Opinion on swearing?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to hang with us, I don't want to hear you cuss.

Honestly, I have no problem with swearing. They're just words you use to add emphasis, which better communicates what you're trying to convey (Frustration especially). Now of course there are limits and they have their place; I avoid swearing in front of small children or in any professional setting, but that's just common sense.

Other than that, though, there's really no harm in them.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear at times of pain, anger, surprise, and fear. I swear for emphasis and with my friends. I get embarassed when I accidentally swear around my family. I have no problem with it. If I did, I'd have a problem with me. What I do have a problem with is children swearing. They don't understand the time and place for it, and it is a clear sign of poor parenting.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Everything is good in moderation - swearwords are an integral part of every language and they deserve to be remembered and used, not in a lowly but rather a crafty manner. Besides, what else can you say when you stubbed a toe or hit your head againts something if not "Fuuuu!!!"?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear for emphasis.
There's a big difference between calling someone a moron, and calling them a fucking moron. There's a time and place for everything.

IRL I can't stand kids under 14 swearing. It's just out of place. Plus they never know how to swear properly, making themselves look like morons.
In public though,I can't stand swearing at all. My friend is terrible for this. He swears like a retard no matter where we are. It's so bad. Like when I was in the Nintendo section of Walmart looking for 3DS games with him and he starts swearin' like crazy with a bunch of little girls and their parents beside us. Fuck that was embarrassing.

I'm 14 now, and I've started swearing when I was about 10.. My parents don't know about it, as I never cuss around my little sister or my parents. I often cuss on online games and such, but not excessively, and it's usually to joke around, or sometimes vent my rage, as I can be quite competitive. I don't think it's a really good habit. Alot of my classmates (notice how I didn't say "friends") cuss quite alot, and they often make no sense at all.

Deleted member 282441

AKA ZeroTheSavior
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like many have said, they are just word. You give them meaning. The good or the bad meaning depends of the user and listener.

For example, here in El Salvador there are words that mean a total diferent thing in other latin american countries. For example "Pendejo" would translate to something like "fucking asshole", but in Costa Rica, it means "you chicken" which it even isn't a true insult. There are more examples like this.

From what my Mexican friends tell me "baka" means cow in Spanish. It means moron in Japanese...

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason why words have negative connotations to them is because WE give them negative connotations.

The reason why people have these negative connotations of these words is because either:
Their parents beat the shit out of them for saying them
Their parents told them how bad it is to say these words
They are easily influenced by the people around them (who to fall in one of these three categories).

The families who try and restrict the words their children hear are broken.
That's like trying to hide the fact that when you grow up you are going to have to take care of yourself.
That's like trying to hide the fact that when you drive, you use gas. What eventually happens? You have to pay for the gas.
Parents who hide these offensive words and restricts them from their kids encourage the negative connotations associated with the words.

Lastly, above all else, people who get offended when other people cuss and tell them not to cuss... can just choke on a carrot.
The word is offensive not by the person saying it, but by the person hearing it. It's not their responsibility to baby other people's opinions.
Without further ado... fuck bitch ass ...

---
I'm going to be honest. The joy people get from cussing is mainly because that negative connotations exist with it.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only reason why words have negative connotations to them is because WE give them negative connotations.

The reason why people have these negative connotations of these words is because either:
They are easily influenced by the people around them (who to fall in one of these three categories).

That's like trying to hide the fact that when you grow up you are going to have to take care of yourself.
That's like trying to hide the fact that when you drive, you use gas. What eventually happens? You have to pay for the gas.
Parents who hide these offensive words and restricts them from their kids encourage the negative connotations associated with the words.

Lastly, above all else, people who get offended when other people cuss and tell them not to cuss... can just choke on a carrot.
The word is offensive not by the person saying it, but by the person hearing it. It's not their responsibility to baby other people's opinions.

---
I'm going to be honest. The joy people get from cussing is mainly because that negative connotations exist with it.

so you are saying i should let my son say [censored] and fuck as long as he thinks they are nice things to say?

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

---

so you are saying i should let my son say [censored] and fuck as long as he thinks they are nice things to say?

If you had read anything I just said, I said the reason why your son is going to grow up believing those words are offensive is because you probably would beat the shit out of him for saying it. What does fuck mean? What is so bad about it?

fucking brainwashed people... They are just words that you distorted and gave them bad meaning. It's people like you who keep the negative connotations attached to the word.

---

While I'm on the subject, lets make "Nando" to be an offensive word.

Your flashing off "Nando" everytime you post. So what ... I haven't brainwashed all of GBAtemp to also see that "Nando" is an offensive word. But you wouldn't change your username for other people's expense especially mine because I'm going to get offended everytime I read your name. That's how offensive words should be. You shouldn't have to watch the fucking words you say for other people's expenses. Yet, our little brainwashed society is willing to crucify people who are going against the majority. Because of that, your son should not cuss because of flaws with society, not because the word is offensive/

---
Read my last 100 posts, you will see that very rarely I have ever used words you would consider offensive. The only reason why I would want to use offensive words in the first place is because people like you gave it a significant meaning. Without a negative connotation to fuck, I would have no reason to post it. So, why I do believe offensive words should not be offensive, I also thank people like you for giving me the joy to express my words appropriately. And that, I will thank your post.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

---

If you had read anything I just said, I said the reason why your son is going to grow up believing those words are offensive is because you probably would beat the shit out of him for saying it. What does fuck mean? What is so bad about it?

fucking brainwashed people... They are just words that you distorted and gave them bad meaning. It's people like you who keep the negative connotations attached to the word.

---

Your flashing off "Nando" everytime you post. So what I haven't brainwashed all of GBAtemp to also see that "Nando" is an offensive word. But you wouldn't change your username for other people's expense. That's how offensive words should be. You shouldn't have to watch the fucking words you say for other people's expenses. Yet, our little brainwashed society is willing to crucify people who going against the majority.

---
Read my last 100 posts, you will see that very rarely I have ever used words you would consider offensive. The only reason why I would want to use offensive words in the first place is because people like you gave it a significant meaning. Without a negative connotation to fuck, I would have no reason to post it. So, why I do believe offensive words should not be offensive, I also thank people like you for giving me the joy to express my words appropriately. And that, I will thank your post.

one person doesn't get to decide if a word is offensive and many words have literal meanings for example "i am going to [censored] you in the ASS" has a very literal meaning that has nothing to do with bad connotations

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even in your example, ass isn't the offensive word. I can replace any word with the one you put [censored] and it can still be equally offensive. It's not even offensive... or at least my girlfriend doesn't see it as offensive.

Then how many people it takes to claim to make it offensive is an opinion in itself. It would be almost impossible to explain, but I'll attempt to explain it in one sentence.

What makes the majority better than the minority - opinions.

That's all I have to say on the topic. I have two laptops sitting on my desk that need looking at AND I have to build a SAS code to generate lorenz curves AND a pile of partial differential equation sitting on my desk. If what I said has not convinced you otherwise, we are both wasting our time.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even in your example, ass isn't the offensive word. I can replace any word with the one you put [censored] and it can still be equally offensive. It's not even offensive... or at least my girlfriend doesn't see it as offensive.

that's because your girlfriend would be what we call a [censored]

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't swear myself, but that's because I find it quite unattractive when girls swear (excessively at least). I tolerate it because I think it's okay to use in certain circumstances. I get really annoyed if someone cusses every other word though. Like, swearing loses it's purpose when it's tossed around like common words.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like Zetta (not trying to create factions here...) I believe that words have the meaning that we give them. Those cuss words that we were all told not to say are only that way because someone has made them to mean that. That being said, there is a time and place to express your anger and there also inappropriate ones. Just because they do have those meanings doesn't mean that they have to used. Hell, you might as well make up your own swear word that you can use. No one else would know that your swearing. :P

To end this post, a quote from Shakespeare: "Nothing is good or evil but the mind makes it so." Okay so it wasn't really Shakespeare but from one of his plays. Either way this pretty much sums up this post.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To end this post, a quote from Shakespeare: "Nothing is good or evil but the mind makes it so." Okay so it wasn't really Shakespeare but from one of his plays. Either way this pretty much sums up this post.

A fuck by any other name would still be fucking great.

Added to the word filter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo