Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

YouKnowMySteez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I fully softmodded my Wii, things are great, but I'm on 3.3U.

Seems fine right? But it isn't..My little brother is gettin New Super Mario Bros. Wii for Christmas and will without a doubt put in the Wii right there Christmas morning, which would install the newest firmware if I'm not mistaken.

So what will happen? Will my Wii brick? Or will homebrew just get wiped clean and I'll have to do the whole softmod process over? Idon't mind softmodding the system over again, but I'm not about have my Wii get bricked.

Or what if I just got the system update myself right now by getting it through checking for one? Would that brick it, or just wipe off the homebrew?

If somebody could point in the direction of the safest way to get to 4.2 firmware and then remodding the wii, it would be much appreciated....And yes, I saw the stickied topic, but I figured I'd play it safe and ask anyways.

wuher69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
wuher69 said:
Alright, I have a 3.2U that I have been happy with for awhile. I want the SD card menu now though, so from what I understand the best menu for this is 4.1? Most of the guides I see here seem to be designed for Wiis that have never been hacked. Is there a guide for safely/easily updating one that has already been hacked?

As I said I am on 3.2U, running ciosrev14, did some sort of shop-update to make mm9 work, and have installed some IOS to make pokemon rumble work. Also- I don't know what Trucha means, but I am almost positive I did that when I originally hacked it

Here you go read this carefully before you decide.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I've used this myself without problem.

So in order to go from hacked 3.2 to 4.1, I have to update to 4.2 first? Is there no other way?

Also I did do some preloader hacks, like the one that skips the health/warning screen. Does this affect anything while updating?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
tbgtbg said:
Just to be clear, is it safe to connect a soft modded Wii to Nintendo's online? Or do they do things like MS and ban your system, mess it up, etc. Can they detect it at all?
As long as you don't cheat on games while going online, its safe

Okay, cool, I wasn't even planning on playing games while online, let alone cheating, just looking around the shop or whatever, so I should be good. Thanks.

JenkNZ

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Howdy.. I have 4.2 wii
So, i'm following the 'Any Wii mod guide' I got up to the 'Restoring the Trucha Bug' Step 1... instead of selecting 'downgrade IOS15' i selected something like 'IOS15' (not the downgrade option) i went back into Trucha Restore, and it doesnt give the downgrade option... i'm not touching anything further...

Does anyone know what i can do to carry on with the softmod in a safe manner, wii is currently working fine

mrtrw

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a question. Some games works perfectly, NSMBW, Silent Hill, Pikmin 2 etc. but on some games, Rabbids, Boom Blox Bash Party, Mario Kart, the wiimote freezes after a few minutes and doesn't respond to the wii. The wiimote still has the blue dot but the cursor on the screen doesn't move. Does someone know what might be wrong, I tried searching but couldn't turn up anything. I'm on 4.2E with cios rev 14 btw.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mrtrw said:
Hi, I have a question. Some games works perfectly, NSMBW, Silent Hill, Pikmin 2 etc. but on some games, Rabbids, Boom Blox Bash Party, Mario Kart, the wiimote freezes after a few minutes and doesn't respond to the wii. The wiimote still has the blue dot but the cursor on the screen doesn't move. Does someone know what might be wrong, I tried searching but couldn't turn up anything. I'm on 4.2E with cios rev 14 btw.
are you using a disk loader or a USB loader? if you are using discs, they might be scratched, same thing happened to me >.

Muffinbreath

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick question with fixing my out-of-region brick (only the system menu) - i have installed nus downloader to load the iso and system menu wads, but I am a little puzzled by what I see on my priiloader menu (i think it's priiloader, might be bootmii - sorry I am not an expert on this stuff =x). at the bottom it says i am running ios v70, which is correct. but it says I am running systemmenu v482 (this is the PAL system menu). I believe my Wii is USA...is this the conflict that is causing my system menu to opera error, with my systemmenu being the PAL version? I just want to make sure I should install the USA system menu/iso wad and not the PAL wads, as I am not 100% certain my Wii is USA.

tia for any help!

Bangaio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a friend of my brother brought the Wii, I already had New Super Mario Bros (US version, retail disc, not a copy), and it prompts to update to the last firmware. The Wii has chip, so I'm unsure if to update or not. Any way to circumvent the update? Preferably an easy, straightforward process as I don't want to go reading on homebrew when I don't even own a Wii (yet).
Thanks.

wiimanizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know this might sound a bit stupid...but since ive started the installation of hbc and the hacks through the use of 'twilight hack', do i need to reinstall the hacks and all that according to the newer methods? theres a bit too much going on here and there and im just kinda stuck in the middle of what to do now...also, my preloader stops loading for some reason even though i hold the reset button while powering on...and i get random problems here and there such as when i load my backups from neogamma pressing the B button, i get the "black screen of death" and always have to hit the A button as i want both methods to work, most wiiwares not working when transferred to the SD card menu, RB2 customs being "out of date" when installed from a RB1 disc with the solution of having to install ciosCORP with a cios something fix...blah

thinking to get my preloader back to work, i DLed an updated hacks.ini for fw 4.2U to replace my previous hacks.ini and tried reloading it just to find out, it still wont load...bummer, i need help
frown.gif

mrtrw

Trophies
XP
Country
baffle-boy said:
mrtrw said:
are you using a disk loader or a USB loader? if you are using discs, they might be scratched, same thing happened to me >.<

Yeah, thought it was that to but I tried the games with a different iso and through a USB loader with the same result...

DragonTheory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about system updates from new store bought disks? Will they ruin the hacks? If so, how can we prevent the disk from updating the system? Thanks.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DragonTheory said:
What about system updates from new store bought disks? Will they ruin the hacks? If so, how can we prevent the disk from updating the system? Thanks.
There are 2 ways to stop updates:

1) Install Preloader/Priiloader or startpatch and enable the "block disc updates" hack
2) Run the games through a backup launcher or geckoOs

DragonTheory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much tj_cool.

Maybe you can also help me with this. I am following the gbatemp.net guide (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901). I have successfully updated my Wii to 4.2u. But when I try to run the SD card on the Wii with the unzipped "modify.zip" the Wii freezes. Have no idea why. Please help. Thanks.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DragonTheory said:
Thanks so much tj_cool.

Maybe you can also help me with this. I am following the gbatemp.net guide (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901). I have successfully updated my Wii to 4.2u. But when I try to run the SD card on the Wii with the unzipped "modify.zip" the Wii freezes. Have no idea why. Please help. Thanks.
did you perhaps leave bannerbomb on the SD card?

If not, I think its best to make a backup of its contents and reformat it (and then ofc put the files back)

DragonTheory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again much tj_cool for your quick answer.

Per the gbatemp.net instructions, I deleted everything on the card and then unzipped the content of the modify.zip to the SD card. So "bannerbomb" is not on the card. Should I have not deleted everything off the SD card? I can delete everything again but how do you "reformat" an SD card? Will right-clicking and "Format" (XP SP3) be sufficient?

Thanks again.

P.S.
By the way, the Wii freezes right when I choose the SD card, presumably when it is reading the "boot.elf" file to ask to load it. So "bannerbomb" (or anything else) doesn't have a chance to load. Hope that helps.

sj44k

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also have some dumb questions.

I already had the hbc for some time with the twilight hack. Last week I followed one of those softmod guides which had me download a whole package of apps and I pretty much didnt had to do much more than press A a bunch of times. Anyway, all works fine.

However, some questions I had:

I dont think I installed bootmii or some other kind of backup app. Does this really matter? I dont intend to run experimental stuff on my wii. Pretty much only a USB loader and Mplayer and snesgx.

How important is it to have the lastest cIOS? I used signcheck to check mine and it says IOS249 v10. But I think the latest one is v15? Does it really matter which one you have? (and where does one get the newest?). I got a 3.3E wii. And are there other things that need to be kept up to date?

I dont know if this is hack related, probably not, but some games like DeadSpace NTSC had a lot of crashes and games like NMH ntsc wont even boot. Is this related to the hacking or to software used?

Also, I dont suppose it is possible to run GC backups from a usb drive?

zandert33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in trying to use Priiloader, but the info for the installer says to NOT have any modified IOSs. I have installed the Truncha patches, as well as other IOS updates to use Backuploader, I also MAY have done other stuff in the past that I can't remember (I've had my Wii hacked since 3.2 was the latest update).

Right now my Wii is on 4.2 (I've updated through safe update methods), is Priiloader going to kill my Wii? Is there any way to find out if it would be a problem before installing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok