Nokia 8000 Streaming Box Update Can't Access Apps Folder

sonictopfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yesterday my Nokia 8000 Streaming Box received a firmware update, Android 12 which increases securely, now half of my emulators can no longer access my storage to load Roms and I can no longer access Android/App folder to add Roms to emulators such as Yabasanshiro, is there a way or an app that lets me access the App folder again?

sonictopfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are these on internal or external storage?

Edit:

Are the apps up to date?
External and yes all apps are up to date.

Edit: I should elaborate, I installed a usb hard drive as external storage formatted to work on the system as internal, so I can install apps on it and extend my storage, so I guess it counts as internal.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yesterday my Nokia 8000 Streaming Box received a firmware update, Android 12 which increases securely, now half of my emulators can no longer access my storage to load Roms and I can no longer access Android/App folder to add Roms to emulators such as Yabasanshiro, is there a way or an app that lets me access the App folder again?
In Settings->Apps->Special app access there is a permission for "All files access"
File explorers should (I think) have full storage access once you grant it permission to access files (they are exempt from the stupid scoped storage policy), I use Solid Explorer and I don't remember manually having to enable it in special app access for that. Solid explorer also works well on Android TV, you have to sideload it though.

I wish emulators would not be accepting this bullshit. Google requires any app targeting SDK 30 (Android 11) and up to use scoped storage. Nothing prevents them from targeting SDK 29 and continuing to use the legacy storage policy, which in my opinion is far more user friendly, specifically for emulators. I am not used to the Android folder containing important save data and I would much rather have my emulator data on the storage root, like it used to be, so I can easily see it/access it to transfer it over to my new phone, transfer save data between my phone and other devices, etc. For most other apps, it makes no difference, the data stored in there isn't important anyway. But fuck you Google for making this mandatory across the board. It doesn't make sense for everything and it shouldn't be mandatory.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

sonictopfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In Settings->Apps->Special app access there is a permission for "All files access"
File explorers should (I think) have full storage access once you grant it permission to access files (they are exempt from the stupid scoped storage policy), I use Solid Explorer and I don't remember manually having to enable it in special app access for that. Solid explorer also works well on Android TV, you have to sideload it though.
No good, I installed Solid Explorer and set permission to have full access but still no access to Android/App and Android/Obb folders.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No good, I installed Solid Explorer and set permission to have full access but still no access to Android/App and Android/Obb folders.
Isn't app data in Android/data and not in Android/app? And app just contains apps that were moved to SD (which shouldn't really need to be accessed) and similarly for obb (since it just contains additional app content like assets)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I meant Android/data not Android/app.
It seems like only Shizuku + FV File Manager can bypass it on newer devices/ROMs but on older ones you can uninstall updates for the stock "Files" app (which is what seems to break it)
Seems like you have to grant access to the specific folder, it's the only exception to "All files access". Which kind of makes sense, you don't want apps to be able to access app data of other apps (generally).
The stupid thing is that the user can't access their own files on their own phone anymore, because all apps are treated equally, even file explorers. There should be an exception for file explorers because it's kind of important that the user is able to access app data in some cases.
ADB would probably work, it has max permissions and doesn't go through an app. But you need to connect to another device (usually a computer) normally to use ADB, it can't be used locally without jumping through hoops, so it's hardly a good alternative to being able to do things directly on device, with a GUI.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Bunjolio, Lmao