Gaming No more DS games for the Wii U?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What about a game like spirit tracks/ phantom hourglass? They IMO are perfect for wii u.

I've never played them, but after watching a few gameplay videos I can see how they'd fit the Wii U. Really a missed opportunity though, should've been included with the Wind Waker HD bundle as additional perks... :|

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never played them, but after watching a few gameplay videos I can see how they'd fit the Wii U. Really a missed opportunity though, should've been included with the Wind Waker HD bundle as additional perks... :|
They both are underrated and I agree that the wind waker bundle should've included these as the were direct sequels to the game

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They both are underrated and I agree that the wind waker bundle should've included these as the were direct sequels to the game

At this point it's really a stretch to say Nintendo is committed to Virtual Console. Nintendo DS and GameCube games have been promised for a very long time now and I just don't see anything happening towards that.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At this point it's really a stretch to say Nintendo is committed to Virtual Console. Nintendo DS and GameCube games have been promised for a very long time now and I just don't see anything happening towards that.
Yeah, hopefully nintendo do some GC and DS VC as some of my favourite game are on these to consoles.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, hopefully nintendo do some GC and DS VC as some of my favourite game are on these to consoles.

One option is to use Nintendont, as it supports GameCube controllers using the official adapter (though good luck finding one at this moment). And for DS games, I'd personally get a second hand DS or a 3DS. Nintendo doesn't want your money so you can play your fancy games on the Wii U.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One option is to use Nintendont, as it supports GameCube controllers using the official adapter (though good luck finding one at this moment). And for DS games, I'd personally get a second hand DS or a 3DS. Nintendo doesn't want your money so you can play your fancy games on the Wii U.
Does nintendont work with latest firmware since I wasn't going to hack my wii u until I could fully homebrew my console.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its sad how much more love Nintendo (and its partners at the time) game to the Virtual Console for the Wii while the Wii U has been needlessly shunned. It's so backwards it is baffling. First of all the eShop is a much bigger success than the Wii Shop Channel ever was, its easier and much more intuitive to use, the console naturally has far more room to support many donwloads, and frankly digital sales are much more common in this day and age than they were when the Wii was popular.

Beyond that, Nintendo has apparently not bothered to (or failed to) get deals made with the various 3rd party consoles that the Wii once hosted virtual console games for.

Seriously, lets look at the virtual console systems that both host(ed), disregarding the fact that you can get to any Wii VC title on a Wii U via the vWii:

Wii:
NES
SNES
N64
Arcade
Genesis
Master Stystem
TurboGrafx-16
Neo Geo AES
Commodore 64 (games can no longer be bought though, if you missed a chance to buy them they are gone, but you can redownload any if you ever did purchase them)
MSX (Japan only)

Wii U:
NES
SNES
GBA
DS (one title, not even available in America)
TurboGrafx-16 (Japan only)
MSX (Japan only)

In the past they said N64 games would come to the Wii U VC, but so far no dice, and they at one point entertained the idea of Gamecube games for the Wii U VC, but again, so far nothing.

So with that in mind, and if I'm only looking at America, the Wii's VC supported 9 consoles. While the Wii U supports 3. We had to trade away 7 consoles for the benefit of gaining GBA games?

As someone with a hacked vWii and all the emulators and Nintendont, this isn't a huge loss. But the main appeal for me is that the Wii U VC games can be played on the gamepad with the actual gamepad controller. While I can view all my emulators and vWii VC titles on the gamepad, it is still annoying to have to utilize another controller in tandem with the gamepad.

So I guess that gets me to my real issue here. I know Nintendo will never do everything that I want them to, and I'm fine with that, especially when the softmodders and homebrew scene are so good at taking care of all the things that Nintendo decides against doing. But there is one major thing the scene hasn't done yet, as far as I understand its possible, but it'll be a long time (if ever that we see it done): Find a way to get the Wii U gamepad to be recognized as a controller in the vWii homebrew programs and emulators. If that could happen, I'd be so happy, and wouldn't give another care at all about how stupidly backwards the VC situation is for the Wii U as opposed to what it was for the Wii right now.

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Very good post duffmmann, though what's painfully clear from reading your post is that all of the problems related to Virtual Console boil down to the Wii U GamePad and how it's supported. It's no surprise to say even Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U GamePad. They gave us this pipe dream that things will look brighter and better with it, but the real world experience is everything but.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
if they don't care about the GamePad than why is both starfox and zelda U going to be using it's motion BS.

What's your point? We just had Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker that exclusively supports the Wii U GamePad and people are commenting the game should support other controllers as well. Then there's Kirby and the Rainbow Curse that has divided opinions on the Wii U GamePad very strongly: why buy a game for a console that connects to a TV if I have to look down on a crappy non-HD touch screen?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should utilize the Gamepad, but only where necessary, don't just shove a required gamepad control into a game if it doesn't have to be required. For example, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse looks like a game that absolutely should utilize the gamepad. Level design in Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros absolutely make sense with the gamepad. And so many of those asymmetrical gameplay ideas shown off with Nintendoland that we haven't seen much of since should also make use of the gamepad for clever multiplayer use. I love the gamepad, but if a game shouldn't have to require it, don't make it a requirement, simply make it optional, they are good about this pretty often, but they're also inconsistent when its not optional (when it easily could be) for games like Toad Treasure Tracker.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo should utilize the Gamepad, but only where necessary, don't just shove a required gamepad control into a game if it doesn't have to be required. For example, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse looks like a game that absolutely should utilize the gamepad. Level design in Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros absolutely make sense with the gamepad. And so many of those asymmetrical gameplay ideas shown off with Nintendoland that we haven't seen much of since should also make use of the gamepad for clever multiplayer use. I love the gamepad, but if a game shouldn't have to require it, don't make it a requirement, simply make it optional, they are good about this pretty often, but they're also inconsistent when its not optional (when it easily could be) for games like Toad Treasure Tracker.

For some stages it makes sense that Captain Toad uses the GamePad but others? The Wii U Pro Controller would handle it perfectly.

Stages like this:
zlCfzS1Q-Wsz9ip4XY

These ones are easily my favourite of the entire game itself.

Now, if there was something that I'd like changed/improved is to be able to turn ON and OFF the motion camera. It's a horrendous feature that doesn't serve any good to the game.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
For some stages it makes sense that Captain Toad uses the GamePad but others? The Wii U Pro Controller would handle it perfectly.

Stages like this:
zlCfzS1Q-Wsz9ip4XY

These ones are easily my favourite of the entire game itself.

Now, if there was something that I'd like changed/improved is to be able to turn ON and OFF the motion camera. It's a horrendous feature that doesn't serve any good to the game.

I wonder though if even those segments would've been better with the Wiimote. I honestly feel like Nintendo should've stuck with the Wiimotes for a bit longer. They feel entirely useless next to my Wii U games. Only the early Wii U games took some advantage of them, while they were more ubiquitous, but now? It's hopeless to think there'll be any support for Wiimotes in upcoming games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)