Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Neuropod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have a wii that I bought used, knowing it didn't work, because it was cheap. Now, I don't mind doing a little research and repair work on my own, but it's been surprisingly hard to find useful information on this. I don't know the firmware version or anything like that because, well, nothing happens when I turn it on.

When I turn the system on, I just get a black screen. I can't synch the controller either. From my research so far, it seems the problem is most likely the bluetooth module. I don't think the previous owner tried and failed to install any sort of mods (soft or hard) but I guess I could be wrong about that.

Supposing it's just a naturally occuring hardware problem, my question is, am I right about it being the bluetooth module? And if so, is there a way to know for sure?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
buy a SaveMii dongle and read a lot, at last resource you'll need to buy a NAND programmer (infectus2 being the cheaper one) and have a steady pulse and a precision soldering pencil, contact bushing and send him 10 us dls to get a NAND.bin you can flash your Wii with...!!
smile.gif

PS I'm kind of in the same boat, buddy..!!
wink.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ether2802 said:
buy a SaveMii dongle and read a lot, at last resource you'll need to buy a NAND programmer (infectus2 being the cheaper one) and have a steady pulse and a precision soldering pencil, contact bushing and send him 10 us dls to get a NAND.bin you can flash your Wii with...!!
smile.gif

PS I'm kind of in the same boat, buddy..!!
wink.gif
You have a broken Bluetooth module?

Anyways (@ Neuropod) check http://savemii.net/troubleshooting.html
its most likely the bluetooth one cause you can't sync the mote

Neuropod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that flowchart was one of the main things that helped me figure out what's going on.

Is it really worth it to get the dongle though? I pretty much know what the problem is with a fair degree of certainty. As for your advice to read a lot, I've definitely been doing that, but it's pretty hard when there's so much jargon in this scene, haha. I tried the supposed "savemefrii" method but all I have to show for it is a disassembled gamecube controller.

Supposing I just buy a replacement BT module, has anyone ever replaced theirs? From looking at the photos it looks pretty simple, like I could just pop it off.

Kooper113

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Well I have had no issues at all on disc or USB, so if you say that the same disc worked fine on other friend's console, then your friend have a better cIOS installed, ask him wich one he has and install the same one in your Wii, I have cIOS_r10 BTW...!!
smile.gif

So the cIOS would be a direct cause of compatibility? Thanks! I was never very sure where to start. I used the Twilight exploit a long while ago, so it's most likely outdated stuff, I just didn't know where to start.

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did i just brick? I went to power on my wii today, only to get to a black screen?!?!?! I can still access preloader, but thats it. Any way to recover?

dolyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question that I hope somebody can answer. I've been out of the scene for a few months, so I'm catching up on all the new releases.

Anyways, my friend wants me to to install a USB Loader on his Wii so he can play backups. He is currently on FW 3.4. My question is, do I need to downgrade his firmware to 3.2 to get CIOS36_REV10 installed? Or is that not necessary anymore? Here are the steps that I think need to be done, let me know if I am missing something.

1. Install HBC via twilight hack.
2. Use Wad Manager to install IOS16
3. Use Custom Wad Manager to install CIOS_FIX (Not sure if this step is needed anymore)
4. Install CIOS36_Rev10
5. Run USB loader through HBC

Let me know if this is all I need, or if it's still necessary to downgrade to 3.2 or instal CIOS_FIX.

Thank you everybody!!

Kidouken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I've been trying to get the USB loader to recognize my USB hard drive. I'm using a Western Digital Essential My Passport 250gb, which is supposed to work, but I can't seem to get it recognized. On usb loader 1.2 and 1.5, it gives me the ret -1 error. On Cover Flow, which I'm using now, it says "USB device not found". I've tried connecting after formatting the drive (raw) with WBFS manager 3.0, but it was a no go. I've tried connecting formatted with FAT and NTFS. I've tried formatting to WBFS from FAT and NTFS and then connecting, with no luck. I've also tried connecting with just a raw drive.

I've tried connecting with a regular FAT kingston traveler 1gb flashdrive, but it wasn't detected either. So far, my Wii hasn't detected anything out of the USB slots as far as can see.

I don't know if it's supposed to happen like this, but the WBFS manager will always give me a successful format no matter what format I'm converting from. I also noticed that even though it says that the drive is formatted as WBFS, if I go to the disk manager, the disk will still be raw, or fat, or NTFS. It also does it in like half a second if that's normal. I can load isos on it just fine btw.

I'm on cios rev13, 3.2U if that matters too.

I've tried pretty much everything I could think of, and I'm at the end of my rope. Any help guys, and girls =]?

Schubdogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kidouken,

First off, once you format the drive w/ WBFS manager, do you choose that drive letter and click "load" then copy backups from your PC to it? Or are you trying to rip them straight from the Wii?

Secondly, after you format as WBFS (yes, it only takes like 1-2 seconds...) you will still see it as "raw" in your disk management. It should show up in your "My Computer" as a drive letter but not accessible.

Third, have you tried plugging it into the other USB port on the back of the Wii? I know w/ rev13 it is picky on which USB port you use. You'd be surprised if that was your issue.

Edit: Also, if none of that works, install cIOS rev10 over rev13

superstevestamp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I am what you'd call king of the n00bs on here. A while back I successfully installed the HBC and I am able to play emulated games just fine. But recently I heard that there was a way to play backups of actual wii games? and also that it's possible to do this using a USB drive? I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a complete idiot's section where every detail about how to do this is spelled out. I've been searching this forum all night and it doesn't make sense to me so if anyone is patient enough to help me I'd REALLY appreciate it. I feel like a moron but I REALLY want to learn how to do this, and I figure hey, I figured out how to install the homebrew channel so with the right instructions I can figure this out too. I guess what I need to know is what (if any) files, programs, apps, etc I need to do this. If anyone is willing to help me step by step that would be incredible, but I'll settle for a REEEEEEEEEALLY simplified tutorial. I know I'm rambling, haha. Please help this n00b.

Steve

absolut3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the Ultra Noob Question. Does my wii need to be modded (as in takin apart and soldering some chip on) to load backups from my harddrive?

wiiluver135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok I got the gamecube backup launcher to load up my copy of action replay 1.14 but I was bacl and white and flashing...so I loaded it from the wii backup launcher and it fixed the problem.

Now that that's been straightened out here's my question: I wanna go about backing up Soul Calibur 2 and SSBM onto one disc, but I've searched and nothing came up with some type of tutorial that could help me use "GCOS V4F Final (fixed version)" so I need to know before I burn anything: how do I go about putting two or more GCN backups on one disc?

and question...it's kinda small: is there anyway for me to manually type my ar codes into some type of code manager on the computer then manually typing then in under the ar disc?

i.heart.piracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone was wondering, I figured out what was wrong with the Gamcecube multidisk problem I was having a few pages back. Apparently the newest GCOS frontend automatically creates ISO's in PAL, even if you switch it to NTSC, which was causing the weird black-and-white falling screen issues. I switched to using WiiUI v1.40 instead, and it worked like a charm; can boot both games off of the one disk now.

Which is my advice to this question:

wiiluver135 said:
ok I got the gamecube backup launcher to load up my copy of action replay 1.14 but I was bacl and white and flashing...so I loaded it from the wii backup launcher and it fixed the problem.

Now that that's been straightened out here's my question: I wanna go about backing up Soul Calibur 2 and SSBM onto one disc, but I've searched and nothing came up with some type of tutorial that could help me use "GCOS V4F Final (fixed version)" so I need to know before I burn anything: how do I go about putting two or more GCN backups on one disc?

and question...it's kinda small: is there anyway for me to manually type my ar codes into some type of code manager on the computer then manually typing then in under the ar disc?

Don't use GCOS Multigame Creator; use WiiUI v1.40. It's a very simple application, and you can find it HERE.

muuh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm running short on space on my wii, so I would like to update to 4.0.
What's the easiest way to do it without losing all the good stuff?

i.heart.piracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
muuh said:
I'm running short on space on my wii, so I would like to update to 4.0.
What's the easiest way to do it without losing all the good stuff?

If you already have HBC and everything installed, you should be fine; AFAIK you won't lose any functionality. The problem is if you haven't softmodded yet and you go ahead and install 4.0; then you need to use the Bannerbomb exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good afternoon