No more internet flat rates in germany, ISP calls americans parasites

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Lol, that makes way more sense. Why not say "uncapped"?
Because they will only be capping traffic from their competitors, so it's not capped/uncapped, it's "charged differently based on content."

A lot of ISP's do that actually. According to this article (and I'm not sure how accurate or up to date it is, so keep that in mind), over 64% of US broadband subscribers have a cap.
But they cap all content, period. Telekom on the other hand will provide unlimited access to its own content, and cap/restrict everything else. That's the main issue.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I get net through telekom. As it's an old contract, I shouldn't be affected for some time. However if they change contracts, I'm pretty sure I have the right to switch to whomever I want.

As several isps already made a point to say "we won't cap anything" (of course, hoping to catch all those that leave telekom) things will be ok.

I don't agree with the telekom argument though; the German internet has so much free capacities at all times that any significant increase in traffic costs merely cents and telekom is already asking pretty high prices for their connections.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I read the article in Googlish. It appears Telekom is upset its users are using massive bandwidth for Youtube viewing. I guess they see the American company Google as the 'leechers' and profiting off their bandwidth cost.
It's probably all the cat videos and whatnot that started this.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I'll be staying at a students apartment (Marburg), so I don't really know which one are they using, I guess a can hire another one but that would increase the apartment fee :/
Colleges and their student apartments are usually independent of ISPs. They sometimes implement some really weird restrictions for the student apartments though.

Reactions: jowan

Kyle Hyde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The title of this topic is misleading. It's true, Telekom will proceed as described here (and most likely loose a whole bunch of customers) but as Muddy mentioned, you still have the choice of changing the ISP. By now every competitor of Telekom used the opportunity and promised not to cap internet-rates. And because of this I actually think Telekom won't keep their strategy for too long. Their arguments are bullshit too. They talk about an extreme increase of data traffic. Germany never was the fastest in terms of internet speed. The rates here can't be high at all, compared to other countries. Look at S.Korea or Japan which have a comparable amount of citizens. Still their ISPs provide way more range, way faster traffic for way less money. Telekom will run out of arguments.

jowan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Colleges and their student apartments are usually independent of ISPs. They sometimes implement some really weird restrictions for the student apartments though.
Well then I guess I don't need to worry? :D Thanks a lot!...Still there's this 40GB per month restriction :/..any ways I can live with that :D

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought my uncapped 80/10 connection(according to my cisco E4200 we used 9,2TB this month) was slow o.o
*me downloads another fullhd movie with his QNAP in a few minutes

Sang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You aren't really right. some politicians and the government are threatening telekom for their move. yes I am from Germany and read the newspaper. Also, this is only for customers AFTER 2016. The customers which already had a internet contract by telekom aren't affected at all.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
First no free refills, now no free internet?

What the hell happened to you guys? You used to be cool.
Yeah, things have really gone downhill since Hitler "stepped down" as leader.

If this is a move against Google and Yahoo!, how long before one of them buys a telecoms company in Germany and takes over? I could see Google doing that purely out of spite.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You aren't really right. some politicians and the government are threatening telekom for their move. yes I am from Germany and read the newspaper. Also, this is only for customers AFTER 2016. The customers which already had a internet contract by telekom aren't affected at all.
Well, I just summed up quick what the source said. As always, doesn't mean the source is right in everything it said, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh