Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply zizer. I'm kinda confused by all the different cios's.

The guide i followed says i should have all the cios i need but maybe its outdated. this is what is says:

"Cios- you have: These are what run all your backups. You have a few to choose from.
Hermes- cIOS202[57]-v5
Hermes- cIOS222[38]-v4, cIOS223[37-38]-v4, cIOS224[57]-v5.1
Wanikoko- cIOS247[base-37]-v21d2x4, cIOS248[base-56]v21d2x4, cIOS249[base-38]v21d2x4, cIOS250[base-57]v21d2x4
You have all the current cios needs, so if you have any issue and so and so says use this cios, you have it. You can set these on a per game basis in your loader.

CFG-USBLoader has been set to use cIOS248[base-56]v21d2x4, this should load just about everything for you. But if you have games that need other cios you can use those as well. You can set cios on a per-game basis in the loader if you wish to use others. Legacy app compatibility has been maintained with ios249[38]v21d2x4"

Are any of these the same as the you one you mentioned or is the cIOSX a new thing?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Bhoona said:
Thanks for the reply zizer. I'm kinda confused by all the different cios's.

The guide i followed says i should have all the cios i need but maybe its outdated. this is what is says:

"Cios- you have: These are what run all your backups. You have a few to choose from.
Hermes- cIOS202[57]-v5
Hermes- cIOS222[38]-v4, cIOS223[37-38]-v4, cIOS224[57]-v5.1
Wanikoko- cIOS247[base-37]-v21d2x4, cIOS248[base-56]v21d2x4, cIOS249[base-38]v21d2x4, cIOS250[base-57]v21d2x4
You have all the current cios needs, so if you have any issue and so and so says use this cios, you have it. You can set these on a per game basis in your loader.

CFG-USBLoader has been set to use cIOS248[base-56]v21d2x4, this should load just about everything for you. But if you have games that need other cios you can use those as well. You can set cios on a per-game basis in the loader if you wish to use others. Legacy app compatibility has been maintained with ios249[38]v21d2x4"

Are any of these the same as the you one you mentioned or is the cIOSX a new thing?
Your cIOS's and USB loader are fine. Select the game in Configurable USB Loader, press 1, scroll to the VIDEO option and change it to "System" by pressing right/left. Press 2 to save. If that doesn't work (it should though) post again.

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much it's working now. I tried the video option and it fixed it, although it was on system already i tried force "NTSC" and it worked.

Thanks again.

Myschi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Potentially incredibly stupid question:

I was wondering how to mod my Wii to play games off a USB drive. I've read the Complete Wii Modding thread, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go about it.

Also, how easy is it to completely fuck something up and brick your Wii? (along with how easy is the modding in general)

Thanks much, all. o/

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Myschi said:

I was wondering how to mod my Wii to play games off a USB drive. I've read the Complete Wii Modding thread, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go about it.

Also, how easy is it to completely fuck something up and brick your Wii? (along with how easy is the modding in general)

Thanks much, all. o/
Just use ModMii, it is stickied. It is by far the easiest way to mod your Wii.

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
Myschi said:

Thanks much, all. o/
look at the 'ModMii' thread. That program makes it as easy as it's ever going to be (just follow the wizard).

As for the risks... nowadays the dangers are negligible. As long as you follow the instructions in ModMii you should really be fine.

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i got my hard drive, a western digital elements. So after taking ages to get all the backups on it i just realised that i didn't format it in FAT, it is still in NTFS.

Now according to the configurable usb loader docs it supports NTFS. But what i want to know is if it's worth starting over now and getting FAT on it? Will i have any problems in the future from using NTFS?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Bhoona said:
So i got my hard drive, a western digital elements. So after taking ages to get all the backups on it i just realised that i didn't format it in FAT, it is still in NTFS.

Now according to the configurable usb loader docs it supports NTFS. But what i want to know is if it's worth starting over now and getting FAT on it? Will i have any problems in the future from using NTFS?
You won't be able to run any apps through the HBC off of a NTFS formatted HDD, only FAT/FAT32. You also can't use nand emulation apps like UNEEK either, but that is more advanced stuff that the average user will never use. I suggest you stick with NTFS unless you run into problems, and run all your apps off of a FAT32 SD card; if you don't have one just for the Wii, I recommend you buy this one because it is cheap, available at almost all places that sell video games, and has full homebrew compatibility. There isn't even a guarantee that your HDD would would work with the HBC if in FAT32, and an SD card will be faster.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to rip an average game to your HDD?

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That sounds fine then as long as it plays the games.

And I have an SD card, thanks anyway.

Ripping the games didn't work so I had to download them (couldn't find a few). The were in RAR format so they had to all extract and transfer. It drive wasn't slow or anything I'm just impatient.

Could it be NTFS that is stopping me ripping my games?

It says its going to install then just freezes at 0%.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Bhoona said:
That sounds fine then as long as it plays the games.

And I have an SD card, thanks anyway.

Ripping the games didn't work so I had to download them (couldn't find a few). The were in RAR format so they had to all extract and transfer. It drive wasn't slow or anything I'm just impatient.

Could it be NTFS that is stopping me ripping my games?

It says its going to install then just freezes at 0%.
Open up "SD:\usb-loader\config.txt" and copy and paste the following in a new line:
CODEntfs_write = 1

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea it refused to write at first and told me to do what you said. But now with "ntfs_write = 1" enabled it freezes. Froze at 0% with Mario kart (3 trys) and Lego star wars. I didn't try any other games but guess it will be same problem.

Still trying to fix it.

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Backing up from dvd is working with my USB flash drive which is formated in FAT. So I think I will have to assume NTFS is the problem.

whiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so I'm really new to this...
mellow.gif

I have a launch-day Wii, running system menu 4.3E. From what I've heard, Bannerbomb no longer works, but I have a copy of Super Smash Bros. (although some sites seem to say that doesn't work on PAL Wii's, some do, which is why I'm asking).

I've read through loads of online tutorials, but they're either out-of-date, or seem to conflict with others.

What's the best way of getting started with softmodding my Wii?

whiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, I followed the ModMii instructions and am now downloading the files. A few more questions...

1) It asked about downloading various standard channels (i.e. Photo, News, Weather and so on), which I said yes to. What is the need for them, since they come with the Wii - are they for booting from the SD card or something?

2) I'm assuming I can install BootMii as Boot2, but how does PriiLoader work? Does that install as well as BootMii, or is it a replacement?

3) Extra brick protection (also said yes to) lists a load of additional IOS's to install. What exactly do these do?

...I must sound like a right noob, asking all these questions.
blink.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
QUOTE said:
Right, I followed the ModMii instructions and am now downloading the files. A few more questions...

1) It asked about downloading various standard channels (i.e. Photo, News, Weather and so on), which I said yes to. What is the need for them, since they come with the Wii - are they for booting from the SD card or something?
If you haven't updating the Wii in ages it could come in handy to update your channels. Even if they're already up to date, it's no big deal reinstalling them so w/e

2) I'm assuming I can install BootMii as Boot2, but how does PriiLoader work? Does that install as well as BootMii, or is it a replacement?
Priiloader is installed in addition to BootMii

3) Extra brick protection (also said yes to) lists a load of additional IOS's to install. What exactly do these do?

It will install patched system menu IOSs to all the slots used by older system menu's, so if a noob starts downgrading they will survive their mistake whereas normally there would be a very high probability of bricking. It also installs a usb-loader forwarder channel, reasons behind that are explained in your guide, but basically it ensures u'll always have a backdoor if u somehow update and lose all your softmods and the game based exploits don't work any longer for whatever reason.

...I must sound like a right noob, asking all these questions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM