NXMP Nintendo Switch Media Player

nxmp-banner.jpg

NXMP is an open-source Nintendo Switch media player based on MPV and FFMPEG, supporting a wide range of media file formats and codecs.
NXMP is coded by @proconsule54 and @darkxex

It support HTTP,FTP,SFTP,Samba,NFS streaming and it also support Enigma2 decoders. Starting from 0.7.0 Version it features HW Decoding for H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2 up to 4K HDR@30fps

NXMP it's on early versions and active dev state so expect any kind of bugs, anyways it's fully functional and tested before every release

Project repository|Stable Build
Stable: v0.9.0

Features:
  • HW Decoding (since v0.7.0) for (H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2)
  • Extense support of media file formats and codecs, including audio too as well​
  • Touch and controller support, control the MP as you want​
  • Video deinterlace support
  • Advanced image settings, configure the brightness and color options, change aspect ratio and rotate the screen​
  • Custom subtitles, you can configure options like color, text size and position to your preferences​
  • Full sound EQ, allow adjust the sound equalizer to your preferences, you can define presets too​
  • Chapters navigator with titles support​
  • Selector of Video/Audio/Subtitle tracks during play​
  • Playlist queue, allow to enque desired files on a playlist for non-stop play​
  • Resume play, you can continue your videos where you previusly stop it​
  • Watch status, watched videos are marked as green on file explorer​
  • Shadermania, you can apply any shader compatible with MPV to NXMP​

Media sources supported:
  • Nintendo Switch SD Card
  • USB drive attached to dock or Switch with USB C adapter (FAT, NTFS and EXT4, up to 32 drives)
  • HTTP/S files through network
  • FTP and SFTP files
  • Samba (SMB) files shared throught network
  • NFS
  • Enigma2 (allow to view TV channel from satellite decoders compatible with this protocol)

Screenshoots:

2021110300034400.jpg2021110300031500.jpg2021110300032100.jpg2021110300023000.jpg

Post here any kind of bug/suggestions.
Enjoy!

Thanks to libusbhsfs https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/libusbhsfs for USB drives support
Thanks to @averne for HW Decoding FFMpeg! and for many many hints
Thanks to @bodyXY for the banner and the icons!
Thanks to @Godorowski for player UI design and releated icons
Thanks to @Chocola for beta testing a player guide

Last edited by proconsule54,

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I am happy that v0.4.1 is stable, this is the good news.
Tha bad news is that you all have ti wait a bit longer for news releases because my unpatched erista had an accident (my little son) and i dont have a switch anymore…. I have to find a new one…

Wops! If you need some tests or something just say to me and I can test on my Switch.

Yes, seems very stable and didn't found any more bug B-), for now I continue improving the docs, if you need more help just say to me and I do my best.

Last edited by Chocola,
Reactions: proconsule54

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I have been enjoying your media player and I want to thank you for it. However, there are a few features that are missing that I would very much love to have in it if possible (for reference, most of these are features that are in Kodi) :

1- The ability to resume a video file when you have exited while it was playing. I never watch a full movie or PPV in one go, so I would really appreciate it saving where you stopped watching and having the option to resume from there, more so if it does that for all videos no matter how long you haven't watched them, not just for the last couple of videos you watched.

2- Related to 1, having the player mark the videos that you have watched and those that you are in the middle of watching, and tell you when you last watched them.

3-The option to sort by thumbnail instead of as a list.

4 and 5- The ability to connect to a database to provide information on the show you are watching, as well as the ability to connect to a subtitles database to provide subtitles in varying languages for said show (those 2 are from Movian).

6- Improved playback for 1080p, as a few of my 1080p videos either stutter and have the video lagging heavily behind the audio, or simply get stuck at "buffering video" in the start and not play at all.

I know these won't be easy to implement at all (especially now that you lost your switch, which is very unfortunate :(. My condolences for that) But I think adding them would help make this one of the best media players on all consoles, not just on switch, so I really hope you add them :).

Last edited by FFTW,

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'm not the dev, but the suggestions 1 and 2 need handle a database, as I know, the port of SQLite its comming, so this features need to wait for the database integration.

The suggestions 3,4 and 5 need the database implementation to with the plus of scrapping system or plugins, so it gona take some time.

These sugestions are similar to my suggestion to make a media library like plesk or kodi, I'm sure that they come to nxmp on the future, but need go step to step.

TotalJustice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw someone mention that m3u8 wasn’t working. Iirc it’s not enabled due to the build flags set for ffmpeg. Last I checked, even tls was disabled because it wasn’t built against mbedtls. Because of this, I just built mpv / ffmpeg myself rather than link against dpk builds.

Also, would you be interested in adding crunchyroll / funimation support? Their api’s are quite simple and I have it working in my (abandoned) media player. If you’re interested I can send you the code at some point. I really wanted a good crunchyroll player on the switch, and while mine works, I cba to continue it further haha

Attachments

• 2021110601493000-72C30CE71853B98C70CB3F22C85C3145.mp4
    8.5 MB
Last edited by TotalJustice,

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I saw someone mention that m3u8 wasn’t working. Iirc it’s not enabled due to the build flags set for ffmpeg. Last I checked, even tls was disabled because it wasn’t built against mbedtls. Because of this, I just built mpv / ffmpeg myself rather than link against dpk builds.

Also, would you be interested in adding crunchyroll / funimation support? Their api’s are quite simple and I have it working in my (abandoned) media player. If you’re interested I can send you the code at some point. I really wanted a good crunchyroll player on the switch, and while mine works, I cba to continue it further haha

Honestly I love to see the crunchyroll support on nxmp, atleast as optional nxmp plugin pls :bow:

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@FFTW nice suggestions, all requires db but i am working on it

@TotalJustice you are right, even if the ffmpeg i use is a custom build i missed to enable some build flags as you say. I will enable it in the next release, also crunchyroll is a good idea, i will look at it ad if i found problems on it i’ll let you know.

Thanks to all, i found out a switch from a friend of mine that is nearly full working, so tests can be done! And releases will comes!

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Devel update:
Back to the switch i built ffmpeg with mbedtls and i also updated libass to 1.5.2
Also updated mpv to last stable.
Working on the audio player gui, trying to make the damn SQLite working with the custom vfs i wrote(that make me crazy).
Since 0.4.1 was proven to be stable i want to bring a new version with lot of features added so you have to wait a bit more time than usual.

Thanks all for the suggestions, i will implement it

Reactions: hippy dave and FFTW

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
audio-preview.jpg
Working on audio player interface

Edit:
Consider that i am using mpv also for audio playback but i think it will soon be replaced by another library since in my opinion is stupid to use a bulldozer to move a small rock.

Last edited by proconsule54,
  • Love
Reactions: Chocola

Godorowski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
make an example image it will help me in the design

Keep it simple.

I don't really care about colors, etc.

Attached svg icons.
Font is Calibri.

If there is too much text in text placeholder then it should scroll from left to right within this box or whatever, no funny stuff like expanding or line breaking.

Press action on buttons can be just opacity change.

Attachments

• mockup-1.jpg
    mockup-1.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 69
  • mok2.png
    mok2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • SVG.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by Godorowski,

Godorowski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There is one more trick when You want to show album cover.

You need to put original cover in the middle but not in full size, and You put again the same cover as the background (cover) but with low opacity (max 15%). It looks ok and You dont need to fight with empty space.

Attached prevs.

Attachments

• Album1.jpg
    Album1.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Album_mkp.png
    Album_mkp.png
    621 KB · Views: 73

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Put the cover to left side, show title, author, album name, quality... on right side and you have the perfect UI for audio.

Just missed some controls, navigation between tracks, repeat mode (one, all, off)...

Godorowski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Put the cover to left side, show title, author, album name, quality... on right side and you have the perfect UI for audio.

Just missed some controls, navigation between tracks, repeat mode (one, all, off)...

I attached couple posts back icons for more future functions. Didint put those on mockup because I dont know what function is ready.

Text near cover is ok but for me while you play music cover act as decorator and keeping text same place as if in movie playback is just simpler to do.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nah. Just get a 3rd [3000 series] gen PSP.