Suggestion One word post auto-remover

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been seeing a lot of one-word posts being manually removed, wouldn't it be useful to auto-remove them or not allow them to be posted in the first place?
Even though people are generally stupid, they are generally smart/annoying when it comes to getting around rules, e.g. /10char. Making it impossible to post only one word won't make people reflect on the content and quality of their post and suddenly make them want to comment with something thought provoking. They'll just start adding an extra word. Then it becomes "No two word posts" then "No three word posts." You can see how that might snowball.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on what you define as a "one word" post.

apostlikethiswithoutspacesinbetweenthewordsisalsokindaonewordpost.

Anyway, best thing to do is just report and move on.
I mean a post without spaces is just as trash, you wouldn't really be losing anything of value.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for it. Especially for the edgy people that just reply "No." to a thread that has a question.

Can we also include posts that only have an image? (With an option to toggle that filter on certain forum boards. I remember seeing some kind of meme battle thread or something in the EoF.)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean a post without spaces is just as trash, you wouldn't really be losing anything of value.

So are one word posts.
Especially posts which just contain "no".

No cause what?
Nobody is learning anything that way.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There are rare cases where one word posts are fine. Asking for help, receiving help, and ending with a "Thanks!" for example.

"Thank You!" wouldn't change the gist of the post, yet that would be "allowed" because it's not one word? Nah.

Just use common sense, that's what it mostly boils down to.
Most of the one word posts that are removed are: "Wat", "lol", "huh", "ok", "no" and so on.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one word posts arent always an issue, and therefore should'nt be auto removed since that would remove valid one word posts. IE: comment: "hey, (insert name here) can i ask you a question" reply: "shoot". in that case, there's a reason not to auto remove the post, since then the question asker would assume the one they were asking simply ignored them. Could the guy have used more words in their reply? sure, but that doesnt make their post less valid. If someone sees a pointless one word comment that adds nothing and has no reason to be there, report it and leave it at that, or just leave it be and let it get removed on its own if the mods dont like it.

Last edited by samcambolt270,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination