What games do you think are overrated?

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like I'm going to get flak for this opinion but here it goes..

The Last of Us. I remember playing it years back on PS4 and just being bored, I put it down and haven't played it since. Of course, I'm not gonna say that you're an idiot if you like it, but I just don't see what the hype is all about.

Also, Naughty Dog milks it way too much.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Anything by Naughty Dog, really.

The main Final Fantasy series. Not terrible, but nothing special to me.

Reactions: CoolMe

MochaMods

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
This whole thread is flak bait but I'll add my two cents in too,

every Bioshock past the first one, I really think that the first one is a classic, but I couldn't tell you a single plot point of any of its subsequent releases. Maybe its just due to the amount of time that's past. But I do believe the games got stale.

Reactions: BigOnYa

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This whole thread is flak bait but I'll add my two cents in too,

every Bioshock past the first one, I really think that the first one is a classic, but I couldn't tell you a single plot point of any of its subsequent releases. Maybe its just due to the amount of time that's past. But I do believe the games got stale.
Sorry if I made it look like that, wasn't my intention.

Also valid opinion, I've played a decent amount of the first game but I haven't played much of 2 or Infinite.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hmm.. Definitely not the Crash Trilogy & Jak Trilogy. :angry:
Sorry, I got them confused with that other dev team.

Anyway, the last Jak game came out 20 years ago. Let's see their recent work:

2013 The Last of Us
2014 The Last of Us: Left Behind
2014 The Last of Us Remastered
2020 The Last of Us Part II
2022 The Last of Us Part I
2024 The Last of Us Part II Remastered
TBA Untitled The Last of Us game

:angry:

Reactions: boot3 and x65943

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Anyway, the last Jak game came out 20 years ago.
Yep! :cry:
2013 The Last of Us

You're not wrong about TLOU series, WAY overrated..

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

2013 The Last of Us

I'm not exactly following closely what this dev do, but you mean they only worked on the Last of Us franchise in the last decade? Looks like GTA is not the only franchise being stalled.

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

2013 The Last of Us

To be fair, there were two Uncharted games released between TLOU Remastered and TLOU 2, but yeah.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Zelda Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom are vastly overrated. They're hoarding simulators designed to make you do the same chores over and over. And TotK added content in such a lazy way : mirrored underworld, copy&paste sky islands, I really don't get how this could fly. Any game not named Zelda would have been panned for that.

Super Mario Wonder is overrated. As has become the trend from Nintendo these last few years, this game is lazy but hides it with a shiny coat of paint, and it works. Super lame copy&paste bosses, the same old tired world themes, super bland new characters, a good chunk of the levels last less than a minute... But oooh it's so kewl there's all these flashy colors when you touch a wonder seed !

Writing in general is very overrated in video games. For example, reading a Zelda or Final Fantasy plot is so deep and great makes me laugh. And it has become more and more overrated because games get more and more serious about their storytelling and think being verbose is being deep. One textbook example about how verbosity can hurt a story is Final Fantasy Adventure and Sword Of Mana. Final Fantasy Adventure was very vague about many details and that was for the better, because it was an invitation to use your imagination, it made the world all the more intriguing. Comes Sword of Mana, where the story is ruined by a ton of added whiny blabber that uses all the most tired anime clichés imaginable.

Voice acting is also so overrated (and overused) in video games. Now I always mute voices whenever possible because I can't deal with the constant blabber. I miss the days when we weren't constantly subjected to yells and grunts or whiny tirades while playing. I also can't stand this trend in open world games where the main characters always has to open its mouth to spout useless platitudes, or state the obvious ("this *insert collectible* will be useful !" wow thanks for the interesting insight). And they repeat that blabber over and over, it's so irksome because it makes me feel like I'm being treated like I'm mentally-impaired. When it comes to voice acting, less is definitely better, I'm from the team who thinks Dragon Quest XI is much better without voice acting and who is glad Link is still silent.

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zelda Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom are vastly overrated. They're hoarding simulators designed to make you do the same chores over and over. And TotK added content in such a lazy way : mirrored underworld, copy&paste sky islands, I really don't get how this could fly. Any game not named Zelda would have been panned for that.

Super Mario Wonder is overrated. As has become the trend from Nintendo these last few years, this game is lazy but hides it with a shiny coat of paint, and it works. Super lame copy&paste bosses, the same old tired world themes, super bland new characters, a good chunk of the levels last less than a minute... But oooh it's so kewl there's all these flashy colors when you touch a wonder seed !

Writing in general is very overrated in video games. For example, reading a Zelda or Final Fantasy plot is so deep and great makes me laugh. And it has become more and more overrated because games get more and more serious about their storytelling and think being verbose is being deep. One textbook example about how verbosity can hurt a story is Final Fantasy Adventure and Sword Of Mana. Final Fantasy Adventure was very vague about many details and that was for the better, because it was an invitation to use your imagination, it made the world all the more intriguing. Comes Sword of Mana, where the story is ruined by a ton of added whiny blabber that uses all the most tired anime clichés imaginable.

Voice acting is also so overrated (and overused) in video games. Now I always mute voices whenever possible because I can't deal with the constant blabber. I miss the days when we weren't constantly subjected to yells and grunts or whiny tirades while playing. I also can't stand this trend in open world games where the main characters always has to open its mouth to spout useless platitudes, or state the obvious ("this *insert collectible* will be useful !" wow thanks for the interesting insight). And they repeat that blabber over and over, it's so irksome because it makes me feel like I'm being treated like I'm mentally-impaired. When it comes to voice acting, less is definitely better, I'm from the team who thinks Dragon Quest XI is much better without voice acting and who is glad Link is still silent.
I like BotW and TotK and I loved Mario Wonder, but I can definitely see your points about writing/voice acting.

Reactions: Ligeia

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I like BotW and TotK and I loved Mario Wonder, but I can definitely see your points about writing/voice acting.
Antoher great example about how verbosity can kill a game is Metroid Other M... Samus was much better off being mostly silent :rofl2:

Reactions: boot3

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
RPG's in general and whatever bullshit kids these days plays like Meinkampf, Forkknife, Pokemon, Zelda Breath and Tears, "NEW" Super Mario Bros, MADDEN, FIFA...

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
This is exactly what I hate about Tears of the Kingdom. The game's moments of brilliance are spaced out between dozens of hours of repetitive tasks. And the quantity over quality approach to the world.
The boss battles are the game's lowest point but it's still a great game overall. I just wish it gave some kind of reward or recognition to those who use the challenging badges or play without badges.

Reactions: Ligeia

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The boss battles are the game's lowest point but it's still a great game overall. I just wish it gave some kind of reward or recognition to those who use the challenging badges or play without badges.
Yeah it's a fine game. But it's definitely not the timeless masterpiece many seem to believe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto