Tutorial  Updated

OTP Guide

Full Guide Release!

https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

All regions now supported!

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

If you felt like the guide helped you out then I'd really appreciate it! If I get enough I may buy a 2DS for testing hardware stuff so I don't break another N3DS.

If the guide didn't help you out then I'm really sorry about that :(

Last edited by Plailect,

dreassica

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just successfully dumped my OTP ( done twice to verify it too), but no I am at section IV step 6: "After Decrypt9 has loaded, follow the options on the main menu to restore your sysNAND and your emuNAND fromNAND.bin and emuNAND.bin respectively."

But the last few times I loaded and used decrypt9 it froze on me after dumping/flashing stuff, meaning I won't be able to do both sys and emunand in one go and would have to reboot after restoring sysnand, which would obviously mean I would land at 9.2.

Would that matter for restoring the emunand.bin? Or is it absolutely vital I do the restoring in 1 go before rebooting and continueing on with the last few steps in the guide?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the 2.2 update, looks good for the mac version, except in the two calls of the 3DSFAT16tool_Darwin command, it doesn't recognise the flags -n and -o, it takes them to be filenames, so...

Code:
3DSFAT16tool (C version) by d0k3
--------------------------------
dumping & decrypting sysNAND.bin
 from -n
 using ctr.bin

open ctr.bin failed!

injecting & encrypting sysNAND.bin
 to -o
 using ctr.bin

open ctr.bin failed!

Running the commands with the -n and -o removed seems to work.

Skaterdie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Successful retrieval of opt.bin n3ds downgraded to 2.1 from 10.6 emunand. No hiccups along the way this guide worked like a charm.

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Successfully dumped the OTP.bin, compiled the arm9loaderhax.3dsx and installed A9H without any issues (and any hardmod :rofl:) on my O3ds XL. :yay3ds:

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mac version may be bugged (the person who sent it to me compiled v3.2 instead of v2.0, and v3.2 is untested) and the soonest I can update is tomorrow afternoon. I recommend against testing it if you don't have a hardmod.

If you do have a hardmod and are on Mac edit the script to remove the '-n' and '-o' flags of the 3DSFAT16tool lines and run it. If you don't it will throw an error.

Afterwards, tell me if it bricks or not.

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Plailect any reason downgrading from 10.6 emunand wouldn't work? The guide just mentions 10.5.
10.6 will work, but you'll need to use the HB launcher CIA, OOTHax, or Ninjhax since browserhax was patched.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the 2.2 update, looks good for the mac version, except in the two calls of the 3DSFAT16tool_Darwin command, it doesn't recognise the flags -n and -o, it takes them to be filenames, so...

Code:
dumping & decrypting sysNAND.bin
from -n
using ctr.bin

open ctr.bin failed!

injecting & encrypting sysNAND.bin
to -o
using ctr.bin

open ctr.bin failed!

Running the commands with the -n and -o removed seems to work.
Did it brick or work when you flashed it? I didn't know they sent me v3.2 since I don't have a Mac to test it :(

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's now recommended to update emunand to latest frimware before downgrading to 2.1?

There's a note on it in the guide, basically some people with a patched twl_firm have found (since the upgrade restored the original version) it increased downgrade success. Otherwise its just a convenience thing if you already have emunand on 10.6

lpchaim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just wanted to drop by and thank you for this @Plailect, I've got my n3ds's OTP just yesterday and all is set now. Nice guide with clear instructions that are just enough so that someone with minimum 3ds hacking knowledge should have no trouble following. I had to adapt the emunand downgrading part since it was on 10.6, so I just reflashed the sysnand backup to emunand and formatted it to get browserhax access and continued from there. Also, nothing to do with your guide, but it annoyed and suprised me that the arm9loaderhax installer restores NAND.bin with no confirmation whatsoever, an annoyance further compounded by the fact that this function doesn't appear to be documented from what I've read. Oh well, at least all went well.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used rev 2.2 on Windows and got my OTP from my 2 devices:

1) 3DSXL (updated to) 9.2 + emuNAND at 10.6 - no hardmod
2) N3DSXL 9.0 + emuNAND at 10.6 - no hardmod

All wen't fine w/o hassle, thanks for this !!

Kayak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive used various revisions on new and old 3ds Thank you for the guide got all the OTPs without hassle bit of nervousness but nothing went wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think