Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey,

need some help about upgrading my wii.

I'm using a twilight hacked wii on 3.2EU (not downgraded or anything).. so I did my hacking a long time ago. Now I'm ready to update to the latest firmware (also hacked) so I can play the latest games.
However, I'm still a bit unsure how to go about that.

Should I update my firmware through nindendo's official firmware and THEN hack it using bannerbomb? Or update through other methdods (one I found in the guide here).

Also, I have a launch release wii (europe).. so I presume I MAY install bootmii as boot2, right? If that's the case. Do I need to install bootmii before the update or can I do it afterwards?

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
just install the new HBC and bootmii and make a backup then use dop-ios to update your IOS's and then your system menu of your choice if it's 4.0 or 4.1 make sure to install IOS60 and for 4.2 install IOS70 before you install the system menu

lavadude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a few general questions about softmodding my wii. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before.

- If my Wii has a modchip in it, would softmodding work? Would the two create conflicts with each other?
- Can softmodding be done regardless of which serial the wii has, the chip it has inside (I don't know if this is relevant for softmodding, but it is for which modchip to use), and the updated version of the wii's firmware (i.e. N's updates)?
- Once softmodded, would I be able to do official system updates from the Wii? If not, for games that need an update, would they have to have a patch added to them (i think i saw a program called Wii bricker blocker or something)?
- Can the softmod be reverted (i.e. can I change the Wii back to how it was before the softmod)?
- If the Wii gets bricked, is it the end of its life?
- Can I still play games online?
- Which type of mod is the least riskiest (I think I saw someone saying neogamma was a good one)?
- Would I have to constantly update the version of the softmod to keep my Wii's softmod hidden?

Thanks in advance!

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lavadude said:
Hi,

I have a few general questions about softmodding my wii. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before.

- If my Wii has a modchip in it, would softmodding work? Would the two create conflicts with each other?
just softmod. i'm hardmodded and done softmod as well; so far no problems.
- Can softmodding be done regardless of which serial the wii has, the chip it has inside (I don't know if this is relevant for softmodding, but it is for which modchip to use), and the updated version of the wii's firmware (i.e. N's updates)?
it has, LU64+ wii's...read here : http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha...de/4_2-and-lu64
- Once softmodded, would I be able to do official system updates from the Wii? If not, for games that need an update, would they have to have a patch added to them (i think i saw a program called Wii bricker blocker or something)?
you could still do official ninty update but will erase your softmod. you don't have to patch a game to run if you use a loader or use priiloader hacks.
- Can the softmod be reverted (i.e. can I change the Wii back to how it was before the softmod)?
revirginize...yup. see here: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin
- If the Wii gets bricked, is it the end of its life?
not really. you could still recover if you have brick recovery apps like bootmii or priiloader.
- Can I still play games online?
of course. why not?
- Which type of mod is the least riskiest (I think I saw someone saying neogamma was a good one)?
least risky is by using any loader...yeah like neogamma. much risk if you do install cioscorp because it modifies majority of your wiis ios. better not do install cioscorp because you are hardmodded.
- Would I have to constantly update the version of the softmod to keep my Wii's softmod hidden?
what do you mean hidden? you have to update only if there is a necessity to do so, like playing newer games.
Thanks in advance!

hope this helps.

mistwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question:

I have an up to date softmodded wii, with bootmii installed on boot2. But I don't get the menu for bootmii every time; maybe half the time, and usually only when the Wii itself has been off for a while. Is that normal, or did I do something wrong?

rontonimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that if you install wads into the channels, and constantly add, and erase this will cause bad nand blocks is this true?

rontonimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mistwolf said:
Quick question:

I have an up to date softmodded wii, with bootmii installed on boot2. But I don't get the menu for bootmii every time; maybe half the time, and usually only when the Wii itself has been off for a while. Is that normal, or did I do something wrong?

Mine does this to, but When I power down bootmii comes up. when I reset priiloader comes up. As to why it does that IDK, but it works so I leave it that way. I'm pretty sure that bootmii is the safest against bricking.

chatshi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
longtom1 said:
just install the new HBC and bootmii and make a backup then use dop-ios to update your IOS's and then your system menu of your choice if it's 4.0 or 4.1 make sure to install IOS60 and for 4.2 install IOS70 before you install the system menu

Do I update the system menu through dop-ios as well?

card

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed USB loader, but decided that I'd rather play off backup discs, on firmware 4.2E. Is that possible? What do I need? Having to convert isos to wbfs is kind of a bother.

ng80092a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a question
i have a boot2v1/v2 wii on 3.4E
i have a nand backup of it
if i update my boot2 to boot2v4, will the previous boot2v1 backup work?

edujackass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to be just another noobie here trying to softmod his new wii...
tongue.gif

goal:

being able to run backed up games from my 500gb usb drive

situation:
buy date of the wii: 4-12-09 (netherlands)
disc drive: D3-2 (won't run dvdr's)
firmware version: 4.0E
after some googling and reading tutorials i downloaded Twilight hack but then found out it does not work and then downloaded bannerbomb and installed this, then downloaded gamma backup loader 0.3 and the homebrew channel wich after launch is able to start gamma 0.3 and cios 0.3 gamma by WiiGator.

so... annybody got some advice on what tutorial or what software i should install to get this setup working?

charlieg

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

my friend's wii got a problem when i softmodded this one, all was OK but when he play a game, at one point it's freezing and then the screen is black and he cannot do anything with his wii and then he must power off his wii .. he have a 3.3U Wii with Neogamma R7 in it .. Waninkoko cIOS rev14 .. can you tell me what is the problem ?

Thank You

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
edujackass said:
I'm sorry to be just another noobie here trying to softmod his new wii...
tongue.gif

goal:

being able to run backed up games from my 500gb usb drive

situation:
buy date of the wii: 4-12-09 (netherlands)
disc drive: D3-2 (won't run dvdr's)
firmware version: 4.0E
after some googling and reading tutorials i downloaded Twilight hack but then found out it does not work and then downloaded bannerbomb and installed this, then downloaded gamma backup loader 0.3 and the homebrew channel wich after launch is able to start gamma 0.3 and cios 0.3 gamma by WiiGator.

so... annybody got some advice on what tutorial or what software i should install to get this setup working?
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide/trucha

lavadude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
lavadude said:
Hi,
least risky is by using any loader...yeah like neogamma. much risk if you do install cioscorp because it modifies majority of your wiis ios. better not do install cioscorp because you are hardmodded.
hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply!!! I'm sorry, I have a couple more questions.

- I looked around at guides and I'm seeing that most of them tell me to patch to IOS249 and install cIOS (which modify the IOS files). From what I read, IOS249 and cIOS are safe to use and that they're not the same as cioscorp, right? So the chances of me bricking my system/running into problems is slim, if I follow instructions properly? I also assume that if patching IOS249 and cIOS is safe, so is applying the trucha bug restorer? (I'm sorry, i'm a bit paranoid and a few of my friends want me to help them do a softmod too)
- Are there different ways to update/install IOS249 and cIOS depending on whether the system has a modchip or not?
- Also, is there a difference between 4.2 and 4.2U (or is 4.2 a generalization of 4.2_, where _ is any letter)? Would I have to look for guides specifically for 4.2U if my system is at 4.2U?

Thanks in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7