What's up with the anti-adblock popup

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Let's be honest - GBATemp ads didn't really work much for me on my tablet. All that was always displayed for me was a blank rectangle between random stuff with the provider's logo.

So I've resorted to using an adblocking DNS. No, I cannot whitelist websites unlike with a traditional PC adblocker, no, it isn't specifically for GBATemp - it's because Google has suddenly decided that I need testosterone pills and won't shut up about them on other websites.

So please, stop showing me the banner. You still won't get anything from me if I disable the DNS, or do the blank rectangles count towards ad impressions?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is a matter of time until somebody mentions in the style of this figure :teach: "Ads are based on your browsing history so your own fault." (clear your history)
With that useless piece of information (which isn't even able to explain every ad-related problem on the internet) out of the way: I fail at even seeing any anti-adblock with DNS blocking (Pi Hole). Please provide a screenshot. I would be interested in seeing this.

Besides: You can get rid of the ads problem by paying with money instead of data/time/CPU resources.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBAtemp has ads?
Of course. Although, many of us avoid them either through ad block or paying moneys.

When I am logged out, I have noticed the anti-ad-block message can be pretty annoying on mobile because the bypass is too small at times

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's be honest - GBATemp ads didn't really work much for me on my tablet. All that was always displayed for me was a blank rectangle between random stuff with the provider's logo.

So I've resorted to using an adblocking DNS. No, I cannot whitelist websites unlike with a traditional PC adblocker, no, it isn't specifically for GBATemp - it's because Google has suddenly decided that I need testosterone pills and won't shut up about them on other websites.

So please, stop showing me the banner. You still won't get anything from me if I disable the DNS, or do the blank rectangles count towards ad impressions?
Just use UBlock Origin and AdGuard. Done, no complaints. :D

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never use two since they can cancel each other out. Just use Ublock Origin with Adguard filters if so (they are in the settings) But he is on a tablet so it might not be possible to install other browsers.
I've been using the two for years and haven't had any problems since.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
How so? Explain your reasoning.
Adblocker 1 blocks, gets detected by a filter while adblocker 2 blocks the same and also then gets detected because of Adblocker 1 (How Youtube detects for example). Adblock Plus caused lot of weird issues because of it getting detected by Youtube while people ran two adblockers for some stupid reason.

Just use UBO, the rest are trash tier and just made to earn money.

Reactions: shaunj66

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Adblocker 1 blocks, gets detected by a filter while adblocker 2 blocks the same and also then gets detected because of Adblocker 1 (How Youtube detects for example). Adblock Plus caused lot of weird issues because of it getting detected by Youtube while people ran two adblockers for some stupid reason.

Just use UBO, the rest are trash tier and just made to earn money.

This is the reason why adblockers don't get detected often. They seem to get better regulatory updates and find ways to bypass anti-adblock measures entirely.
Im using Ublock Origin and AdBlock Plus seem to work fine for me, me see no ads.

Reactions: Hayato213

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you also run two anti-viruses?
All you need to know is be careful when running applications, use an online antivirus like Hybrid Analysis or VirusTotal.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well back to the topic on hand. It's obvious our adnetwork detects whatever thing he uses.
Simply get a better adblocker if you don't wish to support gbatemp or buy an ad-free experience.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This thread went pretty much off-topic.

Again: Still waiting for a screenshot to even see the problem. Simple DNS blocking seems to not trigger any anti-adblock for me on GBAtemp.

Reactions: shaunj66

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

Again: Still waiting for a screenshot to even see the problem. Simple DNS blocking seems to not trigger any anti-adblock for me on GBAtemp.
I would say depends on how good their dns blocker is. It's probably one of those public free once that are a hit and miss.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

I'm going to screenshot and post it when it pops up again.
Post automatically merged:

Also, how the fuck do you post on this forum without being shat on? Already a lot of dislikes.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm going to screenshot and post it when it pops up again.
Post automatically merged:

Also, how the fuck do you post on this forum without being shat on? Already a lot of dislikes.
Well you do act like an entitled most of the time and people tend to not like people like that.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated