Hacking Nintendo's next-gen handheld?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
clearly multi-touch bottom screen and the following idea by myself:
replace the D-Pad with a round, capacitive touch pad. depending on the configuration, it can emulate D-Pad, thumbstick, trackball or paddle. On the right, something similar, but smaller, below the buttons as C-Pad (again thumbstick, button and trackball emulation).

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Multitouchscreen.
Much better Wlan.
Built in SD ( or Transflash) card support for mp3s , videos.
Built in Webbrowser.
Built in PDA like software. (something like DSorganize)
IRC built in.
Camera.
Much better graphics.
Maybe analog stick.

Oh and bigger screens.
It would be great if you could rotate them so you have an widescreen one.
cool.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should just make a DS Advance.

1. Replace d-pad with a joystick. Put a hole in the top of the clamshell for it to snap in.

2. Better graphics. A given anyways.

3. Slightly larger screen.

4. Clearer and louder speakers.

5. More ergonomic design. This shit doesn't fit my hands.

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I kinda expect a built in camera, maybe a gyro sensor too

cameras are common to cellphones, and a camera can be plugged into the gba slot already.

I'd expect a similar design to the DS, 2 screens, possibly both touch sensitive, the specs atleast psp level, but hopefully gamecube level.
and some sort of online service to download DS, SNES, GBA etc games

and a thing where you can pay like $5 US to have wifi anywhere, everywhere..

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
Give me a redesigned PSP with gamecube graphics, uses the same DS carts, just larger (2 GB - 4 GB). This means it will be backwards compatible with DS games. When i say a redesigned PSP, basically the same size in terms of the screen, just two of them. Considering the size of the PSP Slim, with 2 screens it would be slightly thicker than the original PSP, so not bad. Definitely a better online system, browser support (Firefox?).

*Edit, touch screen functionality must remain (and it should) on the bottom screen (only). Imagine the gamecubes engine/cpu with touch screen support...

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I, personally, am more interested in what Sony is working on.
get out
yaypsp.gif

not sure why people don't want motion sensing, warioware twisted was a lot of fun, I'd love for more games to have sequences where you need to tilt to do stuff.
Imagine playing an FPS on the next handheld, and you tilt to peek around corners etc, that'd work great

No, to be honest that's a horrible idea. I've said it before and I'll say it again, motion oriented gimmicks won't add anything to the gameplay. It will just make it worse, seeing as how it's tough to keep track of things on such a small screen, even when you aren't flipping it every which way to fire a cannon out of your ass around the corner at a Goomba.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, to be honest that's a horrible idea. I've said it before and I'll say it again, motion oriented gimmicks won't add anything to the gameplay. It will just make it worse, seeing as how it's tough to keep track of things on such a small screen, even when you aren't flipping it every which way to fire a cannon out of your ass around the corner at a Goomba.

Thats a good point lol.
laugh.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QFT.

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dual touch screen = insta-failure, especially if you want hi-res screens, the touch pad that goes over the LCD screens takes away from quality. Also, no motion sensing please, look at the DS Lite. If the next gen handheld is designed anything like the DSL, then we do not need more things putting pressure on hinges.

What I want? One high quality LED screen with a proper plastic layer to prevent scratches. For case? None of that glossy plastic, analog stick, pressure sensitive shoulder buttons. Basically, a rebirth of the Gameboy line... because IMO Gameboy Advance had a really quality library that I often fall back on when I see the gimmicky DS junk.

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lose the face buttons. The entire bottom portion (since the clamshell design is noice) of the handheld would be a multi-touch screen. One section on each side of the screen would be for the buttons. The reason for this? Forget having to use preset controls for each game. Move the buttons around to your liking, so you can compensate for hand size, inconvenience of buttons, ect.

That's pretty much what i want too, but i think you have to have it both screens. For developing applications like pda's and browsers, it would be so much easier if input was available to both screens.

I think that's the way things are heading - multifunction devices. Microsoft's and Sony's consoles are trying to take over all our media needs (apparently, but I don't own either). I think handhelds need to make the same move, but not including a phone. Phones now are a good size for phones, and the DSLite is a good size for a handheld. Even allowing for the use of a headset, so you could leave the DS in your pocket, there are always going to be some situations where you can't (or don't want to) take something the size of the DS with you (I'm thinking about the pub).

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Lose the face buttons. The entire bottom portion (since the clamshell design is noice) of the handheld would be a multi-touch screen. One section on each side of the screen would be for the buttons. The reason for this? Forget having to use preset controls for each game. Move the buttons around to your liking, so you can compensate for hand size, inconvenience of buttons, ect.
The idea of replacing all the physical buttons with one flat plane is terrible.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo could go super-tech, and have a system where parts of the screen could raise, for buttons.
Well since we're now discussing things that are completely unplausible, I think the next DS will read your mind and know what you're going to do before you do it. That would completely eliminate the need for buttons!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉