Hacking Nintendo's next-gen handheld?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically a PSP with touch screen and nintendo's games.
biggrin.gif

Funnily enough, I've just reread the whole thread, and that seems to be pretty much what most people want, they just haven't had the balls, or sense, to say it.
Dear, just because it has nice graphics doesn't make it a PSP.

sonicstorm

Gamertag: Calogero91 add me.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Please get rid of the stupid touch screen. I would kill to see something more along the lines of a portable gamecube then another stupid DS. I want to see nintendo challenge graphics, portability and ease of play. I think the DS is probably the most unportable handheld, 80% of the time that I play mine I find it so unconfortable to hold and I end up putting it down a table or desk. Please nintendo lets see a portable gamecube.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please get rid of the stupid touch screen. I would kill to see something more along the lines of a portable gamecube then another stupid DS. I want to see nintendo challenge graphics, portability and ease of play. I think the DS is probably the most unportable handheld, 80% of the time that I play mine I find it so unconfortable to hold and I end up putting it down a table or desk. Please nintendo lets see a portable gamecube.

Yeah i'm sure a portable Gamecube would be comfortable.
I mean who wouldn't want to hold a cube, much better than holding a DS.

iffy525

not famous
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

Yeah i'm sure a portable Gamecube would be comfortable.
I mean who wouldn't want to hold a cube, much better than holding a DS.
lol nice comeback. its cool to see that my thread has come back. i would like a thinner ds with widescreen screens and better graphics (of course).

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd also like something like a portable gamecube. Perhaps with a single large touchscreen with multiple input for whatever reason, and backwards compatibility with gamecube (if they chose to release only one supporting gamecube games, it wouldn't go very far.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also like something like a portable gamecube. Perhaps with a single large touchscreen with multiple input for whatever reason, and backwards compatibility with gamecube (if they chose to release only one supporting gamecube games, it wouldn't go very far.
Backwards compatibility with Gamecube?

Not going to happen.

gigermunit

Trophies
Website
gigermunit.uni.cc
XP
Country
United States
Didnt nintendo already announce that the next "ds" will have a bigger screen and multimedia features? because im sure as hell i read it from a article they had with the ds development team.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd still like dual screens, but with
- widescreen display on both, similar to the PSP
- clamshell design. PERFECT for handhelds so screens don't get scratched. One of the reasons the DS is a better "portable" than the PSP
- Gamecube+ graphics. in a few years, I'm SURE this will be incredibly easy to do.
-multimeda built in, with support for pretty much all formats, .mpg/.ogg/.mpg/.avi/.mp4, you get it.
- better online interface, unified friend system, voice chat within games and in player hosted servers. Also, built in browser with all of the normal things (flash 9+ support, audio, video, you know)
-built in system memory or memory stick compatibility for downloadable content and media
- CARTRIDGE based games. PSP (even though I have one) has showed that discs are NOT the way to go for portables. They break easily, decrease battery life because of power used for the disk drive, and loading times suck. Cartridge based media up to 2GB I'm sure will be relatively inexpensive by the time the next handheld gen rolls around, and IMO that's plenty of space. I load all of my .csos off of my sandisk ultra II mem stick for my PSP and the difference between my times and my friends are huge. glad I never bought a UMD.

I'm sure that the way technology is going, in a few years this would be less than $200 to put together. I mean, the PSP already has most of this, and the rest is mainly software related.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd still like dual screens, but with
- widescreen display on both, similar to the PSP
- clamshell design. PERFECT for handhelds so screens don't get scratched. One of the reasons the DS is a better "portable" than the PSP
- Gamecube+ graphics. in a few years, I'm SURE this will be incredibly easy to do.
-multimeda built in, with support for pretty much all formats, .mpg/.ogg/.mpg/.avi/.mp4, you get it.
- better online interface, unified friend system, voice chat within games and in player hosted servers. Also, built in browser with all of the normal things (flash 9+ support, audio, video, you know)
-built in system memory or memory stick compatibility for downloadable content and media
- CARTRIDGE based games. PSP (even though I have one) has showed that discs are NOT the way to go for portables. They break easily, decrease battery life because of power used for the disk drive, and loading times suck. Cartridge based media up to 2GB I'm sure will be relatively inexpensive by the time the next handheld gen rolls around, and IMO that's plenty of space. I load all of my .csos off of my sandisk ultra II mem stick for my PSP and the difference between my times and my friends are huge. glad I never bought a UMD.

I'm sure that the way technology is going, in a few years this would be less than $200 to put together. I mean, the PSP already has most of this, and the rest is mainly software related.

Just to elaborate, i would like to see the DS2 have 128 MB internal memory. This would be plenty for the OS/firmware and then multimedia functions, especially a browser. With 128 MB, three should be no problems viewing most websites.

If possible, they should keep the DS cartridge size and if possible, increase the size these carts can hold (a couple years from now this should be inexpensive as you pointed out). Backwards compatibility is a must obviously, but if they must go with a new cart size/form for speed purposes, then drop the GBA slot and replace it with the DS. That's about all i care about in terms of specs, including your post.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
7rds2.jpg

Bad drawing skill
tongue.gif

Same size as NDSL

2 screens
-top screen : wide hi-res screen
-botton screen : samesize hi-res screen

SD / TF slot(maybe a dust coversize gba TF card reader, can put out for play GBA or for other DS expansion)

multimedia (mp3/AVI)
web browser
PDA
better mic+camera+better wifi = webcam/Voip

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
For sure, it'll have a lot better graphics (PSP level or better) and probably a bigger screen since GBA's screen is bigger than GB and DS's screen is bigger then GBA's.. graphics, bigger screen and better sound are obvious.

Well.. the two screens should be kept if Nintendo want to keep the backwards compability, they've been doing this since the GBC so I think it's going to happen with the "DS2" also.

What I think Nintendo should do for the next DS is:
- Add touch to the other screen. Most people that I show my DS to, once they realize that there's a touch screen, they try to touch the other screen..
- Virtual Console! Add more internal memory to it and some kind of Virtual Console with Game Boy, Game Gear and Neo Geo Pocket games.. maybe even NES and SNES games and original content!
biggrin.gif

- Native SD card support. The Wii already have it.. would be cool to share save files and Virtual Console games..
- Motion sense.. not like the Wii.. that would be stupid.. but something like Warioware twisted could be cool for some games.
- Camera? Maybe.. Could be usefull..

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally disagree with all the multimedia suggestions... this is a gameplayer. A web browser would be nice though.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you're definitely in the minority. Most people want more bang for their buck, and if you look around and see all the backs of the flashcard boxes that advertise "multimedia" capabilities, you'd definitely see that MANY people want media capabilities in their game systems. I mean, this is the 21st century. You only have so much space in your pocket, and all in one machines are the norm. Phones, game systems, .mp3/video players. All try to be your one and only necessart gadget.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi