New reaction emoticons, for dropdown on posts

eternal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol the "has this already been suggested?" auto dropdown is slick. But I'm still going to assume this hasnt been talked about yet.

Is there ever going to be an extra option for just showing your emoticon on posts within a thread? The default:
1707952631634.png

Does not seem like enough. Like some people, I want to show I'm sad(with that tear), on this/that, or some I just want to do something else, or I'm not sure what to do based on what is available lol.

This is for all the lurkers out there lol. And while I know engagement is the name of the game, we could also lock extra emoticons behind being registered and/or having more posts.
This came to my attention when i saw specific posts today, and I didnt know how to respond, but I did want specific folks to know my immediate thought. Thoughts?

edit: btw I guess I should add, my main emoticon would be the smiley face blowing out the party blower thing I always do. 😏🤫

Last edited by eternal,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum, then, because I mostly only tend to use the Like emote.

If my memory serves right, the possibility of adding more emotes has been discussed before, but turned down as it could be a slippery slope: ‘If we're adding more emoticons, why not just allow any emoji?’ and the like. And implementing that could be a lot of work, since different reactions give different reaction scores (IIRC Sad and Angry give no points, while the others add one) – keeping all of that up to date would be a huge undertaking.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Wow
Reactions: eternal

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Lol the "has this already been suggested?" auto dropdown is slick. But I'm still going to assume this hasnt been talked about yet.

Is there ever going to be an extra option for just showing your emoticon on posts within a thread? The default: View attachment 420108

Does not seem like enough. Like some people, I want to show I'm sad(with that tear), on this/that, or some I just want to do something else, or I'm not sure what to do based on what is available lol.

This is for all the lurkers out there lol. And while I know engagement is the name of the game, we could also lock extra emoticons behind being registered and/or having more posts.
This came to my attention when i saw specific posts today, and I didnt know how to respond, but I did want specific folks to know my immediate thought. Thoughts?

edit: btw I guess I should add, my main emoticon would be the smiley face blowing out the party blower thing I always do. 😏🤫
We need and has been asking for the Puke reaction for months.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That was 2-3 years ago. Always good to ask the admins again.
Hey if possible, maybe have an art contest for more emojis?

@Costello @shaunj66 what do you guys say? :)
I'm surely not against bringing in suggestions. Just mentioned it: "Similar Threads" didn't show anything related, but it exists

The argument from the old thread is still valid. If you add two more, there will be demand for another two more...

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We need and has been asking for the Puke reaction for months.
If they were to add the puke emoji, then it will come off as quite rude when using it, depending on the context.

Last edited by SylverReZ,
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: eternal and impeeza

eternal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they were to add the puke emoji, then it will come off as really offensive if you use it on someone's post.
This is one of those where, I feel like the puke could be maybe changed to the nauseated face, to show some discomfort. The puke face is usually 90%(of) you know what they mean, but nauseated is discomfort too (probably), and more obviously lol.

As far as people being offended... as long as they arent saying anything super negative in a post(with real words), I think emotions in the form of emoticons should be allowed(with more flavors/styles of them still!). Ive seen some foul stuff here(in gbatemp) over the years between all types of topics... with them(the offenders imho), they maybe having gone on too long or didnt get the light of day after the mods caught the whiff*.
Regardless, I think some(more!) emoticons should be allowed and I can even help out if need be with my bad M$(Microsoft) paint skills to make more!/or we can hold an art contest like was mentioned before. There's also allowing the already in forum emotes, that maybe should be added too. They are very expressive. :evil:

Once again, I personally have always valued emoticons in text especially in these trying times.
Because at least you know where those people stand on specific topics(even if briefly), and maybe they wouldnt make themselves look so bad by typing something on the internet that stays there forever even after they delete it. :toot:

Last edited by eternal,
  • Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as they arent saying anything super negative in a post(with real words), I think emotions in the form of emoticons should be allowed(with more flavors/styles of them still!). Ive seen some foul stuff here(in gbatemp) over the years between all types of topics... with them(the offenders imho), they maybe having gone on too long or didnt get the light of day after the mods caught the whiff*.
Regardless, I think some(more!) emoticons should be allowed and I can even help out if need be with my bad M$(Microsoft) paint skills to make more!/or we can hold an art contest like was mentioned before. There's also allowing the already in forum emotes, that maybe should be added too. They are very expressive. :evil:

Once again, I personally have always valued emoticons in text especially in these trying times.
Because at least you know where those people stand on specific topics(even if briefly), and maybe they wouldnt make themselves look so bad by typing something on the internet that stays there forever even after they delete it. :toot:
You've got a great point there, I didn't think of this.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
This is one of those where, I feel like the puke could be maybe changed to the nauseated face, to show some discomfort. The puke face is usually 90%(of) you know what they mean, but nauseated is discomfort too (probably), and more obviously lol.

As far as people being offended... as long as they arent saying anything super negative in a post(with real words), I think emotions in the form of emoticons should be allowed(with more flavors/styles of them still!). Ive seen some foul stuff here(in gbatemp) over the years between all types of topics... with them(the offenders imho), they maybe having gone on too long or didnt get the light of day after the mods caught the whiff*.

Sticks and stones may break my bones
But always will be something to offend a snowflake. :ha:

• Haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto