SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
Have you looked at it? How do you know it isn't done from scratch?

-Erik

well, for one he said he hex edited and used tanooki. both those require a starting point. secondly, i highly doubt someone would have been able to make one completely from scratch. even if you open a level in tanooki, delete EVERYTHING and make a level "from scratch", parts of the original file are still there, so its still illegal.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
It's not actually made with Tanooki/hex editing; it's just a coverup. He used an extremely old and glitchy test version of Reggie which he stole off my server by guessing the URL (no, it's not there any more, so don't bother trying).

kyoko_sayuri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I downloaded and played the edited level, very cool! You made others (could post)? Well, I guess it does not hurt the rules of the forum, I hope.
(If you want to do a video showing the level)
50814871.png

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vibestar said:
So a company owns all the rights. The public is legal.....
Nice of the companies to brainwash us all. So I'm a criminal to you. Please if those justice fighters first pick up all the killer or rapists.
Sorry guys I don't want to waste my time on people pointing out a finger, those people I give tha finger.

Oh the word GBA stands for Game Boy Advance which is copyrighted by Nintendo. So far that I can see the homepage has some advert in it which makes this site profitable.
This way they make money with a name that is copyrighted which all of you are members to. Criminals
wink.gif

I have deleted my link.... Bye

coolstorybroso.png

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vibestar said:
So a company owns all the rights. The public is legal.....
Nice of the companies to brainwash us all. So I'm a criminal to you. Please if those justice fighters first pick up all the killer or rapists.
Sorry guys I don't want to waste my time on people pointing out a finger, those people I give tha finger.

Oh the word GBA stands for Game Boy Advance which is copyrighted by Nintendo. So far that I can see the homepage has some advert in it which makes this site profitable.
This way they make money with a name that is copyrighted which all of you are members to. Criminals
wink.gif

I have deleted my link.... Bye
You could always just post patch files. Like they do with SNES Super Mario World rom hacks/mods.
I kind of feel like you would have done that in the first place if you knew anything.

Though these kinds of mods are blatantly legal, since they're level data instead of game data.
But with distributing patches, its gibberish data until the user does the patching. Totally safe to distribute.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Levels ARE illegal to redistribute, as they still contain copyrighted Nintendo code. Considering he EDITED a level, he only replaced bits of it i.e. some of the original level remains. I don't think it'd be POSSIBLE to make one completely from scratch. Therefore it is illegal. If this is allowed, then you may as well start posting WADs and ISOs with one or two bytes changed; its basically the same idea.
Have you heard of assumption of "fair use" for educational or research purposes?

Have you seen any legal precedent in court to support your claims here, which are not supported by any specific legal statutes? This is a civil issue, not a criminal issue, do you understand the difference? Have you ever heard of the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty?'

This kind of thing is totally legal for all parties involved. Let's say by downloading you agree that you own a copy.

But yeah cool you're a lawyer dude. Thanks for the facts without any evidence.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
well seems this topic is about to be deleted, but its interesting to see someone make a whole level
sorry that your software was stolen Treeki, im sure you will produce a great product once your worked out all needed components

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
For those who are attempting to claim all sorts of psuedo-legal expertise in this area, I did some research and made a summary post, which you are welcome to refute with links to references for me to read. And I mean real references, of an academic quality, not "he said on this forum".

The post is here: POST

As to the distribution of .arc files, regardless of legality, it is completely up to the discretion of the gbatemp moderators as to what files they feel comfortable redistributing. Until such time as they notify us of their policy or remove the link, we can assume it is tacitly allowed.

As an aside, it is completely possible to create your own NSMB Wii levels from scratch.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
TempusC said:
As an aside, it is completely possible to create your own NSMB Wii levels from scratch.
Exactly - if you're really worried about legality, completely new levels should be fine.

Reggie! can create new levels without including any existing data from Nintendo - everything is custom made in the editor (except for formats, of course).

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
As to the distribution of .arc files, regardless of legality, it is completely up to the discretion of the gbatemp moderators as to what files they feel comfortable redistributing. Until such time as they notify us of their policy or remove the link, we can assume it is tacitly allowed.

Thank you. It's up to the publisher to decide what they want to publish in the end. Freedom of the press is the ability to make public or keep silent known information.

Of course, stuff like this only gets me more excited for Reggie! Sorry to see it happen, Treeki.

mooseknuckle2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treeki said:
It's not actually made with Tanooki/hex editing; it's just a coverup. He used an extremely old and glitchy test version of Reggie which he stole off my server by guessing the URL (no, it's not there any more, so don't bother trying).
if that's true, that's total bullsh*t. Why can't people wait to get the release that the author wants to put out? I'm sorry that your app was lifted without permission Treeki. It's people like this that frustrate devs and make them not want to pursue their projects (especially if the hijacked file gets leaked).
mad.gif

Vibestar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mooseknuckle2000 said:
Treeki said:
if that's true, that's total bullsh*t. Why can't people wait to get the release that the author wants to put out? I'm sorry that your app was lifted without permission Treeki. It's people like this that frustrate devs and make them not want to pursue their projects (especially if the hijacked file gets leaked).
mad.gif

They will never leak. This way Treeki also removed them from his server. I'm not proud of the "stealing"but it was just for the grabs.
I know a few things about projects like these because I have been into a lot of scenes. That is also why I stated this wasn't made with Reggie.

Only thing left to say is that I'm sorry uploading the level and I hope you can forgive me... it is almost Christmas
smile.gif

Vibestar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
Well, there was no clear rule about the posting of arc files
So lets just forget about this topic and never post arc files again
smile.gif

Yeah or never make a topic again or never make a thread again or never say a word again.
Whats wrong with you people. What do YOU call freedom? Doing everything somebody else tels you?
Wierd world we life in.... But let us just forget that way we learn!!!

Timmy5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vibestar said:
tj_cool said:
Well, there was no clear rule about the posting of arc files
So lets just forget about this topic and never post arc files again
smile.gif

Yeah or never make a topic again or never make a thread again or never say a word again.
Whats wrong with you people. What do YOU call freedom? Doing everything somebody else tels you?
Wierd world we life in.... But let us just forget that way we learn!!!

Vibe, Im all for freedom to do what you want, but still there has to be some order man, this place is a help desk, not a download service, This place will help you get to here to there, what you do there is on you own, but as long as your here, you can't do that.

kyoko_sayuri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
OK, let's not exaggerate ... I even liked the level that he did.
was cool!
PS.: I am not encouraging to do again. Just say not to overdo the trial, right?

DJRehab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm.....it CAN be made from scratch with Reggie (WHICH IS NOW RELEASED PUBLIC THANKS TREEKI!!!!!)

Click File > New Map

Therefore it is just a data file off one hundred percent custom composure....sure it loads with SMB Wii, but its not nintendo property if you start one from scratch...the characters loaded by the game and the code is nintendos but not the arc file!

can we post arcs now?
smile.gif

EDIT - SOOOO sorry for bumping this did not check the date *SIGH*

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DJRehab said:
Ummm.....it CAN be made from scratch with Reggie (WHICH IS NOW RELEASED PUBLIC THANKS TREEKI!!!!!)

Click File > New Map

Therefore it is just a data file off one hundred percent custom composure....sure it loads with SMB Wii, but its not nintendo property if you start one from scratch...the characters loaded by the game and the code is nintendos but not the arc file!

can we post arcs now?
smile.gif

EDIT - SOOOO sorry for bumping this did not check the date *SIGH*
You grabbed a rocket pak and rocketed it
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4