Nintendo's next-gen handheld?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by iffy525, Aug 23, 2007.

Aug 23, 2007

Nintendo's next-gen handheld? by iffy525 at 7:15 PM (9,912 Views / 0 Likes) 149 replies

1. iffy525
    OP

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    I've been thinking about this lately - what will Nintendo's next-gen handheld be?
    I thought since the ds is already really interactive with the touch screen and dual-screen and all that it would be hard for Nintendo to come up with something even more original than it. I don't know what it will be like, maybe like a built in camera and/or gyro-sensor.

What do you think Nintendo's next-gen handheld will be? Please include a description of what it will include.

P.S. If you have ideas on Nintendo's next-gen console too, i have started a topic in the wii games and general discussion section about it.

2. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I kinda expect a built in camera, maybe a gyro sensor too

cameras are common to cellphones, and a camera can be plugged into the gba slot already.

I'd expect a similar design to the DS, 2 screens, possibly both touch sensitive, the specs atleast psp level, but hopefully gamecube level.
    and some sort of online service to download DS, SNES, GBA etc games

3. Hiro_x2

Newcomer Hiro_x2 Member

next update will probably just be a respin of chips to lower mfg costs. nintendo always seems to update their screens when new tech comes online as well. so you could potentially see a better screen if one comes out on the market at the time they wish to do a refresh)

maybe some internal flash and software to make it function more like a PDA or daily planner.

regardless, it'll probably be an evolutionary update rather then something revolutionary.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    They've patented a motion sensitive handheld so I'm guessing it'll be pretty much the same but more powerful (probably GC standard) with two touch screens (that can handle being multi touching) and motion control. Motion control would probably be more like Wario Ware Twisted, Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and maybe Mag-Kid. Maybe a built in camera as well as mic.

I'm expecting some sort of GC style discs but not backwards compatible with GC games. DS compatible with a DS slot that doubles for memory purposes perhaps.

I reckon it'll have some channels like the Wii did with a VC that'll included handheld classics as well as SNES, NES etc. Maybe video and MP3 support too and I definitely think it'll have PDA features, though probably basic.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Whatever the next one is, I hope they stick with a cart format. Moving parts in a handheld is not a good thing. Besides, ROMs are easier to deal with than disks or ISO's. [​IMG]

6. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Just a powerful handheld with one screen and motion sensors. Thats all I want. Gamecube power, so it can emulate all the consoles.

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I just want a one screenen, nice graphic handheld.

With cool colors....and faceplates again.

8. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    That's PSP alright [​IMG]

9. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Scratch my last comment, I just want another GBA...

10. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Motion sensitive handheld = business failure. Defeats the point of a handheld entirely. I'd like to see built in media capabilities, DS backwards compatibility, built in internet, larger and higher res screens, and two touch screens. A built in browser and online Picto/voice chat without friend codes would also be mandatory.

11. HeatMan Advance

Member HeatMan Advance GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just want a Ne0-Geo style thumb stick but with analog control.

Everything else can just take their natural course of upgrades.

12. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    All I hope for is that Nintendo moves the barcode so I don't get annoyed by the peeling sticker.

And some other upgrades most people above me stated. They can do it if they decide not to be cheap. But they won't.

13. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Bigger screens, camera, motion sensor, cell phone, gps, digital radio.
    Oh and it HAS to be R4 compatible!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Crescent

Member Crescent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol seeing how nintendo has the most creative ideas
    its probably going to be virtual reality in the the generation after the next

15. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Superior battery life, improved touch capabilities (no stylus this time?), improved graphics, increased durability, more robust online, more robust "operating system", bigger screen(s), backward compatibility with DS. Improved copyright protection (maybe via download service) and a smiling Miyamoto sticker built into each system. GBDS!

Motion sensing would not make sense, other than one for change in orientation like the iPhone. It's already bad enough watching people on the train yelling at their Nintendog. An analog joystick would not be a good thing imo.

16. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Lose the face buttons. The entire bottom portion (since the clamshell design is noice) of the handheld would be a multi-touch screen. One section on each side of the screen would be for the buttons. The reason for this? Forget having to use preset controls for each game. Move the buttons around to your liking, so you can compensate for hand size, inconvenience of buttons, ect.

The top screen, if there is one, should remain a normal screen. Two touch screens would be too much. A motion sensor thingie would be a bad idea too. And of course, no moving parts.

Obviously an upgrade in power and such is in order, and the addition of internal flash memory would be awesome. Backwards compatibility with DS games is almost a given since Nintendo has been doing that for all their handhelds(afaik).

17. swiitness

Member swiitness GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yeah something like a DS Wii

18. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
    I, personally, am more interested in what Sony is working on.

19. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    get out [​IMG]

not sure why people don't want motion sensing, warioware twisted was a lot of fun, I'd love for more games to have sequences where you need to tilt to do stuff.
    Imagine playing an FPS on the next handheld, and you tilt to peek around corners etc, that'd work great

20. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Multi-touch screen is a must. It opens up a whole heap of gameplay possibilities