Suggestion Bionic reading implementation

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
https://bionic-reading.com/ (Embed video in this site does a good job of explaining this concept)

Bionic reading uses bold and/or italics in the beginning of words to significantly increase readability for those with ADHD, dyslexia etc.
There's a google chrome extension I've been using lately but when enabled it forces the webpage to render in reading mode, which from my experience entirely breaks GBAtemp. It would be neat to see this implemented natively as an accessibility option ^_^

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
While I don't use extensions like the one you mentioned, this sounds reasonably easy to solve with a script (and therefore a bit unnecessary to implement on a site-level). I'm not sure why your extension forces reading mode onto the site – simply forcing any word-starting character to be bold would be plenty. Maybe try looking for a different extension that does the same thing?

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://bionic-reading.com/ (Embed video in this site does a good job of explaining this concept)

Bionic reading uses bold and/or italics in the beginning of words to significantly increase readability for those with ADHD, dyslexia etc.
There's a google chrome extension I've been using lately but when enabled it forces the webpage to render in reading mode, which from my experience entirely breaks GBAtemp. It would be neat to see this implemented natively as an accessibility option ^_^
Respectfully how does changing font help with ADHD? I feel like that’s a bit of a snake oil…like how the secret to not being depressed is to just “be happy “

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Respectfully how does changing font help with ADHD? I feel like that’s a bit of a snake oil…like how the secret to not being depressed is to just “be happy “
It doesn't help with ADHD – it helps with reading. I'm familiar with the concept and felt its effects. Basically, emphasising the first syllable of a word triggers your brain's ‘auto-complete’ so that you can recognise the word faster and know what it is without reading the full word, making reading faster.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can even use it as a bookmarklet without needing to install any extensions and it works great on GBAtemp through my testing. There is no need to add this function to the site itself.
I wouldn't trust using a browser fueled with spyware like Chrome. Not certain if there are other ways to implement this, such as Tampermonkey, which supports if not all commonly used browsers.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't trust using a browser fueled with spyware like Chrome. Not certain if there are other ways to implement this, such as Tampermonkey, which supports if not all commonly used browsers.
The bookmarklet should work on any browser as long as Javascript is enabled. The extension is not required.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist