPerson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe your Wii is PAL? In that case, try forcing NTSC in your video setting "per game" (don't use the general setting, or it will force video mode in all your games). That could do the trick

Unfortunately, I have an NTSC console. I had tried the per-game NTSC force yesterday, and again today after your recommendation, but the screen is still black. I also tried to force NTSC 480, and no. Based on what you said about the translation patch, I'm skipping the Riivolution+Dolphin step, but let me know if you think it'd be valuable and I'll do it now that I'm home.

I ran a homebrew syscheck app to compile the data about my Wii, tabled below. I don't really know what the IOS's do, but USB Loader GX defaults to using IOS249. I tried IOS250 yesterday. I suppose I could try IOS251 as well, but currently I haven't. The only other modifications I'm using I believe is turning off deflicker. USB Loader GX is on version 3.0r1281 and there was no update available.

SysCheck ME v2.5.0 by blackb0xJoostinOnlineDouble_AR2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6175).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 05.26.2006
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: xxx
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 121 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 14 of them are stubs.
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 525): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1038): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1293): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1806): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4123): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3606): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3606): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3606): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3606): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4123): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6175): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6943): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS248[38] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha BugES IdentifyNAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 07/09/2024.

Last edited by HelpWantedPerson,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went off instructions on the patching process and used Dolphin to extract the "filesystem" and re-convert to an .iso, rather than using your recommended tool, could that be the culprit? I then used WiiBackupManager to convert to a .wbfs and store on my HDD.
One way to test would be to rebuild the vanilla game image in this fashion and try that rebuilt vanilla iso>wbfs. If you get the same black screen behavior it's definitely being introduced by the patching/conversion method you used rather than the translation patch.

HelpWantedPerson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One way to test would be to rebuild the vanilla game image in this fashion and try that rebuilt vanilla iso>wbfs. If you get the same black screen behavior it's definitely being introduced by the patching/conversion method you used rather than the translation patch.
I'll try testing this as well, but I'm not sure it's a definitely. It seems like there are a lot of variables at play. For example, maybe the wbfs is totally correct, but I'm not using the right cIOS. Speaking of correct, if I hashed the file, could someone possibly compare it to a known good hash of the wbfs with the patch?
Post automatically merged:

I don't know if anyone can help me verify, but I used a Python script online (which I don't believe I can link as a new account) and got these hashes for my patched file (RK7J0A.wbfs):

MD5: fcd75d59e37ee0ff688315b2bfaa9e97 SHA1: 0bfdd706cf971a49fbd111b761a3fa5019ba91d7
My file is also 4,028,416KB

The unpatched file, for reference:

MD5: edc997ae66e149878d54c153fcb69851 SHA1: f7c1504bebc66a7eca7e52d12eeb3c2ea283e023
size: 3,913,728KB

-------

Another update: the unpatched file did load on my Wii, so I've gone back to follow the patching instructions more closely. I've downloaded WIT, but the instructions don't match my experience here:

The “DUMP” folder should have the following structure:
Instead of having the pictured structure, I have a DATA folder and an UPDATE folder. Both have similar structures to the picture in the guide. This happened to me the last time too, and I ended up only applying the patch to the DATA portion.

------

Final update: it works!

Using WIT seemed to be the difference. I applied the patch as instructed, replacing the files in DATA and not UPDATE. I then used WIT to repackage the files back into an iso, and WiiBackupManager to convert to wbfs on my HDD. The resulting wbfs was less than 4GB and hashed to the following:

MD5: f25d01ee3fd8c26ea373f43293476824 SHA1: 3b12b36e4cb8c24655e9ba0fdec70af1435cccfe
^^ hopefully that gift helps someone else in the future. Now, I'm going to see if I can fix Line Attack Heroes as well.

Last edited by HelpWantedPerson,
Reactions: Brand Newman

alphaum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm having trouble loading my .wbfs version of the game in USB Loader GX. On load, I only get a black screen. Is there some sort of setting I'm supposed to use? Dolphin can load the .wbfs fine, if that makes any difference.

I realize you're the author of the Line Attack Heroes translation as well. I'm having the same issue there - I installed the WAD to EmuNAND, but I get locked on a black screen. The WAD loads in Dolphin.

Other translations, such as Earth Seeker, load on my Wii without issue, and as far as I know I installed the cIOS correctly when going through the Homebrew process.
have you tried installing priilouder? install it and go to the system menu options hacks and enable region free for all games and all wads. Having priiloader installed and these options activated means that your wii can read games from any region: U - E - J - K because many black screen problems are due to people trying to play a game in a region other than the one on the console. I believe this will solve the problem. Another good thing is to have the latest versions installed, so you'll have a powerful machine!

HelpWantedPerson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried installing priilouder? install it and go to the system menu options hacks and enable region free for all games and all wads. Having priiloader installed and these options activated means that your wii can read games from any region: U - E - J - K because many black screen problems are due to people trying to play a game in a region other than the one on the console. I believe this will solve the problem. Another good thing is to have the latest versions installed, so you'll have a powerful machine!
I was actually able to fix my issue by re-applying the patch already. However, I didn't enable that setting, so I went ahead and did so. My understanding (which may be wrong) is that USB Loader GX is already a region-free loader (I've had no issue running Japanese games through it prior), and the Priiloader setting would allow you to run retail discs from the menu. Still, sounds like a good feature!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: :tpi: