Opinion on swearing?

Giggtysword344

I want some Scum Nyums
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your true,uncensored opinion on swearing? And also what is your opinion on children swearing also? Is it bad? Or is it good? I want to know.
They are just words to me so i could care less.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Don't give no kind of fuck. If I were to put a minimum age on swearing it'd be like...13. They're old enough to know and probably use it anyways. People use it to get their point across a lot, too. So...NO FUCKS GIVEN HERE, BOSS.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
When done sparingly it makes one appear as an edgy hipster at worst and a laid-back dude at best.

Overdone it makes one appear as a Neanderthal.

Best not to do it at all. (unless you're Deadlyfoez or Andrew Dice Clay, they're grandfathered in so it's ok for them to overcuss :P )

Reactions: 2 people

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only swear just to be funny around my friends and when something goes wrong. I "try" my best to not swear around people that are older than me.

But I find it annoying when people swear excessively.

Reactions: 1 person

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a time and a place for cussing. You have to decided whether or not you want to cuss in certain situations or conversations. Usually on irc I cuss but not profusely and people really don't care. Though I have a friend on a skype group that we all respect enough to not cuss that much at all, as he does not like it.

IRL it's the same thing, some people don't care if you do it, others do.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm not one for cussing, though I've had a slip of the tongue a few times in the past. While I don't make a commotion about the average person cussing, I do have a thing about kids cussing. Kids have a way of ingraining into their minds things that they see, hear, etc. and it then becomes a part of them. IMO, a kid (under the care of parents) that cusses is an indication of poor parenting.

edited for clarification

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I swear for emphasis.
There's a big difference between calling someone a moron, and calling them a fucking moron. There's a time and place for everything.

IRL I can't stand kids under 14 swearing. It's just out of place. Plus they never know how to swear properly, making themselves look like morons.
In public though,I can't stand swearing at all. My friend is terrible for this. He swears like a retard no matter where we are. It's so bad. Like when I was in the Nintendo section of Walmart looking for 3DS games with him and he starts swearin' like crazy with a bunch of little girls and their parents beside us. Fuck that was embarrassing.

Reactions: 4 people

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even find time in my actual life to drop any kind of cuss word, just find no point. As for people who do cuss, I believe they should keep it at a minimum or they sound kind of dumb.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm not one for cussing, though I've had a slip of the tongue a few times in the past. While I don't make a commotion about the average person cussing, I do have a thing about kids cussing. Kids have a way of ingraining into their minds things that they see, hear, etc. and it then becomes a part of them. IMO, a kid (under the care of parents) that cusses is an indication of poor parenting.

edited for clarification
This isn't necessarily true. In fact, it's more of the outside influences instead of the parents that really impact little kids. For instance, I started swearing when I was 10 and all of my friends at school did it and my parents never swore in front of me until I was...14 or 15? And it's usually just my mom as my dad doesn't swear at all. So...poor parenting? No, bad influences? Yes.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
It's just words.

How/When you use them is totally up to you, but should be considered before doing so. Also, it's how the people around you is gonna take it. Theres a lot of words but the meaning behind those words is up to the individual themself...Some see swear words as really bad thing, other just don't give a fuck.

I don't swear IRL as much as i do here, I don't swear around family and especially around the ladies. ;)

Children shouldn't be swearing, IMO. Well atleast to those much older than them.

When people are adults on the other hand, they can say what ever the fuck they want...

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
Like many have said, they are just word. You give them meaning. The good or the bad meaning depends of the user and listener.

For example, here in El Salvador there are words that mean a total diferent thing in other latin american countries. For example "Pendejo" would translate to something like "fucking asshole", but in Costa Rica, it means "you chicken" which it even isn't a true insult. There are more examples like this.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Words that have a negative connotation are bad words. Try calling your wife a Bitch or your boss an Asshole (to his face) and see what happens.

As far as cursing in general goes... I think that the prohibition on cursing in schools is preparation for the real world. You don't sound very professional if you swear frequently. Dropping the F-Bomb in an interview won't get you hired.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

edited for clarification
This isn't necessarily true. In fact, it's more of the outside influences instead of the parents that really impact little kids. For instance, I started swearing when I was 10 and all of my friends at school did it and my parents never swore in front of me until I was...14 or 15? And it's usually just my mom as my dad doesn't swear at all. So...poor parenting? No, bad influences? Yes.

I don't disagree with you about outside influences being greater, and the fact that your parents didn't swear in front of you until that age is, imo, not bad parenting at all. Swearing with your friends is one thing, as kids will be kids, and kids like to have fun. Kids swearing at anyone for no real reason other than because they can is more of what I meant. Dunno if you swore at your parents prior to age 14-15, since you didn't mention it, but there is a difference between controlled swearing and uncontrolled swearing, with the latter being what I am far more concerned about. What I meant about bad parenting is allowing their kids to do what they want, even in front of them like they don't care.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't swear very often unless I'm extremely mad. On the subject of what I think of others using it I personally don't mind when people do, but there's a time and place for everything. There are many people who swear so much they don't know how not to when it comes time to not use it. My brother for one has lost a lot of jobs because he doesn't know how to control his swearing and it just flows out naturally. When you're with your friends or out in public I don't see a problem with it although others might. In a business atmosphere you need to learn to talk respectfully without swearing, unless you work in a job where no one cares.

Edit: Also my opinion on kids swearing is I don't really care. I've heard my daughter who is 11 swear a few times here and there, but I don't see it as a big deal. She doesn't do it at school or in public just around the house and it's not very often. As long as she knows when it's not OK to use that language it's fine with me.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
My dad has raised me so that, he lets me swear at home but I can't take it too far and not to swear at him (or anyone else unless needed) unless we're messing around. I will never agree if someone says children swearing is based on bad parenting, hell, 90% of the time the parent has no idea the kid swears at all. Oh and I hear 8 year olds swearing, it just spreads around,1 little kid swears because they heard a teenager say it, then the others pick it up. It's a bit like a cycle. I do say though when you have little kids swearing at you, it's quite disturbing.

I personally don't swear very often unless I'm extremely mad. On the subject of what I think of others using it I personally don't mind when people do, but there's a time and place for everything. There are many people who swear so much they don't know how not to when it comes time to not use it. My brother for one has lost a lot of jobs because he doesn't know how to control his swearing and it just flows out naturally. When you're with your friends or out in public I don't see a problem with it although others might. In a business atmosphere you need to learn to talk respectfully without swearing, unless you work in a job where no one cares.

Edit: Also my opinion on kids swearing is I don't really care. I've heard my daughter who is 11 swear a few times here and there, but I don't see it as a big deal. She doesn't do it at school or in public just around the house and it's not very often. As long as she knows when it's not OK to use that language it's fine with me.
How do you know she doesn't swear at school? I don't mean to sound disrespectful but even though she is your daughter, if she tells you she doesn't swear at school, I'd highly doubt it. It's like I said, 1 kid picks it up, (Daughter) and spreads it to the other kids, then they all know it, but don't know when to use it.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My dad has raised me so that, he lets me swear at home but I can't take it too far and not to swear at him (or anyone else unless needed) unless we're messing around. I will never agree if someone says children swearing is based on bad parenting, hell, 90% of the time the parent has no idea the kid swears at all. Oh and I hear 8 year olds swearing, it just spreads around,1 little kid swears because they heard a teenager say it, then the others pick it up. It's a bit like a cycle. I do say though when you have little kids swearing at you, it's quite disturbing.

How do you know she doesn't swear at school? I don't mean to sound disrespectful but even though she is your daughter, if she tells you she doesn't swear at school, I'd highly doubt it. It's like I said, 1 kid picks it up, (Daughter) and spreads it to the other kids, then they all know it, but don't know when to use it.
Well she goes to private school I would never hear the end of it if any faculty at the school overheard her.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I try to refrain from swearing (I even try using alternatives when I'm about to swear in my mind/to myself... It's weird, but I guess it's a morality problem). I do tend to swear over the Internet, but it's usually done so jokingly and not to insult anybody.

In all of honesty, I can be tolerant over words like sh*t or idiot (especially if they're used in a joking/non-insulting manner), but there's really no reason for anybody to say "Son of a b*tch" or "r*tard" or "f*uck you" to anybody else. Really, what's the point of using them? The only excuse reason I can think of is to "get the point across." Surely, it does get the point across, but there are better ways to "get the point across" without using those disgusting expressions.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse