What games do you think are overrated?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would say I'm kind of tired of all "pixel" games. I know it's easier for a solo dev to do but don't give me a smashing detailed character in menus and cutscenes and then looks like I put everything on low settings while game play.

Take for example "One step from eden" It looks great even in pixel art, but I couldn't help to want a proper "non-pixeled" characters.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would say I'm kind of tired of all "pixel" games. I know it's easier for a solo dev to do but don't give me a smashing detailed character in menus and cutscenes and then looks like I put everything on low settings while game play.

Take for example "One step from eden" It looks great even in pixel art, but I couldn't help to want a proper "non-pixeled" characters.
Yeah the 2d & 3d aesthetics blend is often a disaster and I really don't get the appeal. The different artstyles clash immensely and it all ends up looking very amateurish as a result. Games like Triangle Strategy or Star Ocean Second Story R are ruined because of this artstyle mess

Last edited by Ligeia,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the 2d & 3d aesthetics blend is often a disaster and I really don't get the appeal. The different artsyles clash immensely and it all ends up looking very amateurish as a result. Games like Triangle Strategy or Star Ocean Second Story R are ruined because of this artstyle mess
Do you think that holds true for something like Gen 5 Pokémon too? That uses sprites in 3D environments, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale. I do think it all comes together to be one of the best looking games in the series though.

Could just be a matter of preference, but I’m curious if there’s a delicate line that can be walked that does work for the majority.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you think that holds true for something like Gen 5 Pokémon too? That uses sprites in 3D environments, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale. I do think it all comes together to be one of the best looking games in the series though.

Could just be a matter of preference, but I’m curious if there’s a delicate line that can be walked that does work for the majority.
I never play Pokemon games so I'm afraid I don't have an opinion about this... Maybe you can point me to screenshots or videos so I can take a quick look ?

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FPS games. Give me a good puzzle like Portal.
Speaking of which, Portal 2 is a great game but personally I like Portal 1 more.

I think the main thing I dislike about Portal 2 was how the humor was a lot less subtle than the first game. That's not to say the humor is bad, though. It's more so because of how these games are supposed to be taking place in the Half-Life universe, where there's not really a lot of laughs to be had.

This isn't necessarily an issue with Portal 1, but because of how Portal 2's humor is much more direct, it's a little bit jarring to me.

But of course I'm not saying that Portal 2 isn't funny (it definitely is) or that the series shouldn't have any humor period.

Reactions: SAIYAN48

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of time. It's basically a test demo for Majoras Mask. Boring.
Lol, that is a hot take

OoT was one of the first games to really take advantage of a true multi-level 3d landscape (after Mario 64) - it's hard to appreciate now because every game that came after it utilized what was learned from it

MM is obviously a masterpiece, but OoT has its own place as well

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Lol, that is a hot take

OoT was one of the first games to really take advantage of a true multi-level 3d landscape (after Mario 64) - it's hard to appreciate now because every game that came after it utilized what was learned from it

I honestly couldn't keep the patience to play a game that was developed around a goofy OoT sidequest. Give me a reason to keep trying.

Reactions: BigOnYa

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly couldn't keep the patience to play a game that was developed around a goofy OoT sidequest. Give me a reason to keep trying.
Referring to Majora's Mask?

It's a fun (but short) game even if you skip all the side quests

I do wonder what I would think of it if I played it for the first time now

MM was one of the first games where NPCs had scripted schedules and meaningfully interacted with each other - made the game feel more alive than anything else up to that point

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Referring to Majora's Mask?

It's a fun (but short) game even if you skip all the side quests

I do wonder what I would think of it if I played it for the first time now

MM was one of the first games where NPCs had scripted schedules and meaningfully interacted with each other - made the game feel more alive than anything else up to that point

I tried playing it a couple of times and I got distracted by other things I could be doing. Wasn't sure if it was just a matter of not giving it a chance. I play Zelda for its mostly linear structure (with sidequests). I never played Zelda for its sidequests, and that's what MM seems like to me.

Needless to say, BoTW and TotK were not made for me. (Though they were well made)

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: x65943

Nynrah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Definately Super Mario Wonder. Not to say I didn't have any fun with it, but I can't say it's the best 2D Mario game ever and compare it to Super Mario World. My main gripe is that there are too few levels if you compare it to the previous games; they just replaced what should have been actual levels with these badge challenges. And then there's the levels themselves, which feel shorter than ever.

The Wonder Flower mechanic is a nice idea, but I feel it screams underutilized potential more than anything else. There's hardly ever any incentive to play a stage with AND without the Wonder Flower. Usually you can just activate it without missing anything in that stage. The impact is just too limited.

Reactions: Ligeia
Trophies
XP
I feel like I'm going to get flak for this opinion but here it goes..

The Last of Us. I remember playing it years back on PS4 and just being bored, I put it down and haven't played it since. Of course, I'm not gonna say that you're an idiot if you like it, but I just don't see what the hype is all about.

Also, Naughty Dog milks it way too much.
Wii Sports [to a degree].

Like, its fun to play sometimes with family or friends but it just gets boring after a while.

Also, Wii Sports Resort is fine, not going into that.

Reactions: boot3 and BigOnYa

boot3

Internet trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii Sports [to a degree].

Like, its fun to play sometimes with family or friends but it just gets boring after a while.

Also, Wii Sports Resort is fine, not going into that.
Can definitely understand that, it's very much not the type of game to be played in one long marathon.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII, specifically the original on PS1, was very much a 'you had to be there' game - like Ocarina of Time mentioned further up, at the time of release it was groundbreaking!
...Judging by your age, you 'wasn't there' at that time. Hell, I don't think you'd have even been an itch in your dad's trousers.... but even so, while it's not aged particularly well, you have to realise the impact on the industry this game had ;)

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, that is a hot take

Still Ocarina of Time is boring, its too simplistic for its own good.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still Ocarina of Time is boring, its too simplistic for its own good.
Easy to say that 30ish years on, at the time it was revolutionary and a joy

It earned its near perfect reviews, of course everything that came after learned from it and improved on it

It's like saying the epic of Gilgamesh is overrated - misses the point totally

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy to say that 30ish years on, at the time it was revolutionary and a joy

It earned its near perfect reviews, of course everything that came after learned from it and improved on it

It's like saying the epic of Gilgamesh is overrated - misses the point totally
Easy to say because I don't find the game that interesting. Yes Ocarina of Time set the standard for adventure games like Super Mario 64 set the standard for 3D platformers but I can say Super Mario 64 is better than Ocarina of Time because of substance over spectacle (spectacle as it is very cinematic). The only reason people say Ocarina of Time is a great game because its simple (its easier than the previous Zelda games) just a rehash of Link to a Past.

• Haha
Reactions: Ligeia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto