Homebrew Not64 Update

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Guys extrems doesnt like the wiiu gamepad let it be, we have to respect his decisions, its already good we get updates every now and then, hopefully it will reach the day where compatibility increases until close to 100% we can only hope.

Last edited by pedro702,

NewGabeOrder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated Not64 using Open Shop Channel, but PS2-to-Wii controller adapters still do not work with this emulator. Every time I launch the game with the PS2-to-Wii controller adapter, my Wii Remote and PS2 controller stop working entirely, and when I hit the reset button my controller appears to be rapidly flicking between Wii Remote and Classic Controller rapidly. Could you please correct this issue next release? The most common adapter is the Mayflash branded one.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
I updated Not64 using Open Shop Channel, but PS2-to-Wii controller adapters still do not work with this emulator. Every time I launch the game with the PS2-to-Wii controller adapter, my Wii Remote and PS2 controller stop working entirely, and when I hit the reset button my controller appears to be rapidly flicking between Wii Remote and Classic Controller rapidly. Could you please correct this issue next release? The most common adapter is the Mayflash branded one.
It's CAD$50 for me to buy one, so you'll have to pay if you want this resolved.

Reactions: SaulFabre and niuus

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have 2 Wii U's, so that's not a problem. The problem is the Wii U Wii Mode is garbage and shouldn't exist.
Hell no, wiiu wii vc injection mode for overclock n64/ps1 is great and needed.

heck wiiu is one of my all time favorite consoles having nes,snes,n64,Gc,wii,wiiu games on a single machine is a dream, i dont really care if its not perfect, having this level of legacy support is unheard imo, that alone makes the wiiu way way abode the wii in my book, its just a awesome little machine, and thanks to the wiiu i have both my wii,gc and n64 stored and save space under the tv :P

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I can agree with that. vWii severely gimped actual Wii U homebrew development.
lol without vwii we wouldnt have almost any wiiu homebrew... do recall the wiiu was a flop selling only 13.5 millions in the entire lifetime sales compared to wii 102 millions or now the switch 114+ millions.

what made wiiu homebrew gimped was wiiu sales...

• Haha
Reactions: niuus

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
lol without vwii we wouldnt have almost any wiiu homebrew... do recall the wiiu was a flot selling only 13.5 millions in the entire lifetime sales compared to wii 102 millions or now the switch 114+ millions.

what made wiiu homebrew gimped was wiiu sales...
If sales are the reason why a homebrew scene exist or not... How did the Psp/Vita and Sega Dreamcast got that big of a homebrew push? by that logic those scenes wouldn't even exist in the first place.
Post automatically merged:

You'll have to explain to me why it's great and needed, because I don't understand.
As someone who has both a Wii and a Wii U thats also something i've never understood myself. I see virtually no improvement between Not64 running on my Wii that i do if i run it overclocked on my Wii U. Not throwing shade at your work, not at all. The fact that it runs as great as this does on Base Wii is just amazing. But is the boost you get from running it on Wii U really that great? I just can't see it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You'll have to explain to me why it's great and needed, because I don't understand.
to play games that dont run in full speed on stock wii speeds?

how many ps1 or n64 games are basically crap when not overclocked? many specially ps1, barely any game runs at full speed but with overclock they all ran or at least almost all with very few exceptions.

you couldnt play many games on not64 or wiisxrx without wiiu speeds, or you want to suffer through 40-50 in 60 VI/s?

overclock is needed for many games for both emulators, ps1 more than n64 but n64 still needs it.
army men sarge heroes games gets massive fps drops depending on the scenes without overclock(and still gets abit but very minor)
destruction derby 64 is basicaly unplayable without overclock and cpu clock divider set to 1since it runs in the 40s
banjo tooie and conker get much much smoother.
duke nukem zero hour when enemies spawn is a nightmare without OC
i could go on and on, there is like 20+ games that do a massive benefict from being overclocked on wiiu vs the wii where i couldnt really play them with scratchy audio because they aplaya t around 0.8 speed.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If wii u had proper native emulators outside of retroarch it wouldn't be too big of a problem but i agree with pedro702, wii u mode alone is limited because of people not making emulators for wii u mode.

Reactions: CORE

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If sales are the reason why a homebrew scene exist or not... How did the Psp/Vita and Sega Dreamcast got that big of a homebrew push? by that logic those scenes wouldn't even exist in the first place.

As someone who has both a Wii and a Wii U thats also something i've never understood myself. I see virtually no improvement between Not64 running on my Wii that i do if i run it overclocked on my Wii U. Not throwing shade at your work, not at all. The fact that it runs as great as this does on Base Wii is just amazing. But is the boost you get from running it on Wii U really that great? I just can't see it.
sales are a huge boost to the scene, dreamcast was the last sega console that is why it has such support more legacy nostalgia than anything.

the vita has a strong scene because before the switch the vita was the most powerful handheld around so it had a large share of followers anda nich market since the 3ds was very weak in comparison,, also its very easy to develop for and even the vita and dreamcast sold more than the wiiu

no improvement? lol are you blind or just try the games that work fullspeed on wiiu.

try destruction derby on wii then try it on wiiu with overclock plus cpu clock set to 1... its night and day.
same for carmagedon 64,Bassmasters 2000,body harvest(even tough you cant pass bridges so its kinda unplayable),cruisn usa,duke nukem zero hour,fifa 98,fifa 64,fighting force 64,some madden games
and many other games.

of course if you are only playing the games that already run fullspeed on the wii you wont notice the difference....

Last edited by pedro702,
  • Haha
Reactions: niuus and CORE

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
sales are a huge boost to the scene, dreamcast was the last sega console that is why it has such support more legacy nostalgia than anything.

the vita has a strong scene because before the switch the vita was the most powerful handheld around so it had a large share of followers anda nich market since the 3ds was very weak in comparison,, also its very easy to develop for and even the vita and dreamcast sold more than the wiiu
At this point you're contradicting yourself. Also does it really matter which one of the 3 consoles sold the most since they're historically some of the worse selling consoles of their manufacturers? Dreamcast, PsVita and Wii U are equally considered to be the low of the low when it comes to sales but all 3 of them have solid homebrew scene. (Specially Wii U now with its recent resurgence)

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
you couldnt play many games on not64 or wiisxrx without wiiu speeds, or you want to suffer through 40-50 in 60 VI/s?

overclock is needed for many games for both emulators, ps1 more than n64 but n64 still needs it.
army men sarge heroes games gets massive fps drops depending on the scenes without overclock(and still gets abit but very minor)
destruction derby 64 is basicaly unplayable without overclock and cpu clock divider set to 1since it runs in the 40s
banjo tooie and conker get much much smoother.
duke nukem zero hour when enemies spawn is a nightmare without OC
i could go on and on, there is like 20+ games that do a massive benefict from being overclocked on wiiu vs the wii where i couldnt really play them with scratchy audio because they aplaya t around 0.8 speed.
I don't know where you pulled this data from, because it doesn't agree with my own.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
At this point you're contradicting yourself. Also does it really matter which one of the 3 consoles sold the most since they're historically some of the worse selling consoles of their manufacturers? Dreamcast, PsVita and Wii U are equally considered to be the low of the low when it comes to sales but all 3 of them have solid homebrew scene. (Specially Wii U now with its recent resurgence)
for sega i wouldnt say its the lowest lol besides the megadrive/genesis selling 30 millions all other sega consoles sold 9-10 millions only same as dreamcast so i dont count dreamcast as a failure at all its on the average value
Sega Master System 10-13
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive 30.75
Sega Game Gear 10.62
Sega Saturn 9.26
sega dreamcast 9.16

so yeah dreamcast performed the same as other 4 sega systems, the mega drive was the one that was off the charts so its really a failure? then all sega consoles are failures besides the mega drive lol.

Also the homebrew scene comes from sales /how easy is too hack the system, both the ps3/xbox360 did great and are great consoles but never got any decent homebrew scene, since to hack them you needed to chip them/spend money, the easiest a console is to hack the greater is the scene. imo, vita and dreamcast are very easy to hack same for wii,original xbox and so on.

no improvement? lol are you blind or just try the games that are already full speed on wii.

try destruction derby on wii then try it on wiiu with overclock plus cpu clock set to 1... its night and day.
same for carmagedon 64,Bassmasters 2000,body harvest(even tough you cant pass bridges so its kinda unplayable),cruisn usa,duke nukem zero hour,fifa 98,fifa 64,fighting force 64,some madden games and many other games.

of course if you are only playing the games that already run fullspeed on the wii you wont notice the difference because they wont get faster lol, but they can mitigate frame drops, even games like banjo tooie and conker and many more when speed drops on certain areas/scenes it wont drop with overclock.

I don't know where you pulled this data from, because it doesn't agree with my own.
data i oulled from testung the games myself, which game doesnt match your own data? i did this all by trying the game by myself and finding the best way to play them.

what game does it not match?

tryed just now on latest not64
army men sarge heroes regular speed the dL/s(frames) go from 16-25 constantly--- overclock with cpu clock divider to 1 28-40
army men sarge heroes 2 regular speed the dL/s(frames) go from 11-23 constantly--- overclock with cpu clock divider to 1 30-45( the second mission is basically all played at under 15 fps on regular clock speed most of the time even under 10fps)
cruisn usa regular vi speed keeps dropping between 0.9 and 1.0 a lot overclock almost always rock solid 30 fps
carmageddon 64 regular plays at 11-15 fps, without oc you can also set cpu clock divider to 1 and the game runs around 0.9-1.0 speed and around 19 fps still playable but better with OC plus cpu clock divider basically locked 20 dl/s and 1.0(yes this game runs at 20 frames on regular n64 :S)

see 4 examples and im only at letter C

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: CORE

tehtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the main reason would be the ability to play N64 games on the Wii U Gamepad. I believe SaulFabre added a pull request in an attempt to add Wii U Gamepad support here: https://github.com/extremscorner/not64/pull/4. Would be great if you could look into merging the code (if it works!). We have enough testers here to help out if you need some.

Second reason would be what pedro702 mentioned about playing N64 games with the Wii U's CPU speeds instead of the native Wii one.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
new Not64 version released
like the previous build this new build seems to be centered on speed/performance improvement? not sure if it changed anything compatibility wise

• Improved constant propagation.
  • Optimized load delay slots.
  • Optimized consecutive ULW/USW/ULD/USD instructions.
  • Optimized function argument passing.
  • Optimized memory operations with constant addresses.

https://github.com/extremscorner/not64/releases/tag/20221111

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice