Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Is there a way to force this to use a specific save type for a ROM?

I found that its autodetector falsely believes Tomato Adventure's English fan translation uses save type 0, when it's actually 2, 3. I can fix this by creating an INI file for the ROM and setting saveOverride to true, but that's a somewhat inelegant solution, since it requires me to pick the correct save type each time I launch the game. defaultSave doesn't seem to have any effect. IIUC, it only works when the autodetector fails completely, rather than making the wrong call.

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the latest build, I'm not able to get 1:1 original resolution. I'm setting 'Scaler = 0' in the config.ini file but it still takes up the whole screen. Other changes like brightness and save type work in the config.ini, just not the video scaler. Anyone else have this issue?

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Using the latest build, I'm not able to get 1:1 original resolution. I'm setting 'Scaler = 0' in the config.ini file but it still takes up the whole screen. Other changes like brightness and save type work in the config.ini, just not the video scaler. Anyone else have this issue?
The latest official release has a bug with reading that part of the INI file. Use the build from this post instead: https://gbatemp.net/threads/open_agb_firm-discussion-thread.570844/post-9709423

SpaceLion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How was the default output gamma value chosen exactly? I was looking around at other internet discussions on emulating an original gba screen, and it seems like the gamma is usually INCREASED to something like 4* rather than decreased. My (basic) understanding of gamma is that higher values will make dark things look darker, which is what I would naively think is necessary to emulate the non-backlit gba screen. So why 2.2->1.54? (And why change the output gamma instead of the input gamma?)

*("Game Boy Interface/Standard Edition" article on the GC Forever wiki--I would post the link but I'm too new)

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How was the default output gamma value chosen exactly? I was looking around at other internet discussions on emulating an original gba screen, and it seems like the gamma is usually INCREASED to something like 4* rather than decreased. My (basic) understanding of gamma is that higher values will make dark things look darker, which is what I would naively think is necessary to emulate the non-backlit gba screen. So why 2.2->1.54? (And why change the output gamma instead of the input gamma?)

*("Game Boy Interface/Standard Edition" article on the GC Forever wiki--I would post the link but I'm too new)
Change both gamma values to 2.0 and see how your 3DS screen looks without any kind of modifications, stock.

Which gamma value to choose depends heavily on the screen's type (TN or IPS) and how it was calibrated on the factory: surely profi200 tried to choose a value that could work okay on most screens.

According to what I've been told, it looks like there's more that needs to be changed than just gamma to simulate og GBA colors. So there's no good way to make it look more similar, though feel free to try and get as near as possible in your screen!

Reactions: SpaceLion

Mebius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since open_agb_firm only uses the arm7 processor, is it safe to say it saves power if compared to something like a VC inject, that runs from the home menu, or an emulator like mGBA?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It does use the other CPUs but they are almost always idle. Power usage should be lower than emulation. How much lower i don't know.

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest official release has a bug with reading that part of the INI file. Use the build from this post instead: https://gbatemp.net/threads/open_agb_firm-discussion-thread.570844/post-9709423
Bless you. With this and the Luma Quick-switcher build, this is the gameboy advance on 3ds I always wanted. Changing GBA brightness and resolution from the 3ds homescreen, launching from home, correct colors and save types. I transferred my EZ Flash collection over to play it on my New 3ds now.

Reactions: Nutez

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you install this on a modded 3DS?
Copy the open_agb_firm.firm file to your 3DS's SD card at /luma/payloads If you're using Luma3DS or elsewhere if you're using fastboot3DS.

Copy the 3ds folder to the root of your 3DS's SD card. Merge folders if asked.

Launch open_agb_firm using Luma3DS by holding START while booting your 3DS or assign it to a slot if you're using fastboot3DS.

After open_agb_firm launches, use the file browser to navigate to a .gba ROM to run.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Copy the open_agb_firm.firm file to your 3DS's SD card at /luma/payloads If you're using Luma3DS or elsewhere if you're using fastboot3DS.

Copy the 3ds folder to the root of your 3DS's SD card. Merge folders if asked.

Launch open_agb_firm using Luma3DS by holding START while booting your 3DS or assign it to a slot if you're using fastboot3DS.

After open_agb_firm launches, use the file browser to navigate to a .gba ROM to run.
Ok that worked thank you

I put all my gba roms in the root folder called GBA

ANd I put all my saves in: 3ds\open_agb_firm\saves

I launch my rom, and it can't reogonize my pre-existing save?

Also is there anyway to get this on 3DS Home screen?

Reactions: retrospect

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok that worked thank you

I put all my gba roms in the root folder called GBA

ANd I put all my saves in: 3ds\open_agb_firm\saves

I launch my rom, and it can't reogonize my pre-existing save?

Also is there anyway to get this on 3DS Home screen?
To boot from homemenu see the very first post on page 1. But this can only be done if you are using fastboot.

As for your saves I think they need to be hex edited or something but I don't really know why or how ect as I always just use a new save.

Lehnah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It just depends on what you want. Emulation may provide extra enhancements and functionality such as fast-forward and save states, while native playback guarantees full-speed and compatibility.
Ah ok. So it might depend on the game a little (at least from a personal perspective). Also, I forgot to ask, is there any benefit to this over injecting?

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Could someone please explain to this utter noob why this might be better than emulation?
Let's put it this way: imagine you have a real GBA inside your 3DS, I repeat, a REAL GBA inside your 3DS. And you can use it via VC injects or OPEN_AGB_FIRM.

That's the truth, you have a GBA inside all 3DSes consoles and can play games with it. Though, you also have a real DSi inside 3DSes too.

So you can emulate GBA games via your 3DS, use a GBA hypervisor for DSi, or play your games natively in GBA mode. Choose any option depending on your needs.

Lehnah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's put it this way: imagine you have a real GBA inside your 3DS, I repeat, a REAL GBA inside your 3DS. And you can use it via VC injects or OPEN_AGB_FIRM.

That's the truth, you have a GBA inside all 3DSes consoles and can play games with it. Though, you also have a real DSi inside 3DSes too.

So you can emulate GBA games via your 3DS, use a GBA hypervisor for DSi, or play your games natively in GBA mode. Choose any option depending on your needs.
Thank you SO much. That was the clearest explanation I've read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E